Motherwell V Hibs

santheman

Had time to reflect.

No hiding we have some defensive problems just now. Forget the last goal the game was gone but the first goal was slack and the situation for the first penalty award saw us badly exposed. Defence been chopped and changed to often, usually forced I accept but between that and less protection from the midfield than last season we are fragile at the back.

However 3 huge decisions in one game are enough to sink most teams. We played not to badly for most of the game last night, created chances and on another night could have been in the driving seat long before the officials stuck the knife in.

I honestly believe O'Reilly has it in for us, man should be sacked. A normally reliable source assures me he has given 10 penalties against us in 9 games starting from the Jennings game. That decision itself was so bad it looked corrupt, at the very least any official in the stand marking his performance last night should be making sure he is swiftly demoted.

We also need goals to come from someone other than Higdon, a fine line between hero and villain and last night missing the pen and another earlier chance proved costly. Wouldn't dream of dropping him I know another he will get back in the goals, but he needs Murphy, Ojamma, Law and Humphrey chipping in.

This league is pretty tight. I don't think any of our rivals for 2nd place really have the quality and depth of squad to run away with it but we need to dust ourselves down and pick up a couple of wins soon to make sure we don't fall away. With a good few contracts due to run down I'll be concerned a good opportunity to finish in europe again might slip away by January and board might feel need to cash in on fairly poor deals for us to cover shortfall in revenue.

So why, if you believe it, does O'Reilly have it in for Motherwell? Why us?

I only believe he is incompetent. Nothing more to it.

It is a feeling. For one thing his bad decisions in our matches only seem to go one way. Sure he has probably given us a few free kicks or decisions that were soft down to basic mistakes but when I watch games he is in charge of involving us I see the same thing time and again. Bad, nigh on inexplicable decisions against us. Last night we had three, although linesman is more culpable for one of them.

It isn't that important in the end whether he deliberately out to stick the knife in or whether he makes continual calamitous errors. I only wish to see him never ref at the top level again.

As to why, who can say. Maybe deep down he is a bitter fan of another club and holds an axe to grind over some perceived injustice, someone at the club slighted him, maybe he gets a thrill out of fucking us over after fan reaction from the Jennings game. Who can say except the man himself and I doubt he'd ever admit to any such bias. Like I say it not that important but one way or another he should never referee at the top level again, corrupt or out of his depth in the extreme.

• Like 1

Regardless of what he has done I really fail to believe the guy starts out a game with us thinking how he is going to screw us out of three points. If found guilty he potentially could be in the jail. For what? To screw us out of a win?

That would be some grudge? The guy is just totally incompetent. Shite at his job. Nothing else.

Haven't seen it on the tv but if the Ref had it in for us, he could have sent off Higdon.

Just what I was thinking. Didn't even book him for that early tackle did he?

Pulled Higgy up for Just about everything booked him for persistent fouling gave almost nothing in his favour 2nd half Higgy gave him no reason to send him off I think perhaps that contributed he had the players concerned about making any kind of tackle in fear of giving away a free kick and/or being booked.

Psychological warfare whistling.gif

• Like 2

1351356550[/url]' post='365437']

Just what I was thinking. Didn't even book him for that early tackle did he?

He did book higdon for a foul on someone, not for the 50/50 early on though. For what it's worth, I think he is just an awful referee. I admit, for the most part it does look like he is bias against us but I know fans of other teams who think the same.

He is a terrible, incompetent referee who ruins football matches. Should never have been able to ref at this level, never mind carry on doing so.

McCall will not be here beyond the summer. The sooner we can start building for the future the better. First though, I'd like to see some leadership from the Boardoom as the club lacks direction at the moment.

Spot on Lobey. I think that this is a major problem for the club at present and one that has not been picked-up on. Whilst fan ownership is very laudable I'm afraid management by committee never works because there is nobody in the leadership role. Another aspect that is hitting us hard too is a lack of cash for being able to get in a couple of better players than we presently have. This would stop the complacency that I think has crept in as a result of our having quite a small first team squad.

Problem is pretty much a loss of intensity.

We had loads of great possession last night but had no real intensity or incisive edge.

Hibs like several other teams this season showed us that a real focused intensity to shut us down and a lack of fear to pull the trigger in the last third gets a result. They shut us down like fuck and threw everything at us in their 18yard box to stop us scoring. Realistically we should have been 4 up at half time quite easily.

We're still on the back foot to often in the last third. How many times have you seen a ball passed forward with no one running on because we didn't foresee the pass coming off. Nae belief.

Oh and for fuck sake give Carswell a wee run

Just getting around to posting about the game, but I'm still a bit unsure what to make of it.

When you've lost 4-0 it sounds like you are pushing your luck coming away with hard luck stories but I would say never in a million years were there four goals between the teams going by the balance of play. Up until it went 3-0 if anything we were the dominant team, more so in the second half admittedly. But after that third goal things quickly degenerated.

The first goal from Hibs was a good strike but how much room and time was he given to produce it!

I've only seen pictures on folks mobiles at the game but it seems like we were hard done by with the header. Wasn't clear from my vantage point but the evidence suggests the officials got it wrong. That's your first game changing moment.

Hibs first penalty - again not a great view so I don't know how much was Randolph's challenge, if he has in fact made a challenge at all but he's not one that's prone to rashness. Very edge of the box, away from the goal, I just don't see him lunging in. Game changing moment number two.

A wee bit surprised we got the penalty. Certainly McPake clearly had both arms around Higdon but the challenge was little different from plenty that O'Reilly had allowed previously. It was no wonder McPake was nipping away at him although if I mind rightly he wasn't booked whilst Daley was later booked for dissent. Higgy's spot-kick unfortunately was in keeping with his efforts on goal in recent games. That was your game changer number three.

