Out Of Contract?

rab_mackinnon

MOTHERWELL boss Stuart McCall fears he will lose an entire team for nothing at the end of the season.

The Steelmen are currently top of the table after a terrific start to the SPL season. But the Fir Park gaffer knows as many as 11 of his out-of-contract stars could walk next summer – and he won’t receive a penny.

Some of Well’s top players including Darren Randolph, Tom Hateley, Shaun Hutchinson, Chris Humphrey, Nicky Law, Michael Higdon and Jamie Murphy will all be free to talk to other clubs in January.

And, with English suitors already sniffing around, McCall would be surprised if the club hang on to them.

The manager hopes Motherwell can convince several of them to remain but he said: “It looks like I could lose a full team. It’s possible that could happen.

“Look at Randolph for example. I’ve been amazed we’ve not had any concrete bids for him. He’s just got his first full cap for Republic of Ireland and apparently made some great saves.

“I would like Darren to be here between now and the end of the season because I don’t see the benefit in someone coming along in January and us accepting £50,000 for him. There’s no benefit in that because a league placing is worth £80,000 alone.

“Murphy knocked back an offer last year to go to Blackpool and he’s also now in his last year.

“There are other boys like Hateley, Hutchinson, Humphrey, Law and Higdon. Simon Ramsden, Omar Daley and Jonathan Page are also out of contract.

“There is time between now and the summer to see if we can do something but that is a big part of my squad.”

Motherwell sit top of the SPL after their 2-1 win at Dundee on Saturday, where Higdon bagged a double.

Last season McCall led the club to third in the table which earned them a crack at Europe this term.

But he accepts it’s part of life at Motherwell that players will excel in claret and amber for a couple of years – before moving on with the club’s best wishes.

McCall reckons it’s getting harder and harder to convince them to stay in Scotland’s top flight.

He said: “What a lot of players do now if they come up from England, is sign for a couple of years, see how it goes, then move on.

“Certainly, the boys here couldn’t have enjoyed it any more. Playing in Europe, finishing third, getting to a cup final and stuff like that.

“That’s how I try to sell it to them. The old punchline about playing at Ibrox isn’t working any more unfortunately! But every little bit helps to sell it.

“They’re on TV quite a bit in Scotland and they get good exposure playing for a team doing well.

“I’ve got to try and sell it to them any way I can.”

Sadly something we have known for a while. Sell, sell, sell in January or lose them for nowt to precontracts the same month or in the summer.

I don't see many from that list choosing to stay. Financially better deals will be found down South.

I'm also amazed Randolph hasn't had serious interest.

I thought Hutchinson had another year?

Beeb Story

Is Higdon about the only one we can potentially keep? Presume everyone else will be off like. Can only echo the Randolph chat, baffles me that he's be this consistent, for this long, and no-one wants/needs him.

Good opportunity for us to introduce some of the younger lads this season, given that we'll be relatively safe, probably even in the top half. Bit of game time so they're ready to play next season after a bit of experience this season.

What are we potentially looking at then..?

...............Hollis................

Devlin...Saunders...Cummins...Hammell

...Hetherington...Lasley...Carswell...

.......Ojamaa...McHugh...Angol?.......

Plus anyone else kicking around that we could bring in?

1347961938[/url]' post='360929']

Wouldnt say no to that! Although, Angol would have to sit in the midfield.

Firstly, how do you know discussions haven't started?

Secondly, McCall stated that the fee that would be collected for a player out of contract in the summer doesn't really match the potential income of keeping the team together and finishing higher up the league. Yes, he could sell and replace, but he wasn't keen to sign any players that wouldn't improve the squad during the last window so that suggests a weakened squad if they did sell. Anyway, it isn't just as easy as deciding to sell players and good offers immediately appear - you need a club(s) to be interested and a player who wants to leave.

• Like 1

Because its not Football Manager?

That's a bull shit answer - and one that seems to be used, a lot in the wrong context like now. Many clubs across the world - some smaller than us work exactly the way Yoshi said. You offer players, with a year to go an extension, either at 18 months or 12 months left - if they refuse then teams get their player agents to put out feelers - or sometimes even do it themselves.

I do love how FM gets a slating on here, when Premier League clubs have spent hundred of thousand (Everton even a 7 figure sum) - and all but I think 4 head researchers are actually professional scouts - on getting their hands on the full database pre-release.

Anyway, hopefully our stance has improved slightly and we're not going to wait till January to offer contracts. We should offer contracts to our players, even if they have already said in private they will not accept - especially if under 24 as we'll get a small amount of money.

• Like 2

Firstly, how do you know discussions haven't started?

Secondly, McCall stated that the fee that would be collected for a player out of contract in the summer doesn't really match the potential income of keeping the team together and finishing higher up the league. Yes, he could sell and replace, but he wasn't keen to sign any players that wouldn't improve the squad during the last window so that suggests a weakened squad if they did sell. Anyway, it isn't just as easy as deciding to sell players and good offers immediately appear - you need a club(s) to be interested and a player who wants to leave.

I don't, but normally theres some form on report when the manager has started this process.

Fair enough, but I would still have been more vocal about getting interest in if it didnt look likely they would resign, even if it was to gather more interest for the window in January.

