Motherwell Vs Dundee United Discussion Thread

David

It's worth mentioning Humphrey was playing against Brian McLean at left back who is a centre half, or right back at best.

How many times did he get the better of him?

I said before last night that a minimum 3 point haul from this week was required. I stand by that but even then this is now turning in to as bad a run as I can remember for a long time. Saturday.is now a must must win and even then it also has be be springboard to a decent run as the season is already looking pretty wretched viewing.

5 defeats in last 6 games (including 3 home defeats in a row)

No goals scores in those defeats.

1 clean sheet all season (and that was opening game)

1 win at Fir Park all season.

Late, late goals conceded in 4 occasions (3 of them costing 5 points).

Ojaama isn't ready to play at this level, higdon let another game pass him by (5 in a row) and as mentioned humphrey was so bad he only got by brian mclean at left back once.

Not ready for this level :lol: he was the best player on the pitch, and could've had a couple of goals. And Humphrey was past his man at least 3 times and twice put the ball into a position where we should definitely have scored. Some people just see what they want to see.

Hateley is another one people just love to hate, he gets forward better than most fullbacks in the league and I don't remember him getting toasted.

• Like 4

Anyway from what I saw Las had a chance of a shot on edge of the box, elected once more not to shoot, Utd break up the park and score. Same old failings, I was actually in the middle of making that point when the cross went in towards Russell. We have chances to shoot we should take them cos our wee intricate passes around the box get us nowhere just now.

one of the reasons why I like Henrik - everyone else wants to pass the ball into the back of the net, he wants to be direct, taje on his man and get a shot away

if you dont shoot - you dont score!!

• Like 1

How many times did he get the better of him?

How many times was he really one on one? Every time he gets the ball, teams double up on him. Not just last night, its every game

He either needs to lay the ball back to someone (which he did loads last night) or the others players in the team need to stop playing the ball to his feet and play it in behind so he can use his pace that way

How many times was he really one on one? Every time he gets the ball, teams double up on him. Not just last night, its every game

He either needs to lay the ball back to someone (which he did loads last night) or the others players in the team need to stop playing the ball to his feet and play it in behind so he can use his pace that way

Spot on!

• Like 2

Why do we seemingly always (recently) run out of ideas and steam after 65-70 mins? It's a regular occurrence. And sure as shit Ojaama get's subbed first, then Humphrey second - nearly always for Daley/McHugh.

See just for once? Play a 4-3-1-2 with Murphy and Higdon up top and Ojaama just inside.

And please make a sub before the 79th min? I know we weren't losing at the time, but it sure as shit was on the cards as we started to tire out and fall apart.

Also? Our crossing is easily the most woeful in the SPL - truly shocking. Both from the crossers perspective and our positioning in the box for them.

Played really well in the first half yesterday, just need to start converting the chances. But we also need to sort that back four out - chronic. Our centre halves were awful, Cummins in particular.

Again, lots of positives about the first half, but oh so frustrating to see the same problems over and over and over again. McCall - go and give everyone elses opinion a try.. just for one half, see how you get on?

last night was another game at home where we never got a bit of luck in front of goal,but we really need to start taking our chances when were on top cause we don't look like keeping a clean sheet anytime soon.there's too many players going through the motions right now hopefully mccall has booted a few of them up the arse and we see a positive reaction on saturday.were due a rub of the green and i can see us giving somebody a real doing at fir park

Why do we seemingly always (recently) run out of ideas and steam after 65-70 mins? It's a regular occurrence. And sure as shit Ojaama get's subbed first, then Humphrey second - nearly always for Daley/McHugh.

See just for once? Play a 4-3-1-2 with Murphy and Higdon up top and Ojaama just inside.

And please make a sub before the 79th min? I know we weren't losing at the time, but it sure as shit was on the cards as we started to tire out and fall apart.

Also? Our crossing is easily the most woeful in the SPL - truly shocking. Both from the crossers perspective and our positioning in the box for them.

Played really well in the first half yesterday, just need to start converting the chances. But we also need to sort that back four out - chronic. Our centre halves were awful, Cummins in particular.

Again, lots of positives about the first half, but oh so frustrating to see the same problems over and over and over again. McCall - go and give everyone elses opinion a try.. just for one half, see how you get on?

Don't think our defence is watertight by any stretch of the imagination but I think that's a bit harsh on last night. Cummins was caught flat footed/ball watching for their goal, but other than that I can only recall one aimless punt as an obvious mistake he made. Don't think Ramsden did a great deal wrong but I don't think he is imposing enough to play centre half (Cues someone telling me Fabio Cannavaro was only 5'8") and don't know how often he's played there before joining us. Looks like he might be more effective at right back or in midfield.

I agree with some that Humphrey got 2 or 3 decent balls in last night that were begging to be tucked away , but over 90 mins that has regularly become the sum of his contribution , which is far from enough .

He is one of those players who , if he has some joy vs the full back early on , he thrives on the crowds reaction and positivity and goes on to rip them a new arse throughout the match .

