Aberdeen V Motherwell

Davie boy

I realise I'll be in the vast minority but, living and working in the city, this game means more to me than our League Cup tie against Sevco.

There's none more arrogantly deluded than a Dons fan.

and where you work you will have to face them win or lose......anyway get a big poster sized team photo up on the wall....:evilgrin:

3 nil the Well :yahoo:

For the second time in two seasons Aberdeen will shatter our cup hopes. They are a formidable side on their day and we tend to struggle against SPL sides in the Cup, especially at this early stage in the tournament.

2-0 Aberdeen and four cup exits at the first hurdle before Christmas for us.

I would argue that WE are a formidable side on our day, and we have a cracking record up their. In fact the last manager to record a win against Motherwell celebrated it with a 10 minute fake tan. Add that to our away record this season and our improved form I am going to predict a Motherwell win.

I suppose you forgot about the POSITIVE stats that point to a Motherwell win?

See your opening sentence by the way? You say that about lower league opposition too. Have we ever won a cup game?

I suppose you forgot about the POSITIVE stats that point to a Motherwell win?

The positive stats pointed to a Motherwell win in last season's Quarter Final with Aberdeen aswell and look how that turned out. Maybe it's just the pessimist in me but whenever we draw an SPL side in the Cup, particularly at this round and particularly one that has been playing well this season then I just can't see past a defeat.

Hopefully we'll get through this one because I love the Cup competitions and want to see us going all the way and winning it more than anything, but this draw is an absolute stinker for us and I reckon we'll be going into the second half of the season already out of four cups and with the excitement of the Scottish Cup already gone.

The positive stats pointed to a Motherwell win in last season's Quarter Final with Aberdeen aswell and look how that turned out. Maybe it's just the pessimist in me but whenever we draw an SPL side in the Cup, particularly at this round and particularly one that has been playing well this season then I just can't see past a defeat.

Hopefully we'll get through this one because I love the Cup competitions and want to see us going all the way and winning it more than anything, but this draw is an absolute stinker for us and I reckon we'll be going into the second half of the season already out of four cups and with the excitement of the Scottish Cup already gone.

It's impossible to take you seriously, how can you think we are going to lose every single game?

We are probably about 50/50 against SPL sides in the cups, we got to the final 2 years ago, beating SPL sides on the way.

I didn't say I think we're going to lose every game, I don't think that. I was talking about tomorrow's game in isolation.

I would agree with us being about 50/50 in these types of games on paper at least, but I just don't fancy us tomorrow because as I've said, we tend to struggle in these types of games against SPL sides, particularly in the early rounds of the Cups, and also Aberdeen are a good, solid side and I just fancy them to get the better of us tomorrow. It's a guess I'm making, same as anyone else making predictions on this thread but my guess is no more or less valid than anyone who predicts us to go up there and win.

And yes, we got to the final two years ago, beating SPL sides on the way, but that was the exception, rather than the rule and history fully supports that view.

I don't ever remember you forecasting a Motherwell victory, I always presume you are a caricature; as to an optimist like myself, it doesn't compute to be as pessimistic as you come across, hence why I don't take your opinion seriously.

All form and recent history suggests a draw or Motherwell victory.

I'm going 1-1 or 3-1 to us.

I don't mind that you're just pessimistic but you're using piss poor stats to back it up when most of the stats actually back up a Motherwell win. You're clutching at straws to justify yourself. You've no need by the way, just say "I have a feeling (again) that we will get pumped."

In the Morton thread last season you predicted a Motherwell defeat because we always do poorly against lower league opposition and we pumped them. Do you actually know we got to a final and a semi final 2 seasons ago? We have also been in a few quarter finals. So which is it then, do we struggle to get through Premier League oppisition or is it Lower League opposition? We must have beat somebody in the cup in recent years.

Half the teams go out in the first round! *

So if you go through more than 50% of the time, you're in the minority and doing well.