Murphy, hateley, humphrey, law and randolph are all certs to leave for free. There is no chance of any of them signing a new deal. The club will be desperate to sell hutchy as well.

The only positive is that we will have a decent amount of room in our budget to bring in players. All those guys are on a good wage so its an opportunity to mix quality and depth. Hopefully mccall and the board are making plans already.

Got to remember all the players who are free to go will be some of our top earners. There will be a huge chunk of the wage bill freed up so we will bring in replacements. McCall seems to have an eye for a player so I expect some quality coming in if we do lose folk. I'd love to keep the squad together it could be quite an exciting time seeing the new team being built. Biggest loss will be Randolph though, he'll be the one that's hard to replace. That said, Hollis has been solid every time I've seen him.

As highlighted the situation is even more interesting when our manager is in the same boat. Perhaps his is the first contract we need to sort.

Although another good season and he really does need to move on for the sake of his own career.

If McCall makes it known in January he plans to leave or negotiations aren't going well then perhaps the board alone will take him out of the negotiation occasion.

McGhee and Fraser instantly springs to mind and gives me the fear.

I don't, but normally theres some form on report when the manager has started this process.

Fair enough, but I would still have been more vocal about getting interest in if it didnt look likely they would resign, even if it was to gather more interest for the window in January.

Catch 22

If the club reported that manager talking to players about extending but then can't report they sign extensions as most of them will be unlikely too , then interested clubs bid low in the window or just tap them up

But saying that this report brings nothing positive at all, now im sure we'll get the usual soundbites that journalist has taken McCall words and twisted them to a story , but it has really pissed me off, that yet again , we're flying high and our leader happily gives a story out that shows our club as weak and poor, in a league that's poor

The media man and directors are always reminding us we need to be positive about what's happening with our club, perhaps they should have a word with Stuart, whom a lot of the potential fans will take a measure of interest in

I can't understand how it ever gets to this, when you have a year to go offer them new contracts and see where they stand, if they wont accept then try punt them while they are worth a few quid. Just don't let it go down to the wire and we end up in a panic because we dont have a team.

"We" don't panic.

A lot of people on here panic, but the club does not. I think it's fair to see that we have not only coped with players leaving the club in the past few years, but actually improved as a team.

However, if you are a player, why would you sign a new contract a year in advance when you can wait a few months to see what other offers are on the table?

That's a bull shit answer - and one that seems to be used, a lot in the wrong context like now. Many clubs across the world - some smaller than us work exactly the way Yoshi said. You offer players, with a year to go an extension, either at 18 months or 12 months left - if they refuse then teams get their player agents to put out feelers - or sometimes even do it themselves.

I do love how FM gets a slating on here, when Premier League clubs have spent hundred of thousand (Everton even a 7 figure sum) - and all but I think 4 head researchers are actually professional scouts - on getting their hands on the full database pre-release.

Anyway, hopefully our stance has improved slightly and we're not going to wait till January to offer contracts. We should offer contracts to our players, even if they have already said in private they will not accept - especially if under 24 as we'll get a small amount of money.

You're a raging FM addict then? Everton using it is well publicised, but its also produced a whole collection of people who think they know how to run a football club. I don't, in no way do I pretend to, but I'd imagine it's distinctly more difficult than 'sell off players who lose all value in 6 months - then replace them.'.

It is a facetious answer, but with the budget considerations that the club has, can they afford to offer new contracts at the start of a season? Can they guarantee the income in a year or two years time? Do players want to sign? Do players want to leave? Does the manager want to lose them? Does the manager have time to replace the player before the season starts? Does he have time to bed them in and fit them into a system? Will it stunt youth players growth and development? Are the guys that player u-19s last year ready to step up? Are they going to develop enough to be sold on?

Given how difficult it must be to entice players to our club, its a massive, massive risk to let a collection of players go and bring in another crop around the same quality.

For example, at the start of our cup final season, would you have offered a new contract to Sutton? Probably not. Competent performer, but not worth pushing the boat out for. At the end of the season? Almost certainly. With hindsight, would you rather have had Higdon or Sutton? I'd take Higdon. You're constantly playing a balancing game between risk and reward here.

Additionally, given the strops that folk seem to throw about us not getting the besgt value for our players, you want to start actively advertising to other clubs that we want rid of them?

But saying that this report brings nothing positive at all, now im sure we'll get the usual soundbites that journalist has taken McCall words and twisted them to a story, but it has really pissed me off, that yet again , we're flying high and our leader happily gives a story out that shows our club as weak and poor, in a league that's poor

I thought this aswell, but more to do with the paper running this type of story rather than what McCall has said. Top of the league and this is the best/only story they can come up with about us?

Top of the league and this is the best/only story they can come up with about us?

I wonder who our next set of fixtures in the next week/ten days sees us up against. Aberdeen, followed by.....Ohh wait!!! and then after that there's....Ahhhh right....

It's not exactly a tactic we're unfamiliar with over the years albeit its a bit more subtle since the transfer window came in and they weren't able to run with the "Celtic in for Motherwell's hoops loving, called his cat Henrik, dug Lubo, only ever wears green socks and refuses to eat carrots striker" 2 days before we play them.