However , if things go against him early doors , he falls out the game and offers little . Balls to feet are no good to him , close control and dribbling past men are not what he does got to be in behind for him to run onto using his one true strength of speed .

I am not a Humphrey hater , just got to play to his strengths , or have him on the bench as an impact player for last half hour , as at the moment I dont think he does enough to merit a starting slot every week . Would personally go with the latter option and move Murphy onto the right with Law out left and possibly Carswell in middle with Las giving a bit of balance to the midfield

• Like 2

I agree with some that Humphrey got 2 or 3 decent balls in last night that were begging to be tucked away , but over 90 mins that has regularly become the sum of his contribution , which is far from enough .

He is one of those players who , if he has some joy vs the full back early on , he thrives on the crowds reaction and positivity and goes on to rip them a new arse throughout the match .

However , if things go against him early doors , he falls out the game and offers little . Balls to feet are no good to him , close control and dribbling past men are not what he does got to be in behind for him to run onto using his one true strength of speed .

I am not a Humphrey hater , just got to play to his strengths , or have him on the bench as an impact player for last half hour , as at the moment I dont think he does enough to merit a starting slot every week . Would personally go with the latter option and move Murphy onto the right with Law out left and possibly Carswell in middle with Las giving a bit of balance to the midfield

Amen!

Agree with every word of that.

I know Omar Daley is a figure of fun on here, but I'd even consider starting him as a straight swap, he's had so few starts, I think it's unfair the criticism he gets based on 10 mins here and there, often in games we are struggling in.

The criticism Humphrey gets is way over the top. The guy isn't perfect and I know he made a few mistakes last night but he also worked his backside off and, in my opinion, created quite a number of very good chances for us - often despite having at least 2 men on him.

It's no wonder his head goes down sometimes...let's be realistic about the players we have and those we can (or can't) afford!

• Like 2

@linsey12 , don't know if your post is in direct reply to what I posted , but I don't think it was being overly critical of him , more a realistic appraisal of where he is at , at the minute .

As I said , play to his strengths and for many full backs in the SPL he becomes unplayable , continue in the same vein as we have been lately and his contribution and confidence will remain low .

I would be delighted to see him return to form , and a spell on the bench with a high impact introduction in the last half hour could be a good way of helping him get there imho .

Not a direct response to you at all. Just a response to the constant criticism of the guy...it's tiring me out so can't begin to think how he feels listening to it week in week out.

Just wish we would focus on getting behind the guys we've got - like it or not, they are pulling on the jersey and working hard for us...they're not perfect but they're ours!!

• Like 1

The criticism Humphrey gets is way over the top. The guy isn't perfect and I know he made a few mistakes last night but he also worked his backside off and, in my opinion, created quite a number of very good chances for us - often despite having at least 2 men on him.

It's no wonder his head goes down sometimes...let's be realistic about the players we have and those we can (or can't) afford!

This ^.. Exactly this ^

Don't think our defence is watertight by any stretch of the imagination but I think that's a bit harsh on last night. Cummins was caught flat footed/ball watching for their goal, but other than that I can only recall one aimless punt as an obvious mistake he made.

Only one aimless punt? You must have left early. The last 20minutes all he did was pick up the ball and employ the diagonal punt. Maybe Craigan and Quinn have been back giving him some coaching!

He didnt have his worst game in a 'well shirt, but he certainly still has some way to go to make a shirt his own.

Good game pish result, our frailties are being laid bare yes but the ammount of pissing and moaning from the panty wetting brigade is awful.

As SUPPORTERS we are supposed to SUPPORT the team but no this one is shit that one canny cross that one canny shoot if you want to watch a team with a better than average chance of winning the majority of their games then go support Sellik or Sevco.

Our frailties are apparent however they are what they are and not about to change soon, out with Sellik then pretty much every team in the league will drop points in a similar vein we have been spoiled recently and perhaps this is our reality check, mid table average SPL side.

If so fine its my team and I will continue to back them. wallbash.gif

• Like 3

Everyone may well be capable of beating everyone else but outwith Dundee no team has endured the run that we are currently on.

Dundee United went five without a goal and only two points. And when they were doing it they shipped four to Inverness, three to Hearts.

And whilst our run has been poor, the games we have lost have been to Hearts, Hibs, Dundee Utd and Celtic who should, crisis at Tynecastle excepting, finish as four of the top five.

I was confident we would win at Perth because we are better than the teams in the lesser order and I would always back this team to beat Dundee, Killie, St Mirren, St Johnstone, Ross County and even Inverness. And whilst I know we have had three draws against them they were all on the back of a Euro game.

We're not going to be top three or four this year - but we will be comfortably in the middle.

I can't believ Humphrey is getting criticism. I thought last night was one of his best game in a long time! Was very effective in getting the ball into danger areas.

And as for Higdon, why is it when Humphrey/Murphy/Ojamaa have a bad run people say they should get a spell on the bench (rightly so) but when Higgy has a bad run it's some sort of hate crime to suggest giving him a break?