Your Favourite 'well Cult Hero

mfcdez

One of my old favourites was ian Clinging. never see his name mentioned much on here at all for some reason. Hardly a pick on him but he could beat players and score goals and a local lad from wishaw ( i think ) did he ever play for anyone other than us?

Had a long, and as I recall, successful, 5 or 6 year stint at Morton after us.

Was the game at Kilmarnock his only appearance? He was very unlucky to get sent off - some horrendous play acting. I thought he had some nice touches but he did look a bit out of his depth.

Nah, he had a couple of substitute appearances before then. Then he got sent off against Killie and disappeared.

What about David Ferrere. Came on at half time against hibs, scored a hat trick and no one's seen him since.

Wee alphie mentioned kirky lawson earlier just to say that I'm having a beer with him in larkhall as I type and when I showed him the post he was over the moon. He stays near to and is still best mates with the legend that knew my father although he's a bit upset that he got mentioned in the same sentence as Dixie deans!! Kirkies wife was in the same class as Dixie at school and said he was a cheeky bar steward even then

Wee alphie mentioned kirky lawson earlier just to say that I'm having a beer with him in larkhall as I type and when I showed him the post he was over the moon. He stays near to and is still best mates with the legend that knew my father although he's a bit upset that he got mentioned in the same sentence as Dixie deans!! Kirkies wife was in the same class as Dixie at school and said he was a cheeky bar steward even then

Tell him there is an old man on the other side of the pond that he was a hero to as well - I was 7 at the time, though :cheers:

Weeyin. He said thanks a lot. He was really happy to have been mentioned amongst all those other legends that have been posted. He told me that he is no 10 to goalscorer in stats percentage wise goals per games played for the well all time! Can anyone verify please? You're just a wee bit younger than me but davie and derek whiteford were p.e. teachers at my school. The nethertonwellfan, which was where I was born too, might guess the school? Cheers I've just bought mr lawson a lager

I remember Essandoh playing in a friendly against either a premier league or what would now be a championship team and skinning a few boys looking brilliant before proceeding to fall over his own feet or the ball rather than getting away a shot on goal.

That's exactly what popped into my head when I read his name. :laugh:

FWIW I think it was in Colin O'Neill's testimonial v Ipswich.

Weeyin. He said thanks a lot. He was really happy to have been mentioned amongst all those other legends that have been posted. He told me that he is no 10 to goalscorer in stats percentage wise goals per games played for the well all time! Can anyone verify please? You're just a wee bit younger than me but davie and derek whiteford were p.e. teachers at my school. The nethertonwellfan, which was where I was born too, might guess the school? Cheers I've just bought mr lawson a lager

Small world this, the Whiteford's taught at my school in Wishaw too. I mentioned Kirky Lawson cause I saw him win the junior cup with Blantyre Vics before joining the mighty Well. I'm 50 now so he must be a fair age. Wish him all the best from me TC, not meaning to be cheeky about how old he is.

There's something lovely about this thread, being a fan of a "small team" such as ourselves. All of our cult heroes seem accessible, as you can see from the almost real time interchange from fan to legend, above. We may have the odd player who does well, like Faddy, but realistically, our legends are within chatting distance, house to pub, and I doubt many clubs could say that.

It's just somewhat nice to realise that these people are... human, despite being to us as Terry is to a Chelsea fan, or Messi to a Barcelona fan, on an unachievable meeting level.

One of my old favourites was ian Clinging. never see his name mentioned much on here at all for some reason. Hardly a pick on him but he could beat players and score goals and a local lad from wishaw ( i think ) did he ever play for anyone other than us?

Ian Clinging...great player for us always played that wee bit extra against the then old firm.

Ask Kirkie if he played at Hampden for the Vics in a Scottish Junior Cup final before joining the 'well. Vague recollections of watching him from the schoolboy enclosure (front of South Stand).

lucky enough to play against both Ian Clinging & Joe Wark when they played for Wishaw High School FP's over 35's a few years back. Joe would have been late 40's/early 50's & I think Clinging was a few years younger but still some player. Thoroughly enjoyed playing against him in centre mid. My wee mate who's a big Well fan too fouled him at one point & as he went to take the free kick quickly my mate stood in front of him & started giving him verbals along the lines of "whit dae you know aboot fitba". Clinging was chuckling to himself as I pulled my mate aside & explained he was a former Motherwell legend & to wind his neck in.

Cue the rid neck & a quick few steps back to let him take the foul.

• Like 1

lucky enough to play against both Ian Clinging & Joe Wark when they played for Wishaw High School FP's over 35's a few years back. Joe would have been late 40's/early 50's & I think Clinging was a few years younger but still some player. Thoroughly enjoyed playing against him in centre mid. My wee mate who's a big Well fan too fouled him at one point & as he went to take the free kick quickly my mate stood in front of him & started giving him verbals along the lines of "whit dae you know aboot fitba". Clinging was chuckling to himself as I pulled my mate aside & explained he was a former Motherwell legend & to wind his neck in.

Cue the rid neck & a quick few steps back to let him take the foul.

Would have loved to have seen that :laugh:

Would have loved to have seen that :laugh:

I had the pleasure of working with Ian Clinging and when he played in our weekly works 5 a sides he was still great.

He was in our 11 a side team when we won the "Scottish cup" for the company recreational society.

Great player and a nice guy as well.

1347628765[/url]' post='360451']

Miodrag Krivokapic, total class player, I was at Easter Road when he scored his goal too. Absolute gentleman and legend

I also was at Easter Road THAT day, met Mio with my laddie at Schipol Airport! He was with the Celtic U 17s. Stopped for a blether and had a photo with my son. Totally agree....... An absolute gentleman.

• 2 months later...

Good group of players there claretbandonambershirt....we must be in the same age bracket eh?:evilgrin:

Probably are Oz Steelman. A few others then...Jackie McInally (hoy hoy hoy), Tricky Vicky Davidson, Willie Watson, Billy Campbell and Tom Forsyth.

How's about Keith McRae? A brilliant but underrated keeper whomight have been capped but for his weak wrist? He's the reason I started to fOllow man city innthe 70's when he left us.

Good post. Not sure he managed to get many games at Man City as I was watching that too?