Rangers V Motherwell

Bop

I know there is a thread already about the crowd and another about the cup in general but thought it kept things a bit tidier if there was a thread specific to the match itself. I think we need to keep Murphy on the bench, bring Ramsden back into the back four for some added experience and keep Daley as far away from the match day squad as possible. If we get right in about them and manage to score an early goal i'll be confident of a fairly comfortable victory. 4-1. Higgy hat trick and Ojamaa with the other.

I'm worried about the game more than ever now. I think against a Rangers team desperate to beat us in front of maybe 30 odd thousand fans our defence will crumble. We need to get Hateley back out to right back and move Kerr into the middle with Hutch. Cummings is a good centre half, very neat and tidy but needs to win far more ariel battles in the box.

We are also going to struggle in midfield, Lasley can't do it all on his own but I don't think we have anyone at the club good enough to fill Jennings boots.

We will be able to score against them if we have a go but it all boils down to McCall and with his track record against Rangers I doubt we will.

4-1 defeat on the cards I think.

We should be abe to beat that lot with any of our first team squad. But agreed bring Ramsden back if fit . bring on daley for last 10 mins to take the piss

I have seen us lose far too many league cup games to 'inferior' opposition in the past to think that we 'should be able' to beat any lot.

Not to say we don't have a great chance, because I think we do. It's just not the banker so many people on here seem to think and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we lose.

• Like 1

Might not be popular but I'd go with;

Randolph

Hateley Ramsden Hutchinson Hammell

Humphrey Law Lasley Murphy

Higdon Ojamaa

Kerr played in midfield when he came on against Killie and looked decent. He is a goal threat and I'd switch Humphrey to the left and take Murphy off for him if he is being bossed.

No way are we gubbing Rangers. Not a chance. If we DO win it would be by two goals max.

2-1 us AET.

We better win :laugh:

I have seen us lose far too many league cup games to 'inferior' opposition in the past to think that we 'should be able' to beat any lot.

Not to say we don't have a great chance, because I think we do. It's just not the banker so many people on here seem to think and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we lose.

So have I but this is a different scenario. Yes we are the big team but this is a chance to beat Rangers in any shape or form and put years of suffering to end. We have competed well in europe and sit top of the spl so no reason to fear

rangers sounded brutal on the radio today. if we play our game we should boss them and their defence is good for giving up a goal or two. think back to how bad clyde and queens park were last season, that's the level of team rangers are toiling against.

i'm not going to be suicidal if lose though, the ticket money alone means that the league cup has been good for us this season. we've had worse results than losing this game, there is no point getting overly fixated on one game when we have plenty to do in the league. i see some of the usual drama queens talking about walking away from the club if we don't win this game :help: at the rate we're going there will be guys threatening to walk if it rains on a saturday.

It is just one game.....but it is massive. Financially good but to progress to QFs means more money and a real chance to get to SF considering who could be left.

Biggest game of the season so far for me. By far....and I am including the Euro fixtures in that.

Ahhh my favourite type of thread.

Well on paper this the SPL leaders against a Third Division side, surely that should be a pointer as to who wins this game? But games are never won on paper.

Apart from that, this fixture means a whole lot more, especially to Motherwell fans who are in the main desperate to see us get a win over a side that calls themselves 'Rangers' and plays at Ibrox. I know I certainly want us to get a win against this lot, especially after all those many years of frustration and failure against the oldco Rangers, and I would guess the majority of Motherwell fans feel the same.

But will they get their wish?

Well, there's no doubt that this is probably our best chance to win at Ibrox and knock the locals out of a major Cup competition, given that we are the SPL side and they are not as strong as they were when they were Rangers as they were in the SPL. But history would show that Motherwell do not beat teams called Rangers who play at Ibrox and our shocking record against Rangers oldco fully supports that.

