Motherwell Vs Dundee United Discussion Thread

David

It is, but its hardly , enlightening on the shambles of the abandoned match

Or even the other disappointing silence on voting rights for the 'Well society

Club is doing well in many areas as highlighted, but how they respond to some business situations is bordering on ..........

Ps and the lack of clarity on many announcements leads to much of the over reaction from fans who do not know where they stand

I have requested info by e-mail on voting by e-mail 5 days ago as I am unable to attend but would support a couple of the nominees. To date no acknowledgement.

I am not generally critical and accept that things can go wrong sometimes, and accept the reasons given from Ms Dempster, however the lack of response is dissapointing.

Edit - noticed on Well Society or not thread that they are working on this at present.

It is, but its hardly , enlightening on the shambles of the abandoned match

Or even the other disappointing silence on voting rights for the 'Well society

Club is doing well in many areas as highlighted, but how they respond to some business situations is bordering on ..........

Ps and the lack of clarity on many announcements leads to much of the over reaction from fans who do not know where they stand

Its wasn't really for Flow to comment on the match abandoned though as Leeann has already addressed that issue. Some posters chose not to take her at face value but that's up to them.

You do raise a good point about the society however and it is one that should probably be answered, although potentially the reason for silence is that we are not going to like the answers provided??

The other points, are not exactly deal breakers though. It would seem that some posters expect the club to be run perfectly 100% of the time. Sadly that doesn't happen, and even if it did, you can't please everyone, all the time.

Really, people in general are just moaners, deep down, we all are. How many of us don't have a moan about goings on at work, or at least don't have colleagues who do? Even in the good times, you always find one or two miserable so and so's who are never happy. How many of us are members of golf clubs, bowling clubs, fishing clubs etc, and see the relevant Committee of Management get harangued from pillar to post, regardless of whether the club is actually being run well?

Football clubs possess a special place for each and every one of us supporters, which is probably why the feelings of outrage seem to get magnified. The internet and forums like this give us all a direct line to spout our gripes, and importantly, read other peoples, which are all too often half baked. That fuels the fire and leads to nonsense that you read day in day out on here, nonsense which can for the most part be labelled panty wetting.

I think your point about the lack of communication about the society does need to be addressed and taken separately from the day to day gripes. The daily moaners just need to calm down, take a look at what 'Flow posted and recognise the steps the club are taking.

• Like 1

I think 'Flows post is perfectly fair, but its an off-field version of the argument I had with him after the Ibrox debacle.

People are commenting on a failing of the board and he has pointed to other successes of the board to deflect from this failing. I would say that's a fair enough response given that someone had said they were losing faith in the board as a general point.

I personally am not losing faith with this board, despite this farcical occurrence. Plenty of good has been done by them, most of which 'Flow covered. Also our recent track record of appointing managers has been nothing short of brilliant which I think is worth mentioning as a positive in a debate of the boards performance.

Since we've moved on to a general overview, I would say the club is run well, with great strides made football-wise and media-wise as well as some truly ground-breaking initiatives taking us forward. However, there have been some decisions made I don't agree with and communication is still atrocious, despite the increased number of avenues available. It also seems to be a fairly disorganised place at times. 6/10 for me at the moment.

• Like 2

Farcical ticket arrangements as ever.

Leanne's attempt at an apology is utterly deplorable - is she suggesting at future matches we just don't acknowledge what stewards tell us? She is basically suggesting that if you are a customer of a business, you should be well versed in emergency procedures - don't think things quite work that way, if things went tits up when I was in Tesco, it's not my responsibility to know what to do.

Was pleased to see whilst queueing (possible sp) for tickets for the Levante game, instead of the age old busy procedure of one employee there to serve one customer at a time, there were two, although they continued still to serve one person at a time between them. facepalm.gif

This is my thoughts exactly.

I think 'Flows post is perfectly fair, but its an off-field version of the argument I had with him after the Ibrox debacle.

People are commenting on a failing of the board and he has pointed to other successes of the board to deflect from this failing. I would say that's a fair enough response given that someone had said they were losing faith in the board as a general point.

I personally am not losing faith with this board, despite this farcical occurrence. Plenty of good has been done by them, most of which 'Flow covered. Also our recent track record of appointing managers has been nothing short of brilliant which I think is worth mentioning as a positive in a debate of the boards performance.

