Is Mcall Now A Great ?

gilmour

I'm sure steelboy is entirely serious with the remark, he said along similar lines on a couple of occasions now although without justification in my mind.

he's only brought in 6 players on more than 6 month contracts and 3 of them have been his ex bradford players. when you consider how many players there are out there compared to how many guys who played in his awful bradford team are available it suggests he's not casting the net very wide. mccall seems like a good guy and probably has a rose tinted view of players he feels have worked hard for him in the past.

we needed a centre mid in the summer and we didn't get one? were there no players in that position available? obviously there were but we choose to use the little money we have to sign ramsden who hasn't looked any great shakes in the matches he has played and can't even get in the team just now.

it looks a hell of a lot like mccall didn't think we need a centre mid or we need a defender he just wanted to sign ramsden because he likes him as a person. when you look at the team we are putting on the park then you look at the bench and see two guys in their 30s sitting their contributing fuck all but no doubt eating up decent wages it's hard to say we are making the most of our resources.

our lack of a decent midfielder is already hurting us and will only become a bigger problem when the weather gets bad and lasley gets suspended or injured. looking at his transfer business this summer i'd say mccall has been extremely negligent putting his mate ahead of the interest of the club.

he's only brought in 6 players on more than 6 month contracts and 3 of them have been his ex bradford players. when you consider how many players there are out there compared to how many guys who played in his awful bradford team are available it suggests he's not casting the net very wide. mccall seems like a good guy and probably has a rose tinted view of players he feels have worked hard for him in the past.

we needed a centre mid in the summer and we didn't get one? were there no players in that position available? obviously there were but we choose to use the little money we have to sign ramsden who hasn't looked any great shakes in the matches he has played and can't even get in the team just now.

it looks a hell of a lot like mccall didn't think we need a centre mid or we need a defender he just wanted to sign ramsden because he likes him as a person. when you look at the team we are putting on the park then you look at the bench and see two guys in their 30s sitting their contributing fuck all but no doubt eating up decent wages it's hard to say we are making the most of our resources.

our lack of a decent midfielder is already hurting us and will only become a bigger problem when the weather gets bad and lasley gets suspended or injured. looking at his transfer business this summer i'd say mccall has been extremely negligent putting his mate ahead of the interest of the club.

I was with you until this utter shite.

So you think McCall would scarifice or take major chances in finishing his managerial career by signing players he doesn't think are good enough but likes them so wants to see them pulling a wage?

i doubt he sees it that way but the way he treats some players reminds me of billy davies managing his brother john years ago.

so trying to go through a season with one recognised centre midfielder (who is 33 and a card magnet) isn't negligent?

No, it's not.

McCall repeatedly said his number one transfer aim was to find a holding midfielder to replace Jennings. The fact that he didn't manage that does not make him negligent. It might make him ineffective or even incompetent (although I don't believe that), but that is a different charge all together.

No, it's not.

McCall repeatedly said his number one transfer aim was to find a holding midfielder to replace Jennings. The fact that he didn't manage that does not make him negligent. It might make him ineffective or even incompetent (although I don't believe that), but that is a different charge all together.

yet he spunked all the available income on a defender who doesn't even start?

surely the only reason we don't have a new centre mid is because we can't afford one, if mccall has the money sitting and still can't get anyone in it's not much better.

From all acounts thus far we'll get to see how McCall fares in the transfer market next summer. If we lose as many players as it looks like we may he'll need to rebuild the team, and he'll have a fair chunk of wage budget to play with.

As I said earlier, I'll judge him after that happens. If we can maintain a challenge for a European spot over the next two or three years and he's at the helm he'll have answered all of his critics in resounding fashion.

yet he spunked all the available income on a defender who doesn't even start?

surely the only reason we don't have a new centre mid is because we can't afford one, if mccall has the money sitting and still can't get anyone in it's not much better.

