Rangers V Motherwell

Bop

Having been very apprehensive about the circus we might be walking into when the draw was originally made I'm really excited about it now.

Talk of stewards, over-zealous police, an intimidating home support or poor results isn't going to deter me from going to support Motherwell at Ibrox , Parkhead or wherever. But the fact that we go there on Wednesday with on the face of it, a heightened chance of getting a result, only serves to whet the appetite even further to make sure I'm there.

I don't believe we will beat simply because they happen to find themselves in Division three but by virtue of the TV companies covering their games I have seen enough to know that if we can turn in an attacking performance of the manner we are capable of, we have enough about us to beat them.

As has been mentioned already mentality will play a huge factor.

I think it has been significant that on day one Rangers didn't blow Brechin City away as everyone expected. Even after going ahead after just 4 minutes that day. People saw that Brechin took them to extra-time. Then they saw Peterhead draw with them. Then they saw East Stirling take the lead at Ibrox.

And every team that has come up against them since has approached them with no fear, in the knowledge that they can get about them. They are in a no lose scenario where they too can create a wee bit history but if they get pumped, so what.

We don't have that luxury of being able to shrug off a defeat but we should very much be looking to replicate the "I don't give a fuck who used to be" mentality that everyone who has played them has adopted.

It would be soul destroying if were to believe we were going in there to play Rangers old and allowed all the old baggage to weigh us down.

I firmly believe that if we get the mental side of things right we'll come good on Wednesday.

We simply don't have the bottle for a fight and weds will be exactly that. McCulloch will bully our defenders,we will ship 2 or 3 very soft goals,Black will kick fuck out of Nicky Law unpunished n McCall will go home having presided over yet another rangers capitulation. Same shite,different day. It fucking hurts to say that but I have no confidence in McCall doing anything other than his usual against them,and what rankles most is that if we went at them with some belief we'd fucking scud them.

• Like 1

We need power and experience at cb so Id go for Ramsden & Hutch, I'll be putting £20 on Las red card too. Black will do his usual cardboard gangster pish all game without a booking,las will get a yellow 1st tackle then red 2nd half. They have no real pace & a ropey defence,apparently the rb thinks he's cafu n Wallace likes to get forward. I think we need pace out wide to take advantage of the big pitch n gaps the fb's will leave.

Randolph

Kerr,Ramsden,Hutch,Hammell

Humphrey,Lasley,Hateley,Murphy

Ojamaa,Higdon

I never accept the diddy cup stuff....I think the League Cup is my favourite competition due to the fact you know you are going to see a winner every tie you go to. I always think they have a different and sometimes more enjoyable atmosphere.

I was more gutted after the penalty loss to Hibs last season than any other domestic match I can think of in recent times. Even the Cup Final which is a bit odd.

I can confirm that the league cup is good ;-)

Randolph

Kerr,Ramsden,Hutch,Hammell

Humphrey,Lasley,Hateley,Murphy

Ojamaa,Higdon

Id go with this.

Murphy will be smarting after being dropped yesterday and he will enjoy the extra space on the bigger pitch. With the state of their defence I would fully expect Murph Humph and Henrik to cause absolute chaos.........but only if McCall takes the shackles off!

Just been and got my ticket, we have sold around 500 so far, not sure what we usually take.

I'm not sure what team to play, I think I would give

Ramsden a game instead of Cummins as I feel big McCulloch would bully him whilst Rsmsden is an older head.

Not sure what the score will be, I'm not confident at all but they have been poor.

I am confident that we can beat this mob. However, we need to remember that they have a side that on paper would be able to hold their own in the top half of the SPL. The one thing in their favour is home advantage, but if we go about our business in the correct manner we should be too strong for them.

2-1 Motherwell.

As has been mentioned, this team is Rangers only in name. They aren't even a shadow of the teams that we've faced over the years, and for that reason I have to be confident that we can get a win. It won't be an easy game, and I don't see us winning by many goals, but if we don't progress I'd consider it a disappointing result.

