Is Mcall Now A Great ?

gilmour

Kind of joining two threads here regarding his pre and post match comments.

I've always felt regarding Rangers that he has an obvious affinity with them having been a player for a while and experiencing success there. And obviously being mates with "Coisty" I fucking feel like screaming when I hear McCall refer to him like that. I get that affinity, he doesn't and shouldn't feel the need to bang on about it and is the one thing about McCall that I seriously dislike, very unprofessional in my book but there you go.

What I feel his agenda is possibly, and it's just my opinion, is that he quite fancies the gig there at some point and doesn't want to shit in his next or future possible nest.

The weird thing is some Rangers 'fans' I know are only just NOW cottoning on to the fact we haven't beaten them in 10 years. Amazing really.

Their short term memory is better though and they are well aware of how much of a doing they have given us since January 2011, in particular. In that respect, whilst they appreciate him as a former player, I don't know too many that are looking at him as their future manager.

It's these results, imo which will cost him that job.

Job down South is his next move. If I was McCall I would be thinking the summer is the right time. If he hasn't committed to us by January 1st I'd be letting it known we are looking for a new manager and take renewal of contracts etc. out of his hands.

We don't want a 'Jennings situation' in the manager's seat.

My God burn the witch.

1 game and you are totally inept and incompetent :dash2:

We have had better teams fail at greyskull ffs over reaction astounding. Yes last night was sickening but please keep it in perspective, what has he done so far and with what ? Budget for this season was cut despite us reaching a cup final last season and euro games.

A bit of perspective.

• Like 1

Completely disappointed that Carswell or Hetherington haven't been able to step up and fill the 'Jenno Gap'. Are they poor players or is McCall simply not giving them a fair shake?

A fair question Haggis. All I would say is that neither lad is the "Jenno" type of player. What we need right now is a Billy Bremner, Dave Mackay, Colin O'Neil or Stewart MacLaren sort. A guy who is going to advance, on his own if needs be, against a wave of attackers and get stuck in. I believe that Ian Davidson of Dundee is earning rave reviews right now. A big lad he apparently dominated the midfield physically against us and only when he retired injured did we begin to turn the screw. He didn't come from Barcelona or Inter Milan but from Raith Rovers.

Not sure where to post this as several threads seem to have descended into analysis of Stuart McCall as a manager. But here seems as good a place as any...

Is McCall a great? No, of course not. He's only been here around 20 months. But let's look at those 20 months, shall we?

He was in the door two minutes when he had one of his two first choice centre backs sold. And then found the club's top scorer at that point in the season was now on loan to a rival club. What did he do given those circumstances? Brought in a few guys in Jones, Jeffers and Ross who didn't cost the earth and who all helped get us to a cup final. Ok, he made a bit of a mess of said cup final but he got us there.

Then what happened? For the second time in six months, his top scorer walked out of the door for nothing. So he brought in a replacement for free and used the wages freed up after the departure of his three short term signings to bring in a good first team midfielder, a defender surplus to requirements at Kilmarnock and a versatile winger to sit on the bench (a guy who had a big hand in wins at St Johnstone and Aberdeen). And when the season looked to be drifting away a bit he brought in a striker no one had heard of who gave the season a kick start. And took us to third place.

And so to this summer. With his budget cut, he finds himself losing the club captain, another centre back and a key midfielder. He only managed to bring in only one defender but despite that has us unbeaten in the league after seven games. Ok, there are the three cup exits, only one of which was unexpected. Obviously our season could go very wrong from here but judged so far, I reckon he's done an excellent job.

Are there areas he could do better in? Aye, I'd like to see younger guys given more of a run but he is at least giving Cummins, Hetherington and Carswell more of a chance than Page and Lawless got last season, albeit through necessity.

Could we do better against the Old Firm? Aye. And he does seem too respectful of opponents at times.

But as with players, no Motherwell manager is going to be without his weaknesses. Otherwise they're not at Motherwell long.

Wednesday night was a sore one, but there seems a rush to kick McCall when he's down. More games like it, and fair enough, I'll put my steelies on and join in. But for me, he's earned the right to be cut some slack..

• Like 5

Is this thread still going..? .FFS..Answer is No, should have been closed after the first response...:wallbash:

I agree and said as much at the start of my post. But the thread seems to have turned into a discussion of McCall's merits as a manager. So it seemed the most appropriate place to counter what seems an all too gleeful criticism of him..

Not sure where to post this as several threads seem to have descended into analysis of Stuart McCall as a manager. But here seems as good a place as any...

Is McCall a great? No, of course not. He's only been here around 20 months. But let's look at those 20 months, shall we?

He was in the door two minutes when he had one of his two first choice centre backs sold. And then found the club's top scorer at that point in the season was now on loan to a rival club. What did he do given those circumstances? Brought in a few guys in Jones, Jeffers and Ross who didn't cost the earth and who all helped get us to a cup final. Ok, he made a bit of a mess of said cup final but he got us there.

Then what happened? For the second time in six months, his top scorer walked out of the door for nothing. So he brought in a replacement for free and used the wages freed up after the departure of his three short term signings to bring in a good first team midfielder, a defender surplus to requirements at Kilmarnock and a versatile winger to sit on the bench (a guy who had a big hand in wins at St Johnstone and Aberdeen). And when the season looked to be drifting away a bit he brought in a striker no one had heard of who gave the season a kick start. And took us to third place.

And so to this summer. With his budget cut, he finds himself losing the club captain, another centre back and a key midfielder. He only managed to bring in only one defender but despite that has us unbeaten in the league after seven games. Ok, there are the three cup exits, only one of which was unexpected. Obviously our season could go very wrong from here but judged so far, I reckon he's done an excellent job.

Are there areas he could do better in? Aye, I'd like to see younger guys given more of a run but he is at least giving Cummins, Hetherington and Carswell more of a chance than Page and Lawless got last season, albeit through necessity.

Could we do better against the Old Firm? Aye. And he does seem too respectful of opponents at times.

But as with players, no Motherwell manager is going to be without his weaknesses. Otherwise they're not at Motherwell long.

Wednesday night was a sore one, but there seems a rush to kick McCall when he's down. More games like it, and fair enough, I'll put my steelies on and join in. But for me, he's earned the right to be cut some slack..

Well said that man!!!

To be honest, I read my post back and it sounds like a defence of McCall. Only issue I have with that is that given his record, he shouldn't really need anyone to defend him..

I know, we're sitting top of the SPL, played in the champions league this year and are fast establishing ourselves as the "3rd force" despite having one of the smallest budgets in the league.

Folk are slating the manager as we can't compete with teams with 10 times our resources (rangers, Celtic, panathinaikos, levante).

It's absolutely fukin' mental!!!

I was as disappointed as the rest on Wednesday night with our lack of fight, but a bit of perspective!!

We have failed in some big games, and perhaps appear to freeze slightly, but that's been happening for as long as I can remember, and the big games tend to be against the better teams.

Again, defeats against Pana, Levante, and ultimately Celtic are a LOT different to a 3rd Div Rangers side that was without four of their big summer signings with number five getting stretchered off after 20 odd mins. Big stadium snd lots of fans on this occasion does not amount to a good team.

However, you are correct about what we have achieved on the budget we have. We shouldn't be looking to rest on our laurels though. We should be looking to better ourselves and break the glass ceiling by winning any trophy.

Wednesday night, even if it had not resulted in celebration in Glasgow in March, would have been such a massive boost for everyone connected to the Club.

All eyes on the Scottish Cup now.