Rangers V Motherwell

Bop

Re: Gaag's link...

Deleted the game without watching it back, don't buy papers and haven't been that inclined to listen/watch/read the post-mortem on official sources so that's the first quotes I've read that are attributed to McCall after the game.

Certainly not unreasonable - and the Rangers fan in work confirmed it was by some distance their best display of the season - but clearly something has gone far awry between being beware of what was coming, the preparation for such and the actual carrying out the instructions on the night.

McCall has his critics but in general given his record at Motherwell he clearly has more half an idea of what he's doing in terms of tactics, team selection etc. The players by achieving the relative successes they have illustrate they have something about them. Which put together lends further credence to the claims that their is a mental issue to be tackled here.

Time for a sports psychologist of the likes of Tom Lucas to be sought out?

That Rangers victory would have come as part of the meagre 28% victory percentage that he secured as our manager then, eh?

Gannon's football was easy on the eye, but he lost more games than he won as Motherwell manager, did he not?

When he signed he told us all it was a new philosophy, a long term project and that in building a young side we'd take some humpings

Jeez, look at the bigger picture, currently top of the league, good last two seasons with finals and semi finals thrown into it on one of the lowest budgets in the spl. Questioning McCall is absolutely nonsense.

In my opinion, we are crying out for a 'c**t' type player. Someone who doesn't care what fans, other players, the ref, etc thinks of them and is just a c**t. I don't mean someone like riordan - he is a ned c**t, I mean a professional c**t - someone like ian black, jim Goodwin, lee mcculloch, who will scream at a player for not pulling their weight, clatter an opponent if they get on their nerves and fears no one. Someone who the home fans love but the away fans hate. Someone like this in our team would be priceless but we don't have and haven't had anyone like this for a while.

So going back a few years and the fact we have lost quite a lot to Rangers and Celtic which is to be expected and the fact we have lost European Games to teams with 20 times our budget means that McCall is a poor manager?

Why not judge him on his performances against teams at a similar level? Which I am pretty sure will be excellent.

Wednesday was a terrible night for the club, but it was one game. If we finish second or third again this season with the small sqaud we have it will be another amazing achievement from McCall.

No he's not a poor manager because we've lost to Rangers and Celtic and against European sides, in fact, Stuart McCall has actually done a very good job for us since he's been here. Whatever anyone thinks of him, two top six finishes, a Cup Final and qualifying for Europe is a great achievement.

However I just don't think that as a football manager, Stuart McCall is particularly good. His tactics are predictable and very often ineffective and his attitude toward games against any side that is perceived to be bigger and better than us is dreadful.

Jeez, look at the bigger picture, currently top of the league, good last two seasons with finals and semi finals thrown into it on one of the lowest budgets in the spl. Questioning McCall is absolutely nonsense.

In my opinion, we are crying out for a 'c**t' type player. Someone who doesn't care what fans, other players, the ref, etc thinks of them and is just a c**t. I don't mean someone like riordan - he is a ned c**t, I mean a professional c**t - someone like ian black, jim Goodwin, lee mcculloch, who will scream at a player for not pulling their weight, clatter an opponent if they get on their nerves and fears no one. Someone who the home fans love but the away fans hate. Someone like this in our team would be priceless but we don't have and haven't had anyone like this for a while.

Scott Leitch. Lasley is nowhere near that class.

No he's not a poor manager because we've lost to Rangers and Celtic and against European sides, in fact, Stuart McCall has actually done a very good job for us since he's been here. Whatever anyone thinks of him, two top six finishes, a Cup Final and qualifying for Europe is a great achievement.

However I just don't think that as a football manager, Stuart McCall is particularly good. His tactics are predictable and very often ineffective and his attitude toward games against any side that is perceived to be bigger and better than us is dreadful.

:mellow:

It's not just games against Rangers that McCall falls short in, his record against Celtic isn't much better and our wee jaunt into Europe this season saw some embarrassingly inept and gutless displays too.

I'm not defending McCall or the team, they deserve every single bit of the criticism they're getting for Wednesday night's debacle, but this talk that the result and performance was down to McCall "lying down to Rangers" is utter nonsense. He's not 'lying down' he's just got a poor attitude to games like this, something which will be all too evident again tomorrow. He's also not a very good manager into the bargain.

I disagree with that, both legs of Pana game we aquitted ourselves well enough. There were avoidable goals that I don't think we should have lost but on the whole we played well against a better team. Result in the away leg was worse than it looked due to the team being knackered and vulnerable late on as we possibly naively still tried to push forward whenever we could to get a goal.

Home leg to Levante was I'll give you poor, away leg in itself was decent especially with some of the young lads flung together. I expected a proper doing and if the team on wednesday had shown the same character I reckon we'd be talking about a rather pleasant win rather than the clusterfuck of a performance we got.

Scott Leitch. Lasley is nowhere near that class.

Scott Leitch was average at best. Put his foot in well enough but gave the ball away all to easily with slack passing and horrendous hollywood types passes. All round Lasley is far better, that said a relatively prime Scott Leitch beside him would improve our midfield at the minute.

• Like 1

Starting to head off topic I know, but has there ever been a Motherwell manager who spent such short a time in post as big Jimbo did that is still able to create so much interest and divide the support almost THREE years after they left the club??

that's what happens when you put the mentally ill in charge of a football club.

• Like 2

I'm sorry .... did someone say that Jim Gannon is the best manager we've had in ten years?

I did read that correctly?

I assume said poster(s) weren't there when we got humped 6-1 at Ipox - a scoreline that flattered us that day.

Holy feck.

Gannon - good eye for a player, terrible (& alledged corrupt) manager.

• Like 1

Exactly what I was thinking. Are other clubs in the business of putting out statements when they play badly or lose a game that their fans half-expected to win?

No, but Motherwell are actively running campaigns and asking fans to get behind the club and even own part of the club so its not asking to much for some kind of response from the club as its obvious the fans were not happy. I know its very rare when Motherwell fans are happy, but this was not just another game.