St Mirren Game

FrazMFC96

I am in agreement with a lot of folk. Personally I thought a draw was a fair score but was absolutely gutted losing the 2 points the way we did.

I would make some points though. I thought we were the better team by far in the first half, but we must find a way of getting that second goal. Its the old cliche but one goal is never enough, as we found out today. St. Mirren were a bit too keen to get a right hard tackle in and the ref done nothing to control the game, particularly pushes etc on Higdon. In saying that we weren't slow in getting a tackle in ourselves. Talking of Higdon my observation would be that if we are going to hit balls to him, there needs to be more support closer to him.

As for the scuffle near the end, heres my observations. I sit in the Cooper. I didnt see any contact between the players and I think from the reaction of our players I dont think any other of the guys did either. Hutch was clearly angry. The physio was clearly telling him to shut it on a few occassions, he didn't and earned himself a booking. At the time I was raging but on reflection and in the perfect world he would have kept his mouth closed. He looked like a guy at that point who wanted a piece of Thompson in return. McCall was obviously furious with him, and after the sendings off I cant blame him. Anyway the ref just seemed to fall to pieces from this point on. The bounce up scenario was a farce, and I didn't think the 2nd yellow was warranted but I think Hutchinsons reaction at the first incident never done him any favours.

I for one will be glad in a way when the european adventure ends. Today we tiredin the second half. All things considered though its another point. 4 league games undefeated in amongst european games should have us in relatively positive mood.

On the balance of play, st mirren did deserve a point but the manner in which it happened makes it feel like an absolute robbery. Some encouraging performances from the young lads. Hutchy was immense, thompson in his pocket...what happened there by the way? Was it a punch or elbow or something? I thought it was disgusting when the ref stopped play as soon as we were breaking after allowing st mirren to attack for a minute or so with hutchy on the ground....then them not giving the ball back after.

So well done to the ref for ruining the second half. Completely lost control of the game. Pure and utter incompetence.

It definitely came off Hammel, if players spent less time moaning about referees decisions and concentrated on defending we might win more games. At the end of the day it's rare that a ref or linesman change their mind, it's simpler just to get on with it. The similar thing happened at Levante's second goal, players moaning about offside when they should be playing to the whistle.

It most certainly did not and I was right in line with it, I had at least as good if not a better view than the Linesman, The Ref made the call and did not even allow the baldy wanker to offer his opinion.

Wring out your gussets people, is this how we roll now? Higgy had a good game so we need a new boo boy, I would say that were it not for Hutch today (and many others) we would easily have been 4 or 5 goais down.

Hutch DID NOT cost us 3 points, our inability to hold on to or capitalise on a lead combined with poor decisions form the Match Officials was the difference between a point and 3 points.

Whilst I respect your right to voice your opinion I have to say what a lot of pish!

facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

The claims that we should now get rid of Hutchinson for £300,000 because of the last four days are beyond ridiculous and don't even merit a proper reply.

• Like 2

There goal was coming in the second half. We sat far to deep and where slow to get out. Great save from randolph made a great save just before there goal but we where slow to react to the ball. Ref was shocking. When they going to get that pipe in the east stand sorted??

Lucky to get a point today, fucking torture to watch at times we seem unable to be able to pass the ball to players in our own team without fucking it up and giving it away. Poor decision making time after time especially up front.

Hetherington had an absolute mare but he is young and will hopefully come good but a combination of him and Carswell in midfield gives me nightmares they don't seem ready at all.

Defensively we are actually quite good, Kerr was excellent as were Cummins and Hutchinson. Cummins has been immense in each of the games that I've seen him in.

Ref seemed to be one of the angriest people on the pitch near the end, Hutch didn't help himself but Reilly knew exactly what he was doing when Hutch came in to tackle him poor stuff but I guess that is unfortunately how football is these days. Even gave us all a wink in the POD when he was waiting to come back on.

As others have said will now be glad when the European dames are out of the way.