Since we've moved on to a general overview, I would say the club is run well, with great strides made football-wise and media-wise as well as some truly ground-breaking initiatives taking us forward. However, there have been some decisions made I don't agree with and communication is still atrocious, despite the increased number of avenues available. It also seems to be a fairly disorganised place at times. 6/10 for me at the moment.

Agree with most of that!

Although the club appear to learn from their mistakes, as I'm sure they will from this one, a lot of them are avoidable in the 1st place.

There's not many businesses could treat their customers the way football clubs do, and still have any customers left 20 years later, but things have improved massively, and are still improving at Motherwell.

(that's quite a general point, the contempt you are treated with at some away grounds....)

So no-one else has this email then?

With reference to recent communications regarding the nominations for the Board of The Well Society, for those members who are unable to attend the meeting on Wednesday 24th October you have the opportunity to vote by proxy / email proxy.

I have attached once again the names of the nominees for your consideration. Please note that candidate 17, David Morrison (aka Pie), has withdrawn from the election.

If you would like to vote by e-mail, please advise me of the name and relevant number of the candidate you wish to vote for, no later than 5pm on Tuesday 23rd October to enable all votes to be counted.

All entries will be verified and included in the vote on Wednesday 24th October. Please note that if you vote by email/proxy and you decide to attend after all on the evening, you obviously will not be able to vote on the night.

With best regards

Alison Wallace

The Well Society

Motherwell Football Club

"This is your club, this is our revolution"

Bit suprised by that comment mate.

I am sure I'll get the usual 'toeing the party line' stuff, and that's fair enough if you think that.

'Flow

Nah, you'd never get that accusation from me Flow, in all honesty..I am a big believer in what you, the background team and (mostly) the board are all about.

The ticket thing just seems absolutely ridiculous - seemed an easy fix but the board made a hash of it (ultimately buck stops with them( and Leann then seemed to criticise fans for not being up on what procedures are. When we have suffered abandonments before (Hearts in the pishing rain in the Pat Nevin era springs to my old mind) and Hibs as recently as last year did we not just use a voucher from the end of the book? If that procedure has now changed and fans don't know then that comes down as a lack of communication from the board.

Main thrust of my disappointment, however, is the current transfer policy. We are a selling team - the board constantly reminds us of this - and I think mots of the sensible folk on here accept that any good player we have is gonna be waved goodbye to in the shorter term. It's our lifeblood. It's frustrating though when guys like Murphy, Law and - especially - Randolph aren't moved on at the peak of their transfer- fee potential to Motherwell and then McCall is subsequently have to slash his budget by 200 grand at the start of an important season. I do realise that there are many, many factors that go into a transfer and it can become a complicated maze but, nonetheless, the lack of sales for a selling club is a frustration (to me at least) when we need that money to survive. Was absolutely stunned when Randolph wasn't moved on. Great keepers are hard to come by and are therefore a high-priced commodity. Jesus, Craig Gordon went for 9 mill a few years back! Not saying we would have realised that amount for Randolph but I don't think a million or two would have been unreasonable given the Euro and International experience he has gained while with us. Instead, come January, he can sign with whoever he wants on a pre-season and move for free at the end of his contract, ditto with Law, and we end up getting hee-haw. Then, next season, McCall is forced to slash his budget again, likely. THAT is where the root of my frustration with the board lies - we should be actively looking to punt these guys at the height of their worth to us. If not, the board has to stop calling us a selling club.

I appreciate - and agree - with all the points you bring up in your post . The Motherwell of now compared to the Motherwell when I left Scotland is chalk and cheese in comparison and that is to the credit of the board, you and all the others who have worked so hard in what is clearly a labour of love - it's not lost on me the hours you put in, mate! But, the ticket debacle was SUCH an easy fix but was messed up and, for me, our transfer policy is holding this club back something fierce and that's mostly where my original comments came from, in frustration..

• Like 3

Some fair points Haggis, but specifically on the point of selling players on;

If a player - i.e Murphy - declines any potential transfer move then the club are pretty much blameless in that regard.

There is no guarantee that a player would wish to return to being a "squad" player compared to being a first pick at Motherwell either, Darren Randolph as far as I am aware was not a first team player prior to arriving at Fir Park so he may see his career best developed by staying here.

As you say though, the transfer process is very complex these days and I'm not sure that the club is the party with the most power these days to influence transfers they way they'd wish them to work.

Never mind WAS an easy fix Haggis it still could be, a little bit of common sense to say season tickets will be valid problem solved or is that just too simple?!?

