Motherwell Vs Dundee United Discussion Thread

David

Not going tonight as while I was waiting in the queue for match abandoned vouchers, I was told season ticket holders don't need one, so I left.

I have been busy and haven't had time to get to the ground to pick up a replacemnt (which I don't understand the need for really; there are other options), and to be honest haven't put in any effort to do so, because I'm pretty annoyed about it.

I think the reaction of Leanne Dempster was not what I would have liked. An apology and affirmation to do better next time is what I would have expected from any business in that situation. Instead we get told that we don't understand complicated things and not to complain. Many of the fans have complicated technical jobs and understand what it takes to carry out logistical tasks equalling (and sometimes far in excess of) what Motherwell need to do. (And as my mate put it, "What was the difference from the full time whistle except handing out vouchers?")

Anyway, I'm off to sulk in a corner. (and listen to the radio)

• Like 1

I think the reaction of Leanne Dempster was not what I would have liked. An apology and affirmation to do better next time is what I would have expected from any business in that situation. Instead we get told that we don't understand complicated things and not to complain. Many of the fans have complicated technical jobs and understand what it takes to carry out logistical tasks equalling (and sometimes far in excess of) what Motherwell need to do. (And as my mate put it, "What was the difference from the full time whistle except handing out vouchers?")

I take it your mate isn't one of the fans with a complicated job.

Thought we played well and were unlucky. Not a bad game of fitba and both teams were evenly matched. Their goal was a pretty fine heider.

In saying that our defensive record continues to be very poor and McCall's substitutions still baffle me at times.

Seen us play worse and win......but that is another negative result.

McCall should be concerned.

Thought we played well and were unlucky. Not a bad game of fitba and both teams were evenly matched. Their goal was a pretty fine heider.

In saying that our defensive record continues to be very poor and McCall's substitutions still baffle me at times.

Seen us play worse and win......but that is another negative result.

McCall should be concerned.

Our centre back partnership tonight was as poor as I've seen in a long time. Although we had most of the possession and chances I thought Dundee Utd were always likely to get a goal which meant we had to get one just to get a point.

I thought we played reasonably well middle to front but I blame McCall's tactical inflexibility for the defeat. We were absolutely crying out for a 4-4-2 tonight. Ojamaa is not a striker and Bob McHugh should have be on much earlier to give us a chance. Playing with just Higdon upfront made us predictable and made it a lot easier for Dundee Utd to defend.

Having said that we created enough chances to score tonight but if we'd had two out and out strikers on I strongly suspect we would have hit the back of the net.

I think if we play at the level we did tonight we should win against Dundee as I don't think they will be as defensively disciplined as Utd were tonight and they don't have a striker of the quality of Johnny Russell.

Disappointing but disappointment that can be tempered at the weekend.

• Like 1

Scunnered.com yet again.

Another home game we fail to find the net. We played well in patches but also at times our passing and decision making was awful. Why Lasley gave the ball away like he did for the Utd goal was beyond me. All he had to do was play it wide to Murphy and he tried to chip itdown the middle.

I was sitting thinking to myself its only a matter of time before Utd scored and at that point one good cross and good header and games done.

That brings me to crosses and set pieces. What the fuck do they work on at training, is it even part of McCalls curriculum. In the first half we put some decent balls in from corners and had no one attacking the ball, in the second half our corners were rank rotten full stop. Free kicks from dangerous positions where really really poor and Hately either couldnt beat the first man or played it too long. Crosses from open play where also really poor and we couldnt find a player.

Positives for me I thought Murphy first 55 mins looked really dangerous running at them, then we stopped giving him the ball, Ojamma also had a decent game was really unlucky not to score, his run and strike in the first half looked in all the way. McCall then takes him off???

I think McCalls tactics at home need a major re think as teams have us sussed completely. Not hard I gues, play 5 in the middle and close us down.

No way did we deserve to lose that but if you don't take one of the umpteen chances we had there's always a sting in the tail. Whenever a game looks like it might end goalless the other team always nick it. Final ball from us at times was fucking atrocious and substitutions continue to baffle. Ojamaa was really unlucky with both efforts that hit the woodwork.

Saturday at Perth has papered over the cracks though.5 defeats in the last 6 and only 1 win at Fir park all season is extremely worrying.

Failure to win on Saturday and I am officially hitting the panic button as I have pretty much lost all confidence in McCall.

:dash2: Just got home to this sh1te news

Our home record yet again is woeful and a complete mirror image to our away form.

That said it appears OJ hit the woodwork twice. What does he need to do to score. I have news for you. I am putting a ton on him scoring at the weekend. The guy must have walked under a ladder.

Sore one to take, but a win on Saturday and we are back in the mix with winnable games to come over the next month or so.

