Old Motherwell Reports And Stuff

texanwellfan

I wonder if any 'Well fans out there remember the 1969 League Cup Quarter Final epic against Morton?

First leg at Cappielow - we lost 3-0 and got Dixie Deans sent-off. Looked as though the second leg the following week would be a formality.

Second leg at FP - we won 3-0 in normal time but couldn't quite win it in extra-time. I remember FP being packed and standing out in the pissing rain with my brother and my dad behind the goals at the Knowetop end (now Davie Cooper Stand) for the entire game. Soaked through to our drawers but throughly enjoying every minute.

Third game at Ibrox - we won 1-0 with a late goal from big Jumbo Muir in a game that was anything but a classic. Couldn't have cared less we were in the semi.

Or the second-leg of Texaco Cup game against Hearts at FP after a 1-1 draw at Tyncastle in the fist leg. We were 0-2 down at half-time and on our way out. Second half totally took charge, ramped in 4 goals, blew them away and ended up winning easily. Another huge crowd at FP that night too.

I wonder if any 'Well fans out there remember the 1969 League Cup Quarter Final epic against Morton?

My Father took me to all 3 games, then we lost to St Johnstone in the semi.

My Hearts Texaco Cup recollection is the semi after the Spurs game talked about above. Jumbo Muir scored in the 1-1 at Swynecastle, then we were 1-0 up in the 2nd leg before Hearts equalised with a very very late goal, and won in extra-time. I seem to remember the Ref's watch had stopped and the Jambo's equaliser would not have happened otherwise.

By the light, of the silvery moon .......................... 4-2, 3-nil :thumbup:

I wonder if any 'Well fans out there remember the 1969 League Cup Quarter Final epic against Morton? First leg at Cappielow - we lost 3-0 and got Dixie Deans sent-off. Looked as though the second leg the following week would be a formality. Second leg at FP - we won 3-0 in normal time but couldn't quite win it in extra-time. I remember FP being packed and standing out in the pissing rain with my brother and my dad behind the goals at the Knowetop end (now Davie Cooper Stand) for the entire game. Soaked through to our drawers but throughly enjoying every minute. Third game at Ibrox - we won 1-0 with a late goal from big Jumbo Muir in a game that was anything but a classic. Couldn't have cared less we were in the semi. Or the second-leg of Texaco Cup game against Hearts at FP after a 1-1 draw at Tyncastle in the fist leg. We were 0-2 down at half-time and on our way out. Second half totally took charge, ramped in 4 goals, blew them away and ended up winning easily. Another huge crowd at FP that night too.
was at all of those games including the Morton replay which i think was at Ibrox. I'm still not sure if Jumbo dived and headed the ball in for a goal or if he fell and ball bounced off his head LOL He was one of the guys where it could easily be either of those . Great games!
EDIT: although Hearts texaco game second leg we were 1 up and got beat 2 -1 AET.

Was going to make a new thread but this looks like just the place for it. Looks like a great programme and I'm sure they will appreciate everything submitted. Plus, you get a free match ticket.

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2012/09/13/remember-well-this-october/

Motherwell Football Club Community Trust, in partnership with Alzheimer Scotland, North Lanarkshire Council and NHS Lanarkshire are working to support dementia sufferers and their families through ‘Remember Well’, a football based programme using the power of the club and its memorabilia.

The project involves training volunteers to spend time with people with dementia who have an interest in football, talking about the teams and matches of the past and working with visual images to stimulate memories.

Make Your Own History

Motherwell FC has over 125 years of proud history and we can all share in that and be part of it. We want to celebrate and capture those memories at the Football Memories Festival. Come along to this free event for football fans of all ages and make some new memories of your own:

Meet former MFC legends.

Bring your camera and have your picture taken with former players and around the stadium such as dressing room, in the dugout, pitch side and with some historic silverware.

Go on free stadium tours.

Watch historic film from big games over the decades and hear from the players involved.

Take part in competitions and games.

Support Your Fellow Supporters – and Win!

In coming and having fun on the day you will be helping your fellow football fans. We will be launching ‘Remember Well’, which is a Football Memories Programme aimed at using our strong football heritage to improve the lives of people with dementia.

Just like you, people with dementia remember their first game, favourite player, favourite goal and we all love to share those experiences. We want to use those memories, and we need your help. On the day people are invited to:

Bring any football memorabilia such as programmes, football tops, badges, press cuttings or your own pictures for us to take a copy and keep in the archives – we give you back your original. Anyone who brings any memorabilia on the day will receive a free ticket for a future match.

