Motherwell One Liners

well-army

86 I think. Was working a student job beside a Celtic supporter.

2 - 0 down without playing badly. Great comeback. Walker's goal set up by a cracking reverse pass from Martin (if my memory isn't playing tricks). Gahagan missed a great chance in extra time with a weak shot straight at the keeper. Softy hit the underside of the square bar with his pen. Round bar and it would probably have gone in.

EDIT: No idea why I wrote Martin! I was thinking Smith - but could be wrong.

EDIT EDIT: If you can bear it, a report is on here

Have to admit, I was close to tears leaving Hampden that night. Football verges on child cruelty at times!

Walker's shimmy was outrageous. Bonner just threw himself out the way to leave an open goal.

Edit: something very strange happened there with my attempt to quote!

Memory might be playing tricks on me but think the pass to Walker was from another midfield maestro, Brian Wright.

That's the name I was struggling for. I knew it was a 'Brian'! It's terrible when you get old and start forgetting - another Senior Moment.

I remember the pass as clear as day, though, and the dummy. They used to say about Charlie Cooke "When Charlie sold you a dummy you had to pay to get back into the stadium" - and Walker's dummy was as good as that. Pity he turned into such an eejit on the telly because he was a great young player for us.

Memory might be playing tricks on me but think the pass to Walker was from another midfield maestro, Brian Wright.

I do remember Walker and Smudger giving Celtic a torrid time at FP around the same time. Finished 1-1 but took an amazing fingertip save from Bonnar to stop us winning it.

Main memory of Brian Wright was scoring a pen V Celtic at Hampden (same game that Softy hit the bar) and giving it ' the Higdon' to the smellic fans.

Celtic semi-final in '91

Maxwell saved a skiter of a shot & Jock Brown came out with "that must have been like saving a bar of soap" & Andy Gray (I think) came out with some gash like "that was even more difficult than catching a bar of soap, cos it's round & bobbling all the way"

he was a slevering c*nt even back in they days............

Celtic semi-final in '91

Maxwell saved a skiter of a shot & Jock Brown came out with "that must have been like saving a bar of soap" & Andy Gray (I think) came out with some gash like "that was even more difficult than catching a bar of soap, cos it's round & bobbling all the way"

he was a slevering c*nt even back in they days............

Talking of Andy Gray I'm sure he refers to Rowan Alexander as Rowan Atkinson at least once during the commentary of our Scottish Cup Quarter Final with Morton that Sky or BSB or whatever they were at the time.

Must admit, I liked Andy Gray's commentary back then. And McCoist's co-commentary on the cup final was good too - he was that excited it was like one of us commentating ( almost!) .......in fact, didn't he coin the phrase '' as brave as a lion'' when Phil headed his goal?