Your Favourite 'well Cult Hero

mfcdez

Tommy Coyne is my all time 'Well cult hero. Such a classy and shrewd player who made the team tick and scored plenty of goals into the bargain. He's never been replaced.

His partnership with Owen Coyle was the best I've ever seen in Claret & Amber :notworthy:

Deary me, Owen Coyle is lauded more for performances in that jumped up five-a-side shown on Sky than for anything he achieved in a first team shirt...

What about Brian Mclair (First time around) my dad still tells me the story of when he scored a hat trick against Rangers circa 1984 ( I Think)

My favourites were Cooper , O'Neil and Luc Nijholt

What a team we had back then

Edit just looked up wikipedia He left well in 83

Double Edit : Motherwellnet has it as 3rd Jan 1983

Think Big Psycho left for Dundee at the same time as Albert Kidd, a popular player at FP even before he snatched the league title away from the Jambos.

Another cult figure we lost in a double transfer was Ally Mauchlen, left for Leicester at the same time as Gary McAllister

If your referring to Graeme Forbes - did he not go to Walsall, around the same time as Andy Dornan?

What about Brian Mclair (First time around) my dad still tells me the story of when he scored a hat trick against Rangers circa 1984 ( I Think)

My favourites were Cooper , O'Neil and Luc Nijholt

What a team we had back then

Edit just looked up wikipedia He left well in 83

Double Edit : Motherwellnet has it as 3rd Jan 1983

Scored a double against the Tims & a hat-trick against the Team that is No-More, (although there is some suggestion that the 3rd was a McKinnon og), in the space of a week, then the Beggarz stole him.

• Like 1

Coops after he scored a pen against st Johnstone to make it 3-0. Their fans started singing the old "Davy Cooper you're a wanker etc and he turned round, faced them, heldup his left hand showing 3 fingers, his right shaped as a zero, scratched his head as if thinking and then mouthed to them---- ahh three nil... LEGEND

I remember Coops giving some old St Mirren (I think) fan a quiet verbal doing whilst taking a corner down at the Tech end. The guy nearly took a bad turn. Would love to know what was said.

For some reason, big Don Goodman was a favourite of mine. His double against Smelltic in the season we beat them in 3 of the 4 games that season stick in the memory (99 - 00?)

Even know hearing him commentate on Sky is braw. Still has the mad afro and squished nose.

Don Goodman = Hero!

I too liked him as a player, but went right off him after hearing his punditry on Five Live one evening:-

Commentator "...result coming in from Fir Park, Motherwell 4 Dundee Utd 1(or similar) - great night for one of your former clubs, Don?"

Don "Well John, I've had many former clubs"

That was it!

If your referring to Graeme Forbes - did he not go to Walsall, around the same time as Andy Dornan?

Yeah, I was sure Dornan and Forbes went as a double deal to Wallsall. I remember thinking they could have gone somewhere better than Walsall but maybe they were paying good wages at the time.

I witnessed every single minute of "The Flask"'s Motherwell career.

His Wiki until recently said he scored 12 goals in 18 appearances for us. :lol: I'm not even certain he played 18 minutes!

Must have the same agent as Casagolda.

Was the game at Kilmarnock his only appearance? He was very unlucky to get sent off - some horrendous play acting. I thought he had some nice touches but he did look a bit out of his depth.