'Rangers' of 2012 are a poor side, as has been proved with their struggles in the 3rd division and against QoS in the Ramsdens Cup and I think that although they definately have SPL class players in their squad which would secure them a mid table finish had they been plying their trade in the top flight, they are a pretty disjointed outfit who can be beaten. They can be beaten by sides who give them zero respect and get right in their faces, chase them down at every turn and stop them from settling down and get into any sort of flow. That's how QoS got the better of them, how Peterhead and Berwick drew with and should have beaten them.

Quite simply, give them no respect and get stuck right in and you've got a great chance of beating this team.

But there's the thing. Motherwell can't play like that. We can't get in team's faces and play with a bit of arrogance, giving no respect to the supposed 'better' opposition. Therefore we will not win on Wednesday, when the home side will be absolutely desperate to win to get their season back on track after losing to QoS last week and when their supporters will be spitting blood to get the better of an SPL side. They will be up for it, but will our players raise our game enough to rise to the challenge? I doubt it.

I don't know what the scoreline will be, but I do know this. Motherwell will lose to 'Rangers' on Wednesday, one way or another and it will be a sore one to take regardless of how it happens.

Just for 'guessing' sake, I predict 2-0 to 'The Rangers'.

• Like 2

But there's the thing. Motherwell can't play like that. We can't get in team's faces and play with a bit of arrogance, giving no respect to the supposed better opposition.

better opposition? i don't think there will much of an inferiority complex against barry mckay and lewis mcleod.

our last 6 games against sfl teams have a combined score of 21-0 in our favour. rangers have already lost 9 goals to sfl teams this season.

Eh? Call yourself a well fan? What's the point in even checking the result on Wednesday night if you sllready know the score? Put your mortgage on a home win rather than correct score if you're that confident! Cone on, this is our best chance in 20 years and that's why I'm going, when we do it at least I can say"I was there"!!!

• Like 1

better opposition? i don't think there will much of an inferiority complex against barry mckay and lewis mcleod.

You would think yes, but I'm afraid I have absolutely no faith whatsoever in McCall and this team to go to Ibrox with the belief and the bottle to come away with the win. McCall's already been in the paper today telling us how 'Rangers' are favourites and why they'll be desperate to win from their point of view. Well never mind them, what about us and how we're desperate to win to progress in the Cup and bury this horrendous Ibrox hoodoo?

As far as I'm concerned, McCall and the players owe the supporters a win against Rangers on Wednesday after all the pathetic showings against them over the years, but I can't see us getting it.

• Like 1

As netherton well fan posted recently, there is nothing in it with the bookies and we are away, we were even favourite st at one point - the bookies give hee haw away , the Germans had, and still have a large following of bdb's, but we were favs? Work it out

I'm not interested in what the bookies say, I'm not a betting man so that means nothing to me. They make a guess as to what the score will be, the same as me or anyone else does, that doesn't make the scoreline they predict any more or less likely to happen than the one I predict.

I firmly believe we will lose to 'Rangers' because they are, on their day, a match for us and with the big crowd behind them, combined with our inferiority complex whenever we see a Rangers jersey then there is only going to be one winner in this game as far as I can see. I'd love to be wrong, but we do not possess the bottle or the savvy to go into this game and come away with the win.

Normally I'd go with the lack of bottle, belief, skill and too much respect line.....but this time I think we can beat them.

A defeat and none of us should go back to the two grounds in Glasgow until the team start showing some true fight :laugh:

Seriousness of that statement can be picked over on Thursday morning :wink:

Totally agree and don't want to take this point any further apart from the fact that I won't be back to greyskull no matter what cos ill enjoy myself in Larky on thurs come what may! If and only if we lose my reply will be its the Diddy cup and we are again saving ourselves for another trip to europe next year and not the Matt n gloss cup 2 nd round defeat again.:£)

I never accept the diddy cup stuff....I think the League Cup is my favourite competition due to the fact you know you are going to see a winner every tie you go to. I always think they have a different and sometimes more enjoyable atmosphere.

I was more gutted after the penalty loss to Hibs last season than any other domestic match I can think of in recent times. Even the Cup Final which is a bit odd.