Remember Well

SteelmaninOZ

Well done Motherwell FC for getting involved with this cause.

I am sure they are many fans who have loved ones suffering from this horrible disease.

Hope they have a great turnout at Fir Park on 7th October.

Full article here: http://www.motherwel...beautiful-game/

Remembering the beautiful game

RememberWellI28092012.jpg

North Lanarkshire Council, in association with Motherwell FC, Alzheimer's Scotland and NHS Lanarkshire is launching a free fun-filled 'Remember Well' football memories programme at Firpark Stadium on 7 October.

People with dementia may also remember their first game, favourite player, favourite goal and everyone loves to share those experiences.Fans attending 'Remember Well' will:

• Meet former Motherwell legends and have your picture taken with them around the stadium including in the first team dressing room, the dug out, by the pitch side or with some historic silverware;
  • Go on free stadium tours;
  • Watch historic footage from big games over the decades and hear from the players involved, and
  • Take part in competitions and games.

And for football trivia fans, a Quizball event, featuring questions from yesteryear and former playing legends is taking place at Firpark on Friday 28 September as part of the project and supporters are being invited along to be part of the audience.

"We are grateful to the Motherwell FC for this support, as well as Comic Relief for its financial support and Alzheimer Scotland who have all helped make this programme possible". There are an estimated 84,000 people with dementia in Scotland with around 4,400 people in North Lanarkshire affected by the condition and that number is only expected to increase in the coming years.

Leanne Dempster, Chief Executive of Motherwell Football Club said, Motherwell FC are determined to be Scotland's Premier Community Club. We believe in the power of football to reach, involve and inspire communities. We are delighted to be at the heart of the 'Remember Well' Football Memories Programme. We are a club with a proud 125 year history. It is an honor that these memories are being used to raise awareness and improve the lives of people with dementia.

• Like 4

* Edit - just spotted other post from Sept 29th*

From NLC site, this is ON for Sunday :

On 7 October 2012, in association with Motherwell Football Club, NHS Lanarkshire and Alzheimer's Scotland, we will be launching the 'remember well' football memories programme at Motherwell Football Club.

The programme is aimed at using our strong football heritage to improve the lives of people with dementia. Just like you, people with dementia remember their first game, favourite player, favourite goal and we all love to share those experiences.

So come along and:

• Meet former MFC legends
  • Bring your camera and have your picture taken with former players and around the stadium such as dressing room, in the dug out, pitch side and with some historic silverware
  • Go on free stadium tours
  • Watch historic film from big games over the decades and hear from the players involved
  • Take part in competitions and games

http://www.northlana...articleid=25774

Looking forward to this as well.

Not too much in the way I can take a long as most of my accumulations from over the years are boxed and stored up the old dears loft in Chapehall.

But sounds like it will be a good afternoon in prospect.

I went over for about three quarters of an hour before the scheduled photograph sessions were due to start so can't comment on that aspect.

Like Milo I was impressed with the turn-out. It was already busy when I got in and there was a constant stream of in-comers whilst I was there.

The archive had the potential to be something special with some of the items people were bringing along and should still be really good but with only one guy scanning stuff and it being limited to two items per person because of the number of people queuing with stuff, I can see a lot of treasures slipping through the net.

The stadium tours looked to be extremely popular my mate was in quite sharp and had to go on the second scheduled tour and by the time I had got a couple of items scanned the earliest available wasn't until 3 o'clock.

Ofcourse these are in a sense secondary issues as the main thing will have been securing new volunteers, some funding and awareness of what the day was all about, which I think will have been achieved with the strong turnout.

Yeah, I was there just after 1pm and got on the 2pm stadium tour...it was very busy by that time

Got nice photo with Sir Willie Of Pettigrew....:thumbup:

It was good, but it could have been organized a bit better IMO.......shame that the club did not put it up on the official web site (it was hidden away the the community section but did not give an actual date for the event :help: )

I thought they could have organised the stadium tours a bit better. There was a huge queue of people who thought it was the line to actually go on the tours, but you were supposed to give your name and get allocated a time slot apparently?

I waited in said line for 20 odd minutes then fucked off. Got a few items scanned in for the memorabilia thing, but I thought the event was terribly run if I'm being honest.

To be fair to those running it this was a free event ran by people giving up their time in aid of a good cause where it turned out there were more people than expected.

I'm quite sure if it was repeated or something similar was done in the future they'll have observed all the things that could have been better as well.

Most people seemed to enjoy it.

Over 500 people attended and I think this caught out the volunteers on duty. All for a good cause and if they gained any volunteers it will have been a success.

Whilst waiting to have some of my items scanned it was great to see all ages of fans with their own piece of history made available on the day. There was obviously duplication of some of the more recent items, but i was fortunate to see some memorabilia from the 30's, as well as reminders of my own early days supporting in the late 60's on.

The club might wish to take a leaf and organise something similar - seemed to be enough material to add up to a decent exhibition.