CROSSES THOUGH. We are weak defending them and conversely we need 500 to score 1 goal :wallbash:

Another woeful performance. Most of the possession but knew we weren't going to score. As soon as Ojaamma went off I was ready to leave, I wish I had. Can't believe I was discussing travel arrangements to Aberdeen before kick off. That'll be knocked on the head now as I'm refusing to waste anymore hard earned cash watchin that shite.

• Like 1

Scunnered.com yet again.

Another home game we fail to find the net. We played well in patches but also at times our passing and decision making was awful. Why Lasley gave the ball away like he did for the Utd goal was beyond me. All he had to do was play it wide to Murphy and he tried to chip itdown the middle.

I was sitting thinking to myself its only a matter of time before Utd scored and at that point one good cross and good header and games done.

That brings me to crosses and set pieces. What the fuck do they work on at training, is it even part of McCalls curriculum. In the first half we put some decent balls in from corners and had no one attacking the ball, in the second half our corners were rank rotten full stop. Free kicks from dangerous positions where really really poor and Hately either couldnt beat the first man or played it too long. Crosses from open play where also really poor and we couldnt find a player.

Positives for me I thought Murphy first 55 mins looked really dangerous running at them, then we stopped giving him the ball, Ojamma also had a decent game was really unlucky not to score, his run and strike in the first half looked in all the way. McCall then takes him off???

I think McCalls tactics at home need a major re think as teams have us sussed completely. Not hard I gues, play 5 in the middle and close us down.

He'd ran himself into the ground.

Basically we miss Jennings and Clancy. Last season we were just a bit more streetwise and harder to beat. We could easily have won both last two games at home on chances created. It is very frustrating but we did a lot right tonight but we are vulnerable at the back and not putting chances away to well at the moment.

Good performance. I thought we dominated the first half, but the midfield lost control in the second half.

Unlucky in front of goal all night, and just one of those games, all round, topped off with a sucker punch.

Can't help but laugh at the negativity, as on another night that could easily have been 3-1.

• Like 2

A hard one to take tonight. Not quite in the daylight robbery class but at the very least we should have come out of that with a point.

Thought it was an excellent first half performance that was only lacking a goal. We looked bright, lively and inventive throughout and only some less than clinical finishing and bad luck prevented us going in ahead. Not to forget Randy's two excellent saves but that really was all United had offered to that point.

Unfortunately we just didn't quite reach those heights in the second half, although there must have been three or four balls that went across the goal just begging to be put in.

In such situations you always fear the sucker punch. I thought they had a fifteen minute spell or so where they looked quite threatening and we rode our luck once or twice but even with Mackay-Steven and Skacel coming on, I actually thought we had weathered their storm, so it was even more frustrating that we concede when we've actually wrestled back control of the match.

I've seen us play worse and win, I'll say that. On another night with a shade more fortune and with some better finishing and United's goal would have been a mere consolation in a 3-1 or 4-1 win.

But two pretty decent performances on the back of a few that weren't so good and if we can hit the same standard as we did in the opening half tonight then we must be looking good to bounce back on Saturday.

Personally, i thought tonight was your stereotypical Motherwell performance for the past several home games. We get the ball into the final third and then are clueless. Higdon playing as a lone striker is the worst tactic at the moment. Higdon needs help and Ojamaa hasn't been doing it at all this season. Murphy has been quiet (exception of the weekend there) and Humphrey's deliveries into the box are wasteful. Hateley's hasnt been to great either whenever he is made to make a delivery into the box. The full passing it around outside the opposition box just gives teams like Hibs/Unt chance to get bodies into the box, thus making any ball in useless. We should either release a counter attack quicker or take more chances before they get bodies back, making any shot inevitable.

As the people around me were discussing, the team lacks guts. Ideally you want your captain to get stuck in and motivate the team. I have nothing bad against Lasley but hes too quiet and fancy for being a captain. You need a captain who is a role model and is willing to shout at the players, disciplining them when they are doing wrong on the park. The likes of Scott Leitch and Derek Adams were good midfielders that got stuck into the opponents and cried the team on. Only person in the team that is willing to get stuck into any team is Hutchinson or Cummings. When they win a challenge, they rally the fans and the players spurring them on into an attack. However Lasley is no where near that type of motivator.

No need to panic in the slightest. I'd say though that finishing outside the top 6 is a strong possibility. We will lose at least one player in January imo and our defense is leaking minimum one goal a game regardless of combination. Hopefully Saunders can come back and play very well in defense as he might need to play at CB.

Finishing out of the top 6 would be a massive blow financially. Especially as we seem to budget for that.

Aberdeen in the Cup is the big one for me. After the disaster of the League Cup we need a goid run in the Scottish to earn some cash.

Bottom six finish, and early League and Scottish Cup exits could have a pretty massive effect on our finances going into the 2013/14 season......and look how bare our squad is at the monent with number and quality. Could easily get much worse.

Nae danger of relegation though :wink:

• Like 1