Fans Buying Players?

rab_mackinnon

68 members have voted

1. 1. Would u set up a dd for a few quid a month to fund a players wages?

• Yes
    • No

I was reading an article the other day about a team in england that is owned but the fans.

They just signed a new striker that the fans have agreed to pay the guys wages?

Just a though but as a fan base who would be willing to donate a few quid a month to see Motherwell sign a few players or even faddy

Now I know the faddy deal is a non starter and always has been but if we as a fan base collectively chipped in outwith the season ticket and the merchandise would it make a difference?

I was reading an article the other day about a team in england that is owned but the fans.

They just signed a new striker that the fans have agreed to pay the guys wages?

Just a though but as a fan base who would be willing to donate a few quid a month to see Motherwell sign a few players or even faddy

Now I know the faddy deal is a non starter and always has been but if we as a fan base collectively chipped in outwith the season ticket and the merchandise would it make a difference?

No.

The sooner McFadden signs for Celtic the better for some Motherwell fans IMO. I never thought I'd say those words given that I'd absolutely hate to see Faddy join 'them' but that's the one thing that would make some of our fans wake up and smell the coffee so maybe it's best we get it over with and we can all move on.

• Like 1

Does every fan who has a season ticket, pays at the gate or puts any of their own money into the club doing just that.....

As for the actual poll. Nah!

Doing all those things isn't directly giving your wages to another person though, which is what is being discussed.

Season ticket money, gate money etc. covers all expenses of a club throughout the season in the same way that buying your shopping at Asda pays for more store expenses than just the wage of the wee girl on the till.

Think this would only work if we were a 2nd/3rd division team.

The fans of Edinburgh Capitals (ice hockey) sometimes get a collection going to fly over/get first months rent on flat for foreign players. Seems to be a lot of success doing that but no way to the above question at a club the size of ours

Definately count me in on a bit of that action!! Out of my hard earned wage doing a job i fuckin hate for an employer who are c*nts for which i support my Children, Mortgage, Bills,petrol costs, Childcare, season ticket, kids strips and a wife who spends money like a drunken sailor(with the looks to match) i'd love to financially support a journeyman player who doesnt particularly give 100% every week and doesnt really want to play for Motherwell and is just killing time til he signs for a League One team!!

Sounds a great idea +1 for me!!

• Like 2

Something to consider when gate prices drop to a reasonable level across the whole of Scottish fitba (it's got to be all clubs or none). Despite not earning a great wage just now I've fired over 700 quid into the club in the last few months (which I don't grudge one penny of). I imagine many folk who've joined the well society and bought season tickets will have put in about the same, or more if they have families. I think that's the absolute limit for most folk.

• Like 1

Definately count me in on a bit of that action!! Out of my hard earned wage doing a job i fuckin hate for an employer who are c*nts for which i support my Children, Mortgage, Bills,petrol costs, Childcare, season ticket, kids strips and a wife who spends money like a drunken sailor(with the looks to match) i'd love to financially support a journeyman player who doesnt particularly give 100% every week and doesnt really want to play for Motherwell and is just killing time til he signs for a League One team!!

Sounds a great idea +1 for me!!

Brilliant! :lol:

As for the idea, what about when we're paying Faddy's wages and he has a shiter of a performance and half the people paying his wages decide he ain't worth it and cancel the direct debit? Just wouldn't work.

Absoloute non-starter.

What if the player broke his leg on his debut?

You'd feel a bit daft forking out for a guy who was injured for months on end.

The only way this could happen would be if a major beneficator fancied a particular player for a short period of time and stumped up. E.g. Robbie Keane when he went to Celtic.

Ordinary football supporters have enough to worry about rather than paying a players wages. Ticket, sponsorship and TV money pay for that.

Every club should run within its means.

The only way this could happen would be if a major beneficator fancied a particular player for a short period of time and stumped up. E.g. Robbie Keane when he went to Celtic.

That's pretty much what I was going to say.

The money would need to be upfront too, otherwise what if the benefactor(s) got bored.

Do you not think fundraising efforts are better invested in playing facilities and academy?

There's almost a Roy of the Rovers style notion about the OP's suggestion. Player paid for by the supporters scores the winning goal in the Cup final and we all live happily ever after.....

In reality though I don't see it being a realistic proposition. There have been several scenarios put forward already but the one that instantly comes to my mind is the unfortunate player "paid" by the supporters who happens to be spotted out socially on a Saturday evening after a particularly gut-wrenching loss in the afternoon. You can see the venom packed thread about said player pissing up the fans hard earned against a wall already....

An investment in the club is much more easy to justify when it comes to situations like keeping the club's head above water or as fergi4 has pointed out the feeling that in some small way you are contributing towards an infrastucture that could help deliver a McFadden or O'Donnell who could bring success on the park and a boost to the coffers when they move on.