Some people on here are saying it was a decent performance? Must be watching different games! Ok, individual players may not have had howlers, but the formation and set up allowed St Mirren to boss the game for 75minutes! St Mirren for fucks sake!!

We had no real width, no bite& to be fair, we couldnt get a foothold on the game. After 25minutes it was obvious having no right& left midfielders meant St Mirren could destroy us down the wings& create real havock, pretty much unchallenged. St Mirren are shite, a better team would have properly taken us apart today.

I was impressed with Kerr, and Hutchy was solid as ever until the ref lost it. I actually thought the first yellow was for telling Thomson he was going to leather him. Cummins seemed steady, if Hetherington has another couple of performances like that he'l no doubt be on thee wrong end of the east stand Fitzpatrick treatment.

Time to get back to 4-4-2 in my opinion.

couldn't make the game but losing a goal in the 93rd minute like that is a real kick on the nuts even if your just getting the info from a twitter feed

still unbeaten in the league and if we beat ICT next week things start looking up again. We'll start improving imo once the european football is out the way.

for those at the game how did kerr and hethrington play?

As others have said will now be glad when the European dames are out of the way.

I thought that was the best part about European games :whistling:

As to the game, on the balance of play St. Mirren probably deserved something from the game, but until the Ref lost the plot in the last 10 minutes I was pretty confident of holding on. The whole Hutch - Thompson - drop ball carry on was a display of such incompetence that I thought Ian Brines was in charge :wallbash:

couldn't make the game but losing a goal in the 93rd minute like that is a real kick on the nuts even if your just getting the info from a twitter feed

still unbeaten in the league and if we beat ICT next week things start looking up again. We'll start improving imo once the european football is out the way.

for those at the game how did kerr and hethrington play?

Kerr had a good game, Hetherington had a good few slack passes. He did however hit imrie with a crunching tackle in the first minute which is a good way to endear yourself to the fans

Not much to add to what has already been said. A 1-0 victory today would have been a great result regardless of circumstances.

The manner in which St. Mirren got back into the game was annoying, although they did definitely deserve something from the game. From the ref deciding not to stop play until Francis-Angol was clear, to St. Mirren not giving us the ball back to the wrongly awarded throw in. The ref actually had a cheek to book Hutchinson for not going off quickly considering it took him a fair while to decided to stop play to let him get treatment. What a nob Euan Norris is.

Considering our wafer thin squad and European excursions in between games, the fact that we are still unbeaten should mean that even the biggest doom and gloom merchants shouldn't be pressing the panic buttons just yet.

Would consider the Inverness game next week to be more crucial to our season than the Levante game, so would definitely approve of McCall resting anyone carrying knocks or needing a rest.

• Like 1

I thought that was the best part about European games :whistling:

As to the game, on the balance of play St. Mirren probably deserved something from the game, but until the Ref lost the plot in the last 10 minutes I was pretty confident of holding on. The whole Hutch - Thompson - drop ball carry on was a display of such incompetence that I thought Ian Brines was in charge :wallbash:

Brines was the 4th offical :wank: that he is :doh:

Sorry, but Hutchinson cannot be defended, just saw the highlights on the TV.

Fair enough, the first booking was harsh but having been booked minutes previously he should have known better, think frustration got the better of him. Let his team down and has been a bit ropey at the start of this season, giving away needless fouls in Europe most notably.

Sure he wont need told that he let the his teammates down and hopefully he can learn from it.

We have a very thin squad so its never going to be plain sailing like last season but one or two players needing to get the finger out.

• Like 1

We were really poor today. The 4-3-1-2 is maybe not a bad formation for us but we need to defend in the midfield a lot better than we did today. There was nobody out on the wing so often and we let St Mirren play far too many balls into our box. Regardless of Hutchinson getting sent off it was only a matter of time before Thompson or Parkin won one and made us pay. I think, whilst our players have done very well for us, they need the rigidity of a 4-4-2. But what I found mindboggling was that McCall never recognised this - he should have had Humphrey on and changed the formation in the first ten minutes because even then it was obvious what was panning out.

