St Mirren Game

FrazMFC96

The referee today was shockingly inconsistent and booking Hutchinson for not leaving the field quickly enough was ludicrous. Our European campaign and a thin squad are taking their toll but mistakes on and especially off the field are costing us big time. Yesterday Stuart McCall got it wrong big time.

After a promising start, we put little into the game and St Mirren controlled large periods of the game. We just about deserved a draw. We played well in flashes particularly in the first half but for long spells simply weren't in the game.

A reshuffle of personnel wasrequired but not what we got. The midfield set up was all wrong and should have been changed well before half time. I'm all for giving youth a chance but Steve Hetherington had a mare really should have been replaced after 30 minutes. For most of the match we were totally exposed down both wings with Nicky Law not really knowing where he was meant to be playing. Jamie Murphy again flattered to deceive and his roving role from a deep position caused our lads more trouble than it caused St Mirren. Keith Lasley is struggling badly just now and may be missing Jennings' presence to protect him. At 32 are his best years behind him? Steve Hammell had another nightmare and was all over the place, but in his defence he was given little assistance on the left wing.

We were slow to make changes and when they did arrive they were a bit baffling, Chris Humphrey apart. Stuart McCall got it badly wrong when he signalled his intention to sit back by taking off offensive players and bringing on more defensive minded ones. Over the years we've learnt that we cannot sit back and defend. We simply don't have the players. The midfield sat far too deep and we allowed Saints to rain in cross after cross into the box. McCall and Black did us proud last season but this campaign they are being caught out big time. Finally a word about those shocking free kicks we're taking just now - short and quick they inevitably result in pass backs into defence or losing the ball alltogether.

I though Kerr had a good game and Cummins wasn't far behind him but that was about it. Possibly our central defensive partnership in the coming months?

The events of the next few days will go a long way to determining our season - who if anyone we sign.

• Like 2

The two knock pasts were different. Our player deliberatey moved onto the players path to block him whereas Humphrey didn't look up and run straight into their player. Humphrey did get a free kick later when the player blocked him. CORRECT DECISION

Have checked the footage on MFCtv and neither incidents are shown but from memory, the motherwell player was standing still when the ball was hit - if he moved intentionally to block the st mirren player he must have anticipated the knock on and moved before it happened. If Humph was looking at his feet at the time then does the st mirren player moving directly into his path no constitue obstruction?

As for the sending off and their equaliser I don't have any complaints but I was just pointing out that - in my view - the ref had been pish throughout the game and not just the last 10 min. The amout of times he played advantage to st mirren and then blew for a foul about once they lost the ball - at time well after the incident - but either stopped things straight away when it was us fouled or didn't award a foul when we lost the ball, was crazy.

One other thing regarding refs in general, big Higdon makes it so easy for refs to ignore fouls on him by constantly going down whenever he is touched that when he is genuinly fouled they just put it down to him being at it - time for the big man to stop trying for fouls and concentrate more on winning balls.

Please explain.

Possibly due to being unbeaten in four SPL games. Hard to say McCall and Black have been 'caught out' when we are currently unbeaten and fifth in the table. If we are tenth come Xmas maybe so.....but too early for that judgement.

One other thing, when Hutch went off, Higgy appeared to go to CB for a minute or so. A good move I thought, then, low and behold he was sent back upfront.

Whilst I wasn't happy about playing 75 mins just trying to hold on against the Midden, we should def have been getting everyone back to defend when we were down to 10 men with 4 minutes to go.

Possibly due to being unbeaten in four SPL games. Hard to say McCall and Black have been 'caught out' when we are currently unbeaten and fifth in the table. If we are tenth come Xmas maybe so.....but too early for that judgement.

The midden were all over us yesterday. Our team couldnt make those tactics work. Had we been playing a better opposition we would have shipped a good number of goals.

i can't really complain about the result and performance due to the number of games we're playing and the age of the squad.

what i'm raging about is watching our players shake hands with goodwin and thompson at the end of the game. they are a pair of cheating pricks and we bend over for them every time. if higdon had done goodwin at the drop ball i'd never have had a bad word to say about him again......

• Like 1

The midden were all over us yesterday. Our team couldnt make those tactics work. Had we been playing a better opposition we would have shipped a good number of goals.

They were but the rest of your statement is 'what if's'. Lets see where we are when we have played everyone before we think our management team have been caught out. Far too early in the season to judge imo.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Hutchy is a silly boy. Thursday night he saved us from losing another goal. "taking one for the team" that's how I'm looking at t anyway whistling.gif Yesterday was just sheer stupidity. The first was just his temper boiling over a bit but the second was a rushed tackle on a playr running away from goal. I think he'll have got himself in a bit of trouble with the club given our squad size and experience but claims that he should be sold to the next bidder are absurd laugh.giffacepalm.gif

Has anyone on here ever seen (or even heard the legend)that Humphrey can header or get stuck in for a tackle?

Never seen it myself but there's a vicious rumour going about that he does it in training all the time. :download:

I'm pretty sure Dazzer's seen Humphrey's hard tackle. :ph34r:

:lol:

By the way, did anyone notice all the young french (I think) lads at fir park yesterday wearing "EDU Sporting Academy" trackies - what was that all about?!? They were in the main stand.

What bit don't you agree with?

Couple of bits actually:

The fact that you needed to even mention the possibility of getting dragged into a dogfight at the bottom end of the table..

+

The fact that some stars "have not kicked their own arse all season"

Barring a miracle we will be out of the Europa this Friday. That will allow us to get back to concentrating on the league. Our squad is small enough for the SPL, let alone competing in Europe. Fun (kind of) while it lasts.

We have played 4 games, 3 of them after tough midweek Euro games. We are unbeaten.

In fact how about some on this board recognising that we have toughed it out in 2 games, games we would have probably lost in previous seasons - St J at home and St Mirren yesterday.

Once the dust settles we will be competing for the top half, of that I am sure.

The second point - ALL SEASON - we are 4 games into the season. Sure some have played below the standard they showed last season, but come on.....

I had £25 on a draw, but would rather have lost the money. We were lucky yesterday to get a point, but St Mirren have a habit of playing well against us and rank against just about everyone else! They had plaudits for their great football last season and still finished in the bottom half.

My concerns was the amount of crosses we let into our box unchallenged and eventually proved our undoing! We were well exposed on the left time and again until ZFA came on. Disappointed McCall did not address that as it was a huge surprise it took until the 93rd minute to punish us.

I suspect next Sunday will be like both the St M + St J game. Players tiring in the second half. We could do with a win, but another draw may well be on the cards. The international break should allow us to regroup, hopefully add a couple to the squad and kick on..

The red card was correct unfortunately IMO but I hate it when referees book a player as quick as they can then when anyone tries to reason he arrogantly waves his hand away. What's the point in that

What's the point in trying to reason with the ref? When you are 5 years old you learn not to argue with them. They never change their mind and players shouldn't be getting involved.

An awful lot of negativity around just now but I think it's fair to say that 6 points from the opening four games and still undefeated is a plus point. We haven't played particularly well, in fact we've been pretty awful in our two home games but we still managed to get something from them and considering both were on the back of European ties and have a threadbare squad, that's not a bad return.

Once Thursday's out the way we can start fully focussing on our most important priority, how we fare in the SPL and that can't come quick enough for me.

Please explain.

We've only played 4 league games, 3 of which have came off the back of European matches, something squads far bigger than ours struggle with.

We're unbeaten in those 4 matches and were within 1 minute of topping the table, despite senior players carrying injuries and a number of youngsters making their debuts.

So to say McCall and Black have been found out seems a bit over the top.