Not now that tickets have been issued to season ticket holders, you potentially have people with a Match abandoned voucher and a ticket at the moment - add in the season ticket voucher and you could have two people getting "free" tickets who weren't at the intitial game, while it's only one at the moment.

Not now that tickets have been issued to season ticket holders, you potentially have people with a Match abandoned voucher and a ticket at the moment - add in the season ticket voucher and you could have two people getting "free" tickets who weren't at the intitial game, while it's only one at the moment.

Exactly so if it had been left alone there wouldn't be so much of a problem.

Wrong move on this occasion I have to say.

As of 5pm today though a match abandoned voucher has no monetary value.

90% + of the people who will go on a Wednesday night will have been there on the Saturday anyway.

Anybody who would take a freebie probably wouldn't have gone otherwise, so nobody really loses out.

I've just been told I need to go to Hull that week, so will miss the game. :-(

As of 5pm today though a match abandoned voucher has no monetary value.

90% + of the people who will go on a Wednesday night will have been there on the Saturday anyway.

Anybody who would take a freebie probably wouldn't have gone otherwise, so nobody really loses out.

I've just been told I need to go to Hull that week, so will miss the game. :-(

Pedantic maybe, but right up until the game that voucher potentially gets someone in for free as opposed to paying, so it does still have some value.

I do get your point, but the issue still remains that every "free" ticket out there represents someone who won't pay in who otherwise might have, so that has to be limited.

Main thrust of my disappointment, however, is the current transfer policy. We are a selling team - the board constantly reminds us of this - and I think mots of the sensible folk on here accept that any good player we have is gonna be waved goodbye to in the shorter term. It's our lifeblood. It's frustrating though when guys like Murphy, Law and - especially - Randolph aren't moved on at the peak of their transfer- fee potential to Motherwell and then McCall is subsequently have to slash his budget by 200 grand at the start of an important season. I do realise that there are many, many factors that go into a transfer and it can become a complicated maze but, nonetheless, the lack of sales for a selling club is a frustration (to me at least) when we need that money to survive. Was absolutely stunned when Randolph wasn't moved on.

While I agree with some of the points you raised, how exactly can MFC sell a player "at the peak of their transfer fee potential" if no-one makes an acceptable bid for the player?

It's been well documented that no-one has even enquired about Darren Randolph. Piss poor bids for Law & Hutchinson were quite rightly booted out, and the board were praised for this.

The only one we accepted was for Jamie Murphy, and the board can't do anything if the player doesn't want to go.

It baffles me that some people think we can just sell a player for £1m because we need the cash. No buyer = no sale.

• Like 3

Club aint really thought this one through have they.....

Its only gona be the core Motherwell and Dundee Utd fans who will be at this match, as am 100% sure any neutral thinkin about going will realise they could just sit in the hoose and watch the Celtic-Barcelona game dry.gif

So we aint gona loose that much £, as thats obviously what there thinkin.

Scott w, last 2 posts kind of sum up what I meant, anybody who would pay would have more often than not have gone on the Saturday.

Your casual punter is unlikely to come along to this game even with a free ticket, and even if they did it would only be because it was free.

What a long thread about nothing much really. I'm a season ticket holder in the POD who missed the first game and was hoping to make the rearranged match but discovered a pesky brain tumour had reappeared, guess what day the surgery is? Aye, the 7th, bugger. So, for everybody moaning on here, just remember it could be worse. Oh, updates from the usual suspects would be appreciated

What a long thread about nothing much really. I'm a season ticket holder in the POD who missed the first game and was hoping to make the rearranged match but discovered a pesky brain tumour had reappeared, guess what day the surgery is? Aye, the 7th, bugger. So, for everybody moaning on here, just remember it could be worse. Oh, updates from the usual suspects would be appreciated

It could be worse, you could be going to Hull.

Kidding aside, all the best.

Scott w, last 2 posts kind of sum up what I meant, anybody who would pay would have more often than not have gone on the Saturday.

Your casual punter is unlikely to come along to this game even with a free ticket, and even if they did it would only be because it was free.

Can I just clarify that I have absolutely no issue with an increased attendance due to "free" tickets or otherwise.

I was merely pointing out why I don't think the club can now implement your suggestion, or rather why I think they won't.

In short, I am not disagreeing with you per se!!

Miff; all the best big man - as you say it puts things into perspective.

Best of luck to you mate.