The Next 3 Games

mfcdez

A big week starting next Sunday for the boys , and was wondering what our hopes / expectations are at the end of the 3 fixtures .

Personally , I would be delighted with 4 pts from 6 , ( beat The Sheep and draw with Smellic ) , and progression in the cup vs Sevco .

I feel this is an achievable but tough task , so if push came to shove would happily settle for 4 pts and losing out in the diddy cup to the buns . A chunk of gate money and the chance of a right good wind-up would possibly be enough to negate the disappointment of defeat in that one .

Thoughts ?

I would happily take draws against aberdeen and celtic if it meant we got to go to ibrox and get a win!

This.

Fuck this 'field a weakened team in the Cup, it's only the diddy cup' pish. This is a competition that we surely want to progress as far as we can in and we've got an extremely tough draw so we need our strongest side out there giving it their all.

Depends what the finances are really like

Cup games have been reported to have a significant impact on the clubs profit or loss in a season

with a couple of cup ties being worth hell of a lot more than one or two places in the league

be nice if we knew WTF was going on with the finances now that we've been exposed to all the threats in the close season

but finances aside, I think I'd like a go at a cup this season

so would prefer to take a win in that game, and if we have to slip up then drop something in the league (if 6 points is too greedy )

While a win at ibrox has many positives to it, all of them are meaningless with respect to SPL position and european football. Our priorities must lie in taking as many points as possible from Abrdeen and celtic. i think the goal should be 6 points, good is 4 points, acceptable is 3 points, anything less then we have underperformed and need to work on improving over the next few games.

For the league cup game I would not be averse to fielding a team that is not our starting 11. Excellent run out for our fringe players on the cusp of making it into the team. I certainly would be overcautious on using any players with knocks, they MUST be preserved for SPL.

While not as important as the SPL games a win could lead to additional income for the club plus of course there is always added excitement of a good cup run. But again, the downside of a good league cup run is that it stretches our resources and may lead to us lossing out on income form european games next season.

if it was my call, I would be making sure my key players were all going to be fit and ready to face Celtic on the Saturday.

This approach does also have the advantage of taking the "emotion" out of the game and treating it with the level of importance that it is a league cup game against the team 4th in division 3

By treating the game as anything other than that, is a victory for the mass unwashed.

We have already given way more attention than merited. Roll on the Celtic game!

My thinking is the same as that of Texan , would absolutely LOVE to do those c#nts over and have a good run in the cup , but at the end of the day I see the league as most important and , looking at the other fixtures over the next couple of weeks , I see the potential for a lot of draws . So if we take as many points as possible , we could build a gap between us and the pack as we did last time , then we hope to stay injury free and let the rest ( Celtic included ) do the chasing !

I am also hoping that Celtic being in europe, plus a league cup run, will keeep their resources stretched and cause a few slip ups in the SPL for them. The more they slip up the more it will start to mess with their heads and the more other teams will start to smell blood. Seems like a lot of people were wrong about the financial melt down of scottish football and perhaps they may also be wrong about celtic getting the title for a christmas present, we can only wait and see how things transpire.

Seems like a lot of people were wrong about the financial melt down of scottish football

off topic but its a bit early for that deduction

clubs still waiting on SPL funding that was due pre-season, crowds look to be down, TV money down, maybe not as bad as forecast but cuts still being made and probably a year or two to restructure the budgets

anyhoo Higgy just scored on Alba :yahoo:

off topic but its a bit early for that deduction

clubs still waiting on SPL funding that was due pre-season, crowds look to be down, TV money down, maybe not as bad as forecast but cuts still being made and probably a year or two to restructure the budgets

anyhoo Higgy just scored on Alba :yahoo:

agreed , i should have put "immediate" some poeple had us imploding from day 1. and i assume everyone was planning on having to make cuts and restructure budgets. pretty short sighted if they were not.

Cup game shouldn't be the priority as such but that's the one I want us to win the most of the three. Not because of who it is but because cups offer our best chance of glory. I mean real trophy winning glory not the glamour of playing in Europe.

Fact that the club has said that they made more from getting to the Cup Final than finishing third should also point us in that direction...

I hope we win all three. But then I hope we win every game we play!!

Not really a fan of the hypothetical I'd suffer a defeat or draw this game if it meant we could that game, kind of thinking.

One game at a time. Think about Aberdeen, re-group and focus only on Rangers. Take care of that one and then concentrate only on Celtic.

I know I'm in the vast minority, but with all the ridiculous hype that will come with being the first SPL club to go to Ibrox, with the Sevco fans obsessing about focusing their feelings of injustice on us, with it being their biggest game of the season by far, I'd happily field an under-19 team and just make the game as insignificant as possible.

However, if the cup is financially more important to us than the league then obviously we should be looking to progress and field our strongest team possible.

• Like 1

Fact that the club has said that they made more from getting to the Cup Final than finishing third should also point us in that direction...

I may be an absolute mile out with this, but I seem to recall seeing a list of the SPL prize money at some point and was there not a MASSIVE jump between third and second? Anyone got an idea what the prize money breakdown is this season (and previous years)?

I know I'm in the vast minority, but with all the ridiculous hype that will come with being the first SPL club to go to Ibrox, with the Sevco fans obsessing about focusing their feelings of injustice on us, with it being their biggest game of the season by far, I'd happily field an under-19 team and just make the game as insignificant as possible.

However, if the cup is financially more important to us than the league then obviously we should be looking to progress and field our strongest team possible.

I'm with Stu on this one to an extent, pretty sure in terms of finances it was the Scottish Cup which was referred to as being fairly lucrative.

I wouldn't be averse to us playing a fringe team for the League Cup game we could stiil put out a team good enough to progress, and they probably won't have the same "Fear" of The Rangers.

SPL and SFA Cup has to be our priority (I want to go on another European Tour yahoo.gifyahoo.gif)