And lastly we had Hibs second penalty which seemed soft and contestable whether it was even inside the box or not.

If we had got level at 1-1 or even back into it at 2-1 there's plenty recent evidence of us making a fist of it against Hibs trying to come from behind so who knows what might have transpired then. Certainly not a defeat by a four goal margin I'd wager.

I'd personally have preferred Carswell in at the start and Law out wide in place of Murph, but thinking on it, we were only one player (Kerr in for Hutch) different to the side that played pretty well against Panathinaikos at the start of the season so I can see why McCall may well have had faith in that line up.

With only six points between second and eleventh the league table offers as much hope as it does despair, although it doesn't seem particularly nice viewing given where we are now.

I only hope we can get a shot of confidence from somewhere or a break - although you might argue we had that with the penalty we got last night soon and lift the gloom a bit.

Pulled Higgy up for Just about everything booked him for persistent fouling gave almost nothing in his favour 2nd half Higgy gave him no reason to send him off I think perhaps that contributed he had the players concerned about making any kind of tackle in fear of giving away a free kick and/or being booked.

Psychological warfare whistling.gif

Spot on - he whistled higdon out of the game very early.

A very disheartening outcome last night and highly unsatisfactory. Plenty has already been written about O'Reilly's performance, which had a huge influence on the outcome of the game. 4-0 was not a true reflection and I think 1-0 to Hibs would have been a fairer result. Hopefully we will complain to the authorities about him, but I doubt if it would achieve much.

However, his performance and that of his colleagues should not disguise the fact that we played poorly and were the architects of our own downfall. To be accurate though we did play well in spells. On paper the midfield looked lightweight with too many lads being played out of position as has already been said. Despite all our pressure though we only managed 3 efforts on target, one of which should have been a goal. Once again our build up was far too elaborate and pedestrian. Hibs could achieve in 3 passes what we took 33 to do, if at all.

In particular the midfield is all wrong with Keith Lasley struggling, not surprisingly. At 32 he is now showing his age without the benefit of Steve Jennings beside him. The defence is a shambles and has been for most of the season. In particular, central defence is anything but steady. Certainly we've had injuries and suspensions and inexperience is a problem. Is it fair to ask Fraser Kerr, at 17 I believe, to do a mans job? Perhaps he has to be selected for a certain amount of game time as part of his deal (not uncommon with loans I believe).

Substitutions last night too were baffling, and it was unfortunately predictable that Ojamaa would be hooked.

We are suffering from a lack of leadership on the park and its was worrying last night just how easily our heads went down.

A large part of the problem is that mistakes were made during the summer in bringing in players. It should have been known months ago how inexperienced our central defence would be and how badly Steve Jennings would be missed. If we finish in the bottom 6 say in 8th place that could cost us £400k or thereabouts in decreased income and deferred SPL payments in February/March. We could have considerably spent less than that in bringing in 2 experienced players.

A question for all those stattos out there that has been bugging me. I can't remember O,Neill doing us any favours in ANY games since the infamous Jennogate game. Does anyone know how many games he has officiated at since then and what our record is in terms of wins/draws/defeats with him in charge.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid and those stats might prove me wrong but I'm convinced this guy has it in for us in much the same way Lennon was saying the same last season about certain referees and getting slaughtered for it.

I'm looking at that team last night when we went 2 down and thinking to myself that we don't have any leadership or character to come back but then I think back to the St Johnstone game when we went down to 10 men and rolled our sleeves up and got in about them so I know it is there somewhere. Have we just lost it because players have become complacent and are suffering a loss of confidence or have the other teams got wise to us. I wish to fuck I knew and more importantly I hope to fuck McCall knows and can sort things out

That's my main concern with regards to Kerr......we have to select him for x amount of games to meet the deals of the loan. I hope that is not the case.

i doubt that very much.

i think the fact that his club sent him up to us for the full of preseason before we decided to take him on loan that he is on his way out birmingham at the end of his deal.

he played because he did ok at tynecastle and cummins had one of the worst games ever in his last outing.

A question for all those stattos out there that has been bugging me. I can't remember O,Neill doing us any favours in ANY games since the infamous Jennogate game. Does anyone know how many games he has officiated at since then and what our record is in terms of wins/draws/defeats with him in charge.

Sorry! Your theory doesn't stack up.

Since Jennogate O'Reilly has officiated 9 Motherwell matches.

Hamilton 0-0

Kilmarnock 0-1

Dundee Utd 2-1

Hearts 1-0

Dundee Utd 1-1

Hibs 1-1

Celtic 0-3

Inverness 4-1

Hibs 0-4

So I make that Played 9 Won 3 Drawn 3 Lost 3. Can't get much fairer than that!

Surely officiating stats is more important than the win, lose, draw colounm says depending on a referees performance. For example, questionable yellow and red cards, penalties for and again, penalties that were but not given, etc. etc.

For the record I don't think he is bias, just totally inept. Not nice to ask for people being sacked and that but if I was as bad at a job I did, I certainly wouldn't be asked to do another one (taking the Assistant with him)...

Sorry! Your theory doesn't stack up.

Since Jennogate O'Reilly has officiated 9 Motherwell matches.

Hamilton 0-0

Kilmarnock 0-1

Dundee Utd 2-1

Hearts 1-0

Dundee Utd 1-1

Hibs 1-1

Celtic 0-3

Inverness 4-1

Hibs 0-4

So I make that Played 9 Won 3 Drawn 3 Lost 3. Can't get much fairer than that!

He's not playing for us so can't fathom how results make the slightest difference. He is fucking gash and deserves demoted and if he isn't biased against us then he's that bad I'd be calling for the head of the guy who promoted him in the first place. Incapable of handling even routine SPL matches on the evidence I've seen.

• Like 3