Share your own memories of football. We would love to capture your memories in writing, video or audio. Making you part of that history.

Get involved with Remember Well either as a volunteer or someone who would like to participate. There are great opportunities to become involved in the programme as a volunteer including free access to matches, free MFC Community Trust kit and most importantly a chance to make a difference to someone else’s life.

Don’t sit on the sidelines, come along on the day

For further information contact:

Norrie Gallagher, Remember Well Volunteer Co-ordinator, Old Town Hall High Road, Motherwell, ML1 3HU, 01698 275300 or e-mail ngallagher@alzscot.org

Thanks to CoF for the link and Well done to all who are working on this....

Motherwell Football Club Community Trust, in partnership with Alzheimer Scotland, North Lanarkshire Council and NHS Lanarkshire are working to support dementia sufferers and their families through 'Remember Well', a football based programme using the power of the club and its memorabilia.

http://www.motherwel...l-this-october/

Google now has issues of the Glasgow Herald going back to the 20s i think. Been able to find quite a bit on the rugby club, but here's a couple that might be of interest to you lot!

one: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=fFVRAAAAIBAJ&sjid=JjQNAAAAIBAJ&pg=4362%2C7233961 (well, just to the right of it, can't link directly to it)

two: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=glVRAAAAIBAJ&sjid=JjQNAAAAIBAJ&pg=2480%2C8256170

Don't. Remember that one but another classic was 5-4 win against killie when you could change ends at half time to watch your team shooting towards you- magic

I might be wrong on this one, but the one I'm thinking off, we were 0-2 down to Killie at half time.

Enter Jim O'rourke at the start of the 2nd half and the match flips with him ramming in 4 goals.

Brilliant match.

Texaco cup matches were the bollox.

Great atmosphere and magical nights. If only!!!!

Google now has issues of the Glasgow Herald going back to the 20s i think. Been able to find quite a bit on the rugby club, but here's a couple that might be of interest to you lot!

one: http://news.google.c...=4362%2C7233961 (well, just to the right of it, can't link directly to it)

two: http://news.google.c...=2480%2C8256170

Good reporting back then...nane o'yer Chick Youngs etal back then eh :nod:

was at all of those games including the Morton replay which i think was at Ibrox. I'm still not sure if Jumbo dived and headed the ball in for a goal or if he fell and ball bounced off his head LOL He was one of the guys where it could easily be either of those . Great games!
EDIT: although Hearts texaco game second leg we were 1 up and got beat 2 -1 AET.

Yes texanwellfan we did lose a Texaco Cup match at FP to Hearts 1-2 aet in the circumstances described by Special AKA. I think it was Donald Ford who got the debated equaliser - I'll never forget how sick I felt after losing that one as it was probably my first real disappointment (many more since) as a 'Well fan. But we did get our revenge in the later game I described when we won 4-2. One goal from tha game that has stuck in my memory was a belter from about 20 yards from Jim "Netzer" McCabe.

Yes texanwellfan we did lose a Texaco Cup match at FP to Hearts 1-2 aet in the circumstances described by Special AKA. I think it was Donald Ford who got the debated equaliser - I'll never forget how sick I felt after losing that one as it was probably my first real disappointment (many more since) as a 'Well fan. But we did get our revenge in the later game I described when we won 4-2. One goal from tha game that has stuck in my memory was a belter from about 20 yards from Jim "Netzer" McCabe.

If I remember correctly, Netzer was the nickname for Jim McIlwraith......although it may have been applied to both of them! That as back in the day when nicknames were nicknames - Jumbo Muir, Dixie Deans, etc rather than just shouting Higdon your shite!!

I might be wrong on this one, but the one I'm thinking off, we were 0-2 down to Killie at half time.

Enter Jim O'rourke at the start of the 2nd half and the match flips with him ramming in 4 goals.

Brilliant match.

Texaco cup matches were the bollox.

Great atmosphere and magical nights. If only!!!!

0-2 went to 3-2, to 3-4 and finally 5-4 ............... quite a game.

Agree about the Texaco Cup nights, Stoke, Spurs, Coventry, Norwich, etc, .............. big crowds and great atmosphere under the floodlights.

I think it was Donald Ford who got the debated equaliser - I'll never forget how sick I felt after losing that one as it was probably my first real disappointment (many more since) as a 'Well fan.

I spoke to Donald Ford many years later about this game, and how that he broke my heart that night. Donald was a really nice guy and was the Hearts equivalent to Dixie or Willie P. It’s funny as a kid you tend to hate certain opposition players, but if you get the chance to speak to them later in life I tend to find that they are usually very nice. Donald was one of the nice ones!