The greatest thing motherwell have to overcome on Wed is our own inferiority complex whenever we see a Rangers jersey, it time to ditch the emotional baggage and get right feckin into them. They probably have a side that might hold its own in the SPL, but so do Inverness, Kilmarnock Aberdeen etc, and we have dealt with them without too much fuss.

So this is the time to get into them and slap them down to remind them that they are a 3rd division side, and lucky to be even that, its time for some payback for 10 years of letting them shaft us.. Believe :nod:

The greatest thing motherwell have to overcome on Wed is our own inferiority complex whenever we see a Rangers jersey, it time to ditch the emotional baggage and get right feckin into them.

Correct, they are no where near the standard of previous Rangers sides. They have some good SPL quality players but they also have some young inexperienced players as well. As you say, we need to overcome the mental block of playing at Ibrox. If we can ignore the crowd and play to our strengths, it’s a tie that we should win.

Was quite interested to see how the bookies would price this game up given the current situation. Both teams were pretty level with most bookies last night but there seems to have been a bit of money put on the h**s making our price of 21/10 to win in 90 minutes quite appealing. We're even money with bet365 to qualify which is also good value to me.

I think Hateley has got to be moved back into defence as he's poor in central midfield and Kerr has looked a bit shaky the last couple of games at right back. We could do with a more combative type player to partner Lasley, hopefully Ramsden is up to that role if called upon.

No reason why we shouldn't win this tie and I'll be totally gutted if we were to be put out as this is the best chance we've had in years of getting a result at Ibrox. They've conceded in most of their games at Ibrox and with us scoring 9 in our last 3 we are more than capable of demolishing these c***s as long as we can defend better than we did yesterday.

Mon the Well!

Having a look at Rangers Media, the Rangers team will likely be unchanged from yesterday and will therefore be, I believe:

Alexander

Faure --- Perry --- Cribari --- Wallace

Argyriou --- Black --- Shiels --- MacLeod --- McKay

McCulloch

As much as I understand the uncertainty and anxiety before a trip to Ibrox based on our past form, that's a team we should be beating and I'll be turning up on Wednesday fully expecting us to do so.

Alexander's obviously a very decent SPL goalkeeper, and the likes of Wallace, Black and Shiels are top six quality. McCulloch has gradually been used more defensively as he's aged and gotten slower, so while his experience and ability to bully defenders will be an issue (allied to the fact he's almost certain to score) his lack of mobility and pace won't be.

Outwith those players, who are we actually facing here? Perry, MacLeod and McKay are youngsters who might look half decent (and regularly don't look decent) against Third Division part-timers.

That leaves the foreign contingent. Sebastian Faure barely played a first team game before joining Rangers, Anestis Argyriou played a handful of games over five years in Greece, and Emilson Cribari has only played a few times over the past couple of years. None of these players have any experience of Scottish football outwith the Third Division and Challenge Cup (playing in teams that have failed to win away from home in the league, and have been knocked out of the cup). McCoist can brief them all day about how big a step up it is, but none of these players will have any idea of how good SPL players are (in comparison to the bottom division) until Wednesday night. I reckon that's a crucial point and one we should take full example of.

Outwith those players, there's the likes of Sandaza and Kyle (both of whom the Rangers support have been berating as hopeless so far this season) and other youngsters who'd be squad players (if that) in most decent SPL sides.

It's a cup tie away from home against a side that has players like Shiels and Wallace who are good quality SPL players, and the likes of McCulloch who will pose a threat up front. In any game of football there's a chance of a defeat and there's a very real chance here. But putting aside all the fear and worry about a trip to Ibrox aside, I expect us to go through on Wednesday night.

The biggest worry from the Rangers support is that their defence is ganting. That's their take on it. Take the game to them early on, start at a quick tempo, and get in about a dodgy defence (featuring two players with no idea about the level of player they're coming up against), and there's no reason why we can't get a couple of early goals. From there, the home support get on their backs and it's shooty in.