The game spilled over due to the drop ball incident as that seemed to really fire our boys up and it was obvious Hutchinson was going to get sent off after picking up the yellow as you could see the red mist had descended. I think the first yellow was to be deserved though the second one was harsh but there was no need to be sliding in like that. Thought the referee, having been excellent for 80 minutes, really lost the plot in the last ten. It seemed also like after the drop ball incident he seemed rattled and in that period of the game gave St Mirren everything.

For all I thought our defending out of possession was poor we really did defend well in the penalty box and the back four have to take some commendation.

• Like 1

Left the game angry at the refs decisions about Hutchie's red card and the throw in that led to the equaliser. However I have just seen the highlights and I am sorry to say I think the ref got both decisions right.

Hutchie needs to learn to keep his mouth shut. If someone whacks you get up and walk away. Don't draw attention to yourself and get your revenge against the guy the next time the ball is there. If you have been booked don't dive in like he did.

Having said that if he had still been on the park he would have won the header with Thomson that led to their goal.

The players looked tired after the game in midweek. We don't have the squad to cope with so many games. Thankfully Europe will be over by Thursday. Maybe we have been unlucky that we have been given two winnable games after Europe. Maybe Celtic and Hearts away would have been better games.

Cummins looked a real find and Kerr impressed at right back.

We are really missing Jennings as Lasley and Law do not have the insurance of him behind them.

Lets hope we do not lose anyone before the window closes and hopefully we can get a couple in. My big fear is that Randolph will be off. In my opinion he is worth 10 -15 points a season.

Left the game angry at the refs decisions about Hutchie's red card and the throw in that led to the equaliser. However I have just seen the highlights and I am sorry to say I think the ref got both decisions right.

Hutchie needs to learn to keep his mouth shut. If someone whacks you get up and walk away. Don't draw attention to yourself and get your revenge against the guy the next time the ball is there. If you have been booked don't dive in like he did.

Missed the game but:

Looks from highlight that the decisions were not miles off

Think thats the first time I've seen Hutchinson react like that

think your being harsh with your statement if it is a one off

whatever that c**t Thomson said, it fair riled him

and whatever Hutch responded with walking off the park looked to be the reason for the first yellow, and whatever was said seemed to stick with the Ref as he couldnt wait to give the second yellow, albeit, not hard to see how easy it was for him to show it.

MFCtv highlights show St Mirren more than 50% of the time so if that indicative seems 1-1 as a few have said was always coming

Edit: and unless the MFCtv editor done it specifically, our ongoing problem of giving the ball away seems to give the opposition more chances than the create on their own

As much as I think his second booking was a foul, I don't think it would have been a booking if he didn't already have one.

ihudishh.png

Sorry but that's a yellow everyday of the week. Straight leg, studs up, doesn't get near the ball and catches the boy right on the back of the achilles. The most annoying thing about it all is that it's a challenge he didn't have to make. The boy has his back to goal and is 22 yards out at the angle, baring a Thierry Henry-eque flick up and volley he's not posing any real threat. Unless Hutchinson is 100% certain he was going to get the ball(and especially in that weather I'm not sure how he could be) he can't afford to go to ground and dive in. Just stand your ground and force him away from goal.

I know he has a huge fanbase on here but it was two stupid yellows and he can have no complaints and has no one to blame but himself. Hopefully he learns from this and he can move on.

• Like 1

....Thought the referee, having been excellent for 80 minutes, really lost the plot in the last ten.....

sorry mate but the ref was shit all game, from memory,

In the 1st half he gave us a foul for a deliberate hand ball which stopped us attacking and then failed to book the st mirren player.

He gave them a foul when one of their players knocked the ball past our defender and the ran into him but then gave them a foul when Humphrey did the same five minutes later!

He allowed the game to continue when Hutch was on the ground and only blew when we got posession and were breaking up the park.

the guy was piss poor from the start and got worse as the game wore on!