U20 Fixtures

well_army

It's a difficult one with the U20's. I suppose in part it comes down to what your aims are from the team.

The poor start last season was attributed in part to the late appointment of an U20 coach, the appointment of which itself drew remarks from some posters that the current incumbent was perhaps a cheaper option than some other interested candidates. Yet for all that when we got to the close of the campaign and the bulk of the players involved were youths and not so many first teamers it seemed like we had hit a vein of form.

Another poor start this year has seen the question marks return.

The results themselves don't really bother me at all. It has been a stated intention of the club in the past to blood players as far up the youth ladder as they can, as early as they can and in the past this has seen some miss-matches which and will contribute to results to a degree also. Perhaps it puts additional pressure on some of the players playing above their "level" but it suggests to me that results aren't critical to the club.

Whilst its nice to win for me ultimately as a club we are spending money on youth development to get players into the first team squad so they can make a contribution there and if we are lucky earn us a few quid at the end of it. So if we lost every game this season but somehow two or three players "made it" then that's a result as far as I'm concerned.

And be it through choice or necessity we are still seeing them come through in Carswell, ZFA, Moore and Erwin currently.

It also doesn't perhaps help that so close to home our neighbours across the Clyde seem in rude health in comparison to us with a team that looked far our superior recently and they can also point to the recent successes of McCarthy and McArthur going through their set-up as a selling point, when you compare us results wise currently.

But I suppose JJ, McCall and Young will be the only ones who will have a full handle on what they want from the U20's and where they think we are.

Apologies for the ignorance but what is Gordon Young's position within the youth set up now? Does he oversee the work done by the coaches across all the age groups?

He is Academy Director, in charge of the youth set-up from under-17s down to the youngest ones. The 20s are full-time, and are not part of the Academy.

Some valid points being made and some not so in my humble opinion.

The U/20's are full time professional footballers who are essentially playing in what is the Club's reserve team. They also play in competitive league and cup competitions which maybe shows results do count. Remember these guys are being paid to play and win games at this level.

Results are therefore of some importance as are individual performance and attitude. This season has seen the team without a few of the players whom I would term the backbone of the side who came under the 1993 and 1994 years of birth and were brought into the pro game under G Young.

Several of these players have gone onto the 1st team squad and the coaching they received from G Young and coaches prior to him has stood them in good stead. From my viewpoint there is a lack of on field leadership, will to win and a desire to progress by means of hard work.

It is ok for JJ to state some of them are younger than their opponents, but in reality this doesn't always stack up, as the opposition teams play players of similar ages to Well, from what I have seen.

With regard to results they have really got to improve as defeat after defeat is both demoralising and habit forming. As I stated earlier these players are effectively the reserves and in the event of an injury crisis, couple of suspensions or similar events will have to step up to the plate.

I am afraid the majority of them do not, at present, possess the desire and positional discipline to play for the 1st team.

There is a feeling some of the younger lads think they have already made the grade and as such aren't maybe working as hard as they could do to improve their skills and game knowledge.

• Like 1

Wee bit of an improvement in this game, despite losing.

1st half played off the park by a lively Hibs team and looked like taking a caning.

2nd half a wee bit of dig and desire shown and despite a few shaky moments a much more offensive performance.

Higgins scored a delightful goal and a draw looked on, but 'Well just couldn't get the equaliser.

I have criticised JJ for using the excuse of younger players having to be used; I will allow him this one tonight as it was a really youthful side, with only Moore from the 1st team squad involved. Hibs had the likes of McPake, Maybury and Caldwell in their XI.

Can anyone advise where the 20s will be playing their home games? Apparently they have been turning out at Bathgate juniors park, tell me this isn't long term.

I might be wrong with this, but my understanding is they will be playing at Creamery Park due to 'Well agreeing to let the Scottish ladies team use FP for international qualifying games.

What is to be gained from having these international games at Firpark?

Shortsighted I would say, the short term gain of cash, assuming I'm correct, is to the detriment of progressing the young players. Give the boys the best conditions to progress and take the benefit when one or two are moved on.

Edited by amberbam

I know what your saying, but it is still short sighted imo. Far more cash is to be gained on resale value. Progressing players through the system will or should hopefully improve the team and get more people through the gates paying that cash.

Playing on a third rate surface is the wrong way to go, just my opinion tho.

I know what your saying, but it is still short sighted imo. Far more cash is to be gained on resale value. Progressing players through the system will or should hopefully improve the team and get more people through the gates paying that cash.

That's the ideal situation but the harsh reality is that our club is always gonna require cash NOW

What is to be gained from having these international games at Firpark?

Shortsighted I would say, the short term gain of cash, assuming I'm correct, is to the detriment of progressing the young players. Give the boys the best conditions to progress and take the benefit when one or two are moved on.

I've played on Fir Park 8 times now, I'm not any better for it. The boys could do with a dose of 'real' world football, shite pitches, shite facilities to see where they might end up if they don't make the grade, because when you start slipping down through football it's a pretty quick path to Junior fitba if you've been a non-trier.

• Like 1

How do you know its a third rate surface? Have you forgotten where we recruited our current groundsman from?

Iv no idea where the current groundsman came from, However the surface is no where good enough and is a step down from what should be provided. If you want quality football then provide better tools, and the guys with the desire will succeed. There are drainage ditches every

ten yards at the creamery, watch the injury list grow. I am certainly not criticising Bathgate, but our younger players should be getting better treatment.

How do you know its a third rate surface? Have you forgotten where we recruited our current groundsman from?

Iv no idea where the current groundsman came from, However the surface is no where good enough and is a step down from what should be provided. If you want quality football then provide better tools, and the guys with the desire will succeed. There are drainage ditches every

ten yards at the creamery, watch the injury list grow. I am certainly not criticising Bathgate, but our younger players should be getting better treatment.

He came from Bathgate hence why I asked. We played our U20 games at Bathgate a few years and I'm sure if we had any problems injury wise then we wouldn't be going back. I'm also sure the last time our U20's played at the Creamery that some of our groundstaff helped out on a part time basis.