Fir Park : Is It Time To Move

Spiderpig

Return the East Stand to a terracing, if the SPL give it the go ahead. Use the Main Stand for Directors, and officials only, as well as dressing rooms etc. anybody who wants to sit, can do so from the DC and the remainder can stand in the shed.

This simply wouldn't work and would damage the club's finances to boot eg through reduced season tickets sales and revenues. Doubtful if you could accommodate all those who currently sit in 3 stands and want to continue sitting in the Cooper Stand alone. There are many like myself who don't like sitting at an end. Standing isn't really an option just now anyway.

You can't really get away from the 2 options of redeveloping Fir Park and moving and the former isn't feasible. The clock is ticking and the club must take a clear decision.

Would we need all the money out right though up front? Can you not get like a mortgage, but for football clubs? Or is that being too simplistic?

A Club that has previously been in administration and operates on the bread line is very unlikely to get any substantial finance from an institution in the current climate.

Have a wee look at this site: http://www.sportmapworld.com/team/soccer/scotland/motherwell/

they even have a poll on Fir Park Stadium and a nice pic of the area: East Stand and the space behind looks to me that we would lose a five a side pitch and the car park at the school that could be incorporated in the rebuilding of the East Stand.

Doubtful if you could accommodate all those who currently sit in 3 stands and want to continue sitting in the Cooper Stand alone. There are many like myself who don't like sitting at an end. Standing isn't really an option just now anyway.

Why can we not incorporate home fans in the South Stand? there is plenty of space

Would you not consider moving into the main stand if the East Stand was done away with?

As long as there's filled in corners I'll be happy

Why do the corners need filled in? Personal preference? do you just think it looks better?

I'd be pretty chuffed with a well version of livis ground and that's the best we could hope for

I must be in the minority of one. I hate the large concourse at the front accessing the seats at Livi's ground. I much prefer an access similar to the Cooper or South stand.

Think you can lose a lot of atmosphere with big gaps in the corners, like rugby park for example.

Why didn't you use Fir Park as the example?

Why didn't you use Fir Park as the example?

Maybe it seems worse behind the goals? But the big gaps in all 4 corners of rugby park make it soulless, and freezing cold in winter!

The corners at the cooper end aren't too open, it's obviously a bit open at the other end though.

May be a daft notion, but if we were to move would we not be able to save a bit of cash by recycling elements of Fir Park? The seating in the Cooper and the South stand for example, pipes from our newly-laid undersoil heating, Furniture/tv's/computers etc from offices and suites already in place. Wouldn't save a fortune but would certainly give us a head start.

As much as I agree there are parts of Fir Park that leave a lot to be desired, st least two - fair enough, just two - of our stands are on the face of it in far better nick than anything previously seen at the likes of St Mirren, Killie, St Johnstone, Accies, Falkirk etc before they rebuilt. We are also fairly fortunate that we have a sight on our doorstep such as Ravenscraig that will be fully redeveloped, albeit a bit later than originally planned. In my opinion it would be short-sighted not to try and get a slice of the action and get a prime site before the price begins to creep up.

Obviously there are two main factors here. One: selling the Fir Park land and two: getting enough dosh in advance to start building a new one. There are only those in the know at the club who will truly be able to give any sort of indication how far fetched both of these are, but I'm sure a plan is already in place to try and look into sourcing revenue to get the project off the ground as it is something the club were looking at in the past.

May be a daft notion, but if we were to move would we not be able to save a bit of cash by recycling elements of Fir Park? The seating in the Cooper and the South stand for example, pipes from our newly-laid undersoil heating, Furniture/tv's/computers etc from offices and suites already in place. Wouldn't save a fortune but would certainly give us a head start.

As much as I agree there are parts of Fir Park that leave a lot to be desired, st least two - fair enough, just two - of our stands are on the face of it in far better nick than anything previously seen at the likes of St Mirren, Killie, St Johnstone, Accies, Falkirk etc before they rebuilt. We are also fairly fortunate that we have a sight on our doorstep such as Ravenscraig that will be fully redeveloped, albeit a bit later than originally planned. In my opinion it would be short-sighted not to try and get a slice of the action and get a prime site before the price begins to creep up.