It almost feels like it's taboo amongst Motherwell fans to talk about expecting a win on Wednesday night. But that's exactly what I do expect.

• Like 3

As much as I understand the uncertainty and anxiety before a trip to Ibrox based on our past form, that's a team we should be beating and I'll be turning up on Wednesday fully expecting us to do so.

Alexander's obviously a very decent SPL goalkeeper, and the likes of Wallace, Black and Shiels are top six quality. McCulloch has gradually been used more defensively as he's aged and gotten slower, so while his experience and ability to bully defenders will be an issue (allied to the fact he's almost certain to score) his lack of mobility and pace won't be.

that whole quote puts the fear into me!!!!!!!!

the only way i can see us winning this is to attack from the start, go at them and show no respect

but i've been to way too many games against this(that) mob to know we dont normally turn up and ive been to waayy to many lower league games where we've had an early exit!

hateley out of midfield, OJ, Murph, Humphrey and Higgy all to start - and we might have a chance!!

If they line up as Jay has suggested above , with Faure and Arygriou at R/B and R/M , we should be looking at starting Murphy and attacking down the left and pressuring these two early doors , as from what has been seen of them on t.v. so far , they are both absolutely ganting .

Personally would bench young Kerr and move Hateley back , and start with both Higgy and Henrik . Get ball out wide as much as possible in early part of the game , with emphasis on the left hand side. Be bold and approach the game as the favourites we rightly are and there is no reason to doubt we can win this one .

For probably the first time ever, certainly the first time since wee Tam's tenure, man for man we are as strong or better than Rangers in every area of the park.

On paper we should wipe the floor with them, but saying that, on paper any team with a wage bill dwarfing the opposition should be expecting a crushing victory over us!

I hope we win, infact, I would Kevin Keegan style love it if we pissed all over them in their own back yard. I don't think it will be as easy as that however. The fans, and players are going to be 100% up for this one. They will know that they can't expect to turn up and scud us as they expect the div3 teams.

Whilst I'll be dissapointed if we lose, unlike some of the reactionaries on here it won't be the end of the world.

The one thing that will really annoy me is if we don't set out to take the game to this mob. They are there for the beating and every team so far has set up to get stuck into them. We are far better than any team they have faced so far so lets show them.

I really want McCall to let the team off the leish this time, none of the play it safe mentality here. If we get beat by really going at them then so be it, but give us the chance to have a right good crack at them!

• Like 1

but i've been to way too many games against this(that) mob to know we dont normally turn up

As have I. I've also been to plenty of games against them where we have turned up and have lost the game, drawn the game, or had a result taken from us due to a shite refereeing decision or bit of bad luck. However, the fundamental difference is that in every single one of those games, the Rangers line-up was considerably better than ours with better players in the starting eleven, better back-ups on the bench, and, more often than not, a better run of SPL form going into the game.

No one can possibly convince me that our starting eleven is anything but better than the Rangers starting eleven, man for man. They are there for the taking. Obviously football is unpredictable which is why I have said I expect to win rather than we will win, however this idea that we're going to get horsed on Wednesday because of past results isn't a solid argument IMO, simply because Wednesday's scenario is incomparable with previous games.

ive been to waayy to many lower league games where we've had an early exit!

Again, as have I. And there have been a number of embarrassing defeats and early exits against lower league games, which is why I mentioned that there's a real chance of defeat on Wednesday, like in any game. However, I went into everyone of those matches against lower league sides expecting the victory.

It'll be interesting if McCall comes out today or tomorrow and talks down our chances like usual. It'll give Motherwell fans the chance to berate him for talking us down rather than doing it themselves.

I really want McCall to let the team off the leish this time, none of the play it safe mentality here. If we get beat by really going at them then so be it, but give us the chance to have a right good crack at them!

Agreed. Just about every Rangers fan will tell you they're absolutely horrific at the back. Go at them and we will score goals.