I'm assuming that he didn't "spunk all the money" on a defender given that we offered Stevenson and McFadden deals. So there are funds available? Would you rather he brought in a centre midfielder for the sake of it? If he couldn't find someone who could contribute who was within our budget, then not much else he can do. Oh wait a minute, he did find someone within our budget, but the player chose to go to Hearts. Again not much he can do there. For the most part, our wage structure dictates we get the players willing to come to the SPL that Hearts, Hibs, Dundee United and Aberdeen don't want.

I think McCall's done alright with those constraints...

• Like 3

If he's been looking for a ball winning centre midfielder for 3 months+ and can't find someone better than hateley then i'd say it reflects badly on him.

Everyone would agree that replacing jenno should have been top priority of the summer and mccall has failed to do that whatever you dress it up

Jim Gannon would have sorted it out in jig time :whistling:

When Stuart McCall has such a small budget(such as ours) he knows that he cant take risks with people therefvore he likes to sign people he knows and trusts.

Omar Daley is no world beater however he hasn't had a really good run in the team although he has had a couple of goals

If he's been looking for a ball winning centre midfielder for 3 months+ and can't find someone better than hateley then i'd say it reflects badly on him.

Everyone would agree that replacing jenno should have been top priority of the summer and mccall has failed to do that whatever you dress it up

For someone who rated Jennings so highly that replacing him was the priority, you do him a disservice. He has very good positional sense (has to with his pace) and he was very good at knowing how to retain possession.

Finding someone like that on our budget who hasn't had his head turned by someone offering more money is no easy task..

Completely disappointed that Carswell or Hetherington haven't been able to step up and fill the 'Jenno Gap'. Are they poor players or is McCall simply not giving them a fair shake?

Having seen what most of the SPL has to offer, I'd be tempted to give Carswell a run. We won't find out if he's good enough unless we give him a run of games. No way we'll get relegated this season so giving guys like Cummins, Carswell, Hetherington and Angol a real chance to show what they can do will let us know exactly how much rebuilding is needed next summer. Might not be as much as we feared...

• Like 1

We managed to sign jennings on a lower wage than when he left so it's not impossible to bring decent players in.

We don't need a world beater anyway just a leitch style ball winner who can protect the back 4. Being polite lasley is being more economical with his efforts this season, hateley isn't sharp enough and law flits in and out. None of them are capable of doing jenno's job.

Carswell looks the best option for a defensive role but their is no chance mccall will give him a run.

We don't need a world beater anyway just a leitch style ball winner who can protect the back 4. Being polite lasley is being more economical with his efforts this season, hateley isn't sharp enough and law flits in and out. None of them are capable of doing jenno's job.

Carswell looks the best option for a defensive role but their is no chance mccall will give him a run.

If that's your assessment of our other midfielders, suggests we need more than someone to protect the back four. Early in the season when Law and Lasley were paired there, Law seemed to be playing deeper. I reckon a solution would be for Lasley to play in front of the back four. Jennings showed that you don't have to be that quick for the job.

But failing that, Carswell would be my preferred option...

I'd like to see Carswell getting a run and some patience / breathing space in that centre mide role.

This should be the season for it with some very poor sides in the SPL. Too bad some Motherwell fans don't accept the phrase "transitional season". We need to start blooding these young guys or they'll never develop. Only so much they can learn in the U20s...

• Like 1

The fact that we haven't beaten Rangers in 18 years is not a problem, what is the problem is that the club seem to have settled for that position. when was the last time we actually played as if we thought we could get something. All we do is turn up and wait for the slaughtermans bolt. It was embarrassing enough sucking their boaby when they were in the SPL, but the necrophilia we're indulging in now is beyond the pale.

The day before the game the club releases a statement of such breathtaking inanity, a statement cobbled together and changed so many times that it doesn't make any sense.

Then we march over to Ibrox and play the sacrificial lamb.

It looks more and more like Motherwell are just Rangers Fuck Toy.

McCall is a complete and utter ****

• Like 1