Obviously there are two main factors here. One: selling the Fir Park land and two: getting enough dosh in advance to start building a new one. There are only those in the know at the club who will truly be able to give any sort of indication how far fetched both of these are, but I'm sure a plan is already in place to try and look into sourcing revenue to get the project off the ground as it is something the club were looking at in the past.

If we're looking at relocating and trying to keep costs down why not just move both the Cooper and South stands en masse and build two curved terracings using what seats/roofing etc that could be salvaged from the East stand meeting at each end forming a bowl of sorts.Alter the South stand to be similar in height to the Cooper

You could either do it with both stands mirroring each other at the half way line and build a new curved terracing running behind both goals This would keep the current POD punters happy and give the Cooper punters a better view than they currently have. Alternatively one could go behind each goal and the terracing running both lengths of the park but current POD punters wouldn't probably go for that. Either way home and away fans would be easily segregated. Think that kind of set up could look pretty smart

Don't know if the cost of dismantling/ transporting/alterations/extra materials and rebuilding would maybe outweigh the cost of just building from scratch though.

I,m obviously watching to much of Le Salvager on the Discovery Channel dash2.gif

I have been going to fir park for years and would hate us to leave for a ikea built stadium like st mirren but I would be happy for us to move to a stadium like Aalesunds fk's Color Line Stadion, but we simply do not have the money and the council will certainly not be willing to lend Motherwell Fc millions of pounds to build a stadium that would be half fill most games, when there is an all time high in unemployment especially youth and there are people living in this constituency that are living below the breadline.However IF ALOT of people/companies are willing to make donations I am sure we can put them into a savings account like and let the interest increase the value of the savings until we have no choice but to leave or redevelop in so many years time and this money would help a wee bit in the money situation.

I have been going to fir park for years and would hate us to leave for a ikea built stadium like st mirren but I would be happy for us to move to a stadium like Aalesunds fk's Color Line Stadion, but we simply do not have the money and the council will certainly not be willing to lend Motherwell Fc millions of pounds to build a stadium that would be half fill most games, when there is an all time high in unemployment especially youth and there are people living in this constituency that are living below the breadline.However IF ALOT of people/companies are willing to make donations I am sure we can put them into a savings account like and let the interest increase the value of the savings until we have no choice but to leave or redevelop in so many years time and this money would help a wee bit in the money situation.

I am sure we can put them into a savings account like and let the interest increase the value of the savings -

The Bank of England base rate is 0.5% and has been for ages, not really the best option.

The club need to look at all avenues of funding and if that means the stadium is called Cash Converters Arena then so be, does it really matter what is called so long as its fit for purpose.

Almost every club who has moved Stadium have nearly went out of business and as a result have been relegated, I use Livingston, Airdrie as the main example, If St Mirren got relegated I would fear for them too, if we redevelop I understand the finance would also potentially cripple us so it is really no win either way, we just need to hope when the decision is made we are managed well.

I would hope if the club moved away from Fir Park the fans would have some input into the design/layout of any new ground.

Almost every club who has moved Stadium have nearly went out of business and as a result have been relegated, I use Livingston, Airdrie as the main example, If St Mirren got relegated I would fear for them too, if we redevelop I understand the finance would also potentially cripple us so it is really no win either way, we just need to hope when the decision is made we are managed well.

I would hope if the club moved away from Fir Park the fans would have some input into the design/layout of any new ground.

Pretty sure St.Mirren wiped out all their debt when they moved stadium. Tesco gave them 15m if I remember correct so that they could build on the site, this cleared their debts and helped pay for their new stadium and a training ground for them.

Sadly I can't see anyone handing us that sort of money to build on Fir Park.

IMO we are fucked cos our chance has gone with the collapse of the economy.

That said I'm not fussed as I love Fir Park and would hate to move to a soulless breeze block flat pack monstrosity on a windswept wasteland.

Cos that is precisely what we'll get if we ever have to move.

If there is any chance of staying at Fir Park that is my preferred option 100 times out of 99 so we should find a way to do that. Can't see us getting anywhere near the kind of money required to build anew. And that suits me just fine. :thumbup:

• Like 2

Pretty sure St.Mirren wiped out all their debt when they moved stadium. Tesco gave them 15m if I remember correct so that they could build on the site, this cleared their debts and helped pay for their new stadium and a training ground for them.

Sadly I can't see anyone handing us that sort of money to build on Fir Park.

Tesco again... Motherwell needs some decent competition for those Asda bastards!