Your Favourite 'well Cult Hero

mfcdez

This might not be a popular choice but Tom Boyd was always a hero of mine when i was young.

Game against Dundee Utd at fir park, Malpas against Boyd, the ball was going out for a corner and Boyd back heel'd it of Malaps' legs and out for a goal kick. was the coolest move i'd seen in football, until cooper signed ! Fuck knows what Malpas was doing at our by line ! Clueless as ever !

I'm sure I got my ticket from my School back then, we should start doing that again whistling.gif

• Like 1

Brian Martin :thumbup:

Solid Defender

But then again 93 through to 95/96 we where spoiled for choice

big buff doing a Laudrup style shimmy, cutting inside and lashing one home from about 30 yards into the top corner!!!!!

big man was a favourite of mine also - was lucky enough to play against him on the astro behind Fir Park one day - he still had it!!!!!

For some reason, big Don Goodman was a favourite of mine. His double against Smelltic in the season we beat them in 3 of the 4 games that season stick in the memory (99 - 00?)

Even know hearing him commentate on Sky is braw. Still has the mad afro and squished nose.

Don Goodman = Hero!

Special , I realise that most people may have many such favourite players , was meaning more a particular goal or moment by one of them that sticks out ,..................................................Still maybe doesn't help narrow it down for some people with as many years following the team as yourself mind !

:laugh: appreciate what you are saying mate, just feel I could have filled 3 pages + and still perhaps left out something deserving of a mention.

If you twist this auld yin's arm ............... I'll go for Bobby Watson's left footed howitzer against the mighty Spurs in the Texaco Cup at FP in 71.

:laugh: appreciate what you are saying mate, just feel I could have filled 3 pages + and still perhaps left out something deserving of a mention.

If you twist this auld yin's arm ............... I'll go for Bobby Watson's left footed howitzer against the mighty Spurs in the Texaco Cup at FP in 71.

Crowd was 22,688 that evening !! I have a stack of newspaper reports I'll need to scan them and post them up.

• Like 1

Crowd was 22,688 that evening !! I have a stack of newspaper reports I'll need to scan them and post them up.

Please do mate - coming from Harthill we normally parked in Orbiston Street, that night we were parked in Jerviston - and just made KO. The queues snaked from both sides of the Taggarts end out onto Windmillhill Street - what a night, perhaps only bettered for atmosphere by the Hearts semi in the same competition.

Cult hero's from that era has to be both 'Jumbo' Muir and big John Goldthorpe (made Higgy look like Messi laugh1.gif)

Loved Simo . Reading thru some of these posts has brought back some fantastic 'Well memories .

Also got me looking through lists of players from the years I have been coming to F.P. , and came across Sasa Curcic , forgot all about him . Could hardly be described as any sort of hero after his brief and ultimately shite spell , but surely one of the biggest screwballs ever to wear the C&A .

No idea how to post a link , but his wiki profile is some read !

Please do!

These posts have brought back some fantastic 'Well memories from Fir Park.....

:yahoo: Yes the crowds were big even for league games back then but then again Fir Park was a different shape then...NO 'elf n safety back then.

Special you could write hundreds of pages about the Well cult heroes from any era of our history (ok maybe eyewitness accounts from the fifties onwards) Ian St John. Bobby Watson, Billy Ritchie, Brian Heron, Gregor Stevens, Joe Wark, William Pettigrew, Stuart McClaren...............and the list goes on and on.....

.....and the crowds were good too, Taggarts end was alomost full as was the 'East' the main stand and my wee place of heaven the wee terraces in the front of the main stand, when the home team was on the right hand side looking toward the east.

Always liked Ian Angus and Tom Boyd being a left back as a lad. That goal tha Ian Angus banged in from the edge of the area in the Cup Final is a moment I'll never forget. Even my Grand-dad, who makes MJC seem happy clappy, started to believe we had a chance when that goal went in.I always remember Tom Boyd's debut for Scotland too, came on a sub and danced down the left wing with virtually his first touches in the Dark Blue.

Cult heroes.

Joe Wark - Just because he is a Well hero!

Wullie Pettigrew - Do I need to elaborate?

Wullie McVie - Kicked the ground instead of the ball when taking a free kick. (almost broke his toe) :laugh:

Jackie McInally - The slowest player ever to wear the claret and amber!

Gregor Stevens - Possible the dirtiest player to wear the claret and amber!

Keith McCrae - Sold to Man City for 100k which was an enormous sum and I think a record at the time for a keeper.

John Goldthorpe - The walking clothes hanger!

Owen Coyle had a mention? He was an excellent signing for us. Loved watching him and Coyne against the h**s.

Rab McKinnon was a favourite of mine too. I might be getting mixed up but did him and Cooper play together for a bit? Fantastic left hand side with Sieb rolling the ball out to Rab to start off every move.

I miss the 90's.

• Like 1

Owen Coyle had a mention? He was an excellent signing for us. Loved watching him and Coyne against the h**s.

Rab McKinnon was a favourite of mine too. I might be getting mixed up but did him and Cooper play together for a bit? Fantastic left hand side with Sieb rolling the ball out to Rab to start off every move.

I miss the 90's.

Yep completely forgot to add him to my list of cult hero left-backs! Luc Nijholt was another of my favourites as was John Philiben, never scored a soft goal - always seems to be trying to break his boot and the net at the same time. That goal in the 3-0 v Rangers (2 late Dougie break-aways too) is still a highlight for me.