(*that stat isn't 100% accurate in this instance because its the 4th round and loads of teams went out already, but hopefully the point gets across)

I don't mind that you're just pessimistic but you're using piss poor stats to back it up when most of the stats actually back up a Motherwell win. You're clutching at straws to justify yourself. You've no need by the way, just say "I have a feeling (again) that we will get pumped."

In the Morton thread last season you predicted a Motherwell defeat because we always do poorly against lower league opposition and we pumped them. Do you actually know we got to a final and a semi final 2 seasons ago? We have also been in a few quarter finals. So which is it then, do we struggle to get through Premier League oppisition or is it Lower League opposition? We must have beat somebody in the cup in recent years.

I'm sorry I don't see what stats I used actually back up a Motherwell win.

Anyway you're right in saying there is no need to use stats, because at the end of the day stats don't win or lose games for you. I think we'll go out in this round, most likely with a defeat tomorrow but even if we got a replay at Fir Park, I still think they'd beat us because I just don't see us progressing through this tie.

So there you have it.

Aberdeen have 2 full midfield's out. Aberdeen aren't anywhere near good enough to cope with that particular injury list. Keeping Magennis quiet will be our most important job on Saturday in relation to stopping them scoring.

I really fancy us to hand a bit of a doing to our beloved hosts on Saturday.

Anyway you're right in saying there is no need to use stats, because at the end of the day stats don't win or lose games for you. I think we'll go out in this round, most likely with a defeat tomorrow but even if we got a replay at Fir Park, I still think they'd beat us because I just don't see us progressing through this tie.

So there you have it.

That's my point you didn't use any stats just the feable ones like "we always struggle against SPL sides in the cup" and that "Aberdeen are a formidable side on their day". Well recent history shows that we are more formidable.

Anyway it's good to see you sidestepped my question. You'd make a good Prime Minister one day.

Anyway I will ask again. So which is it then, do we struggle to get through Premier League opposition or is it Lower League opposition? We must have beat somebody in the cup in recent years.

That's my point you didn't use any stats just the feable ones like "we always struggle against SPL sides in the cup" and that "Aberdeen are a formidable side on their day". Well recent history shows that we are more formidable.

Anyway it's good to see you sidestepped my question. You'd make a good Prime Minister one day.

Anyway I will ask again. So which is it then, do we struggle to get through Premier League opposition or is it Lower League opposition? We must have beat somebody in the cup in recent years.

Both.

There is a difference between 'struggling' against certain opposition and never beating them, as you seem to be implying that I say on here. We do struggle against SPL opposition in the Cup, as Aberdeen last season, Kilmarnock, St.Mirren, Celtic, Dundee Utd over the years have shown, we also struggle against lower league opposition aswell, St.Mirren, St.Johnstone, Dumbarton Inverness (twice), & Dundee when they were in the first division. At no point did I say that we never win any of these games.

Anyway, that's all I'm going to say on the matter in this thread because I don't want to take it off topic.

Aberdeen have 2 full midfield's out. Aberdeen aren't anywhere near good enough to cope with that particular injury list. Keeping Magennis quiet will be our most important job on Saturday in relation to stopping them scoring.

I really fancy us to hand a bit of a doing to our beloved hosts on Saturday.

If that actually comes to pass. Remember we had a team full of flu before we dished out a 5-1 thrashing to ICT.

I still suspect Rae, Fraser and Hayes will be in their line up tomorrow. If they are not then we should be favourites.

Looking forward to heading up tomorrow. The cup is always special and a good atmosphere. Hope we take a decent crowd to support the boys after their recent good away performances

So there you have it.

In the last 5 years, which has arguably been our most successful and consistent since 1992-93, what proportion of games would you say you have predicted us to lose in? Then contrast that with how we have actually done.

Once you have finished that task, feel free to get the fishing rod back out.

Aberdeen hadn't lost a home match this season until their last two. Is that just a blip (one was against Celtic) or a decline in form?

Hard to say but Aberdeen draw a lot at home and it wouldn't surprise me if that's what happened on Saturday.

Hopefully we get some kind of result. It's going to be a massive downer on our season if we are out of both cups before the new year has turned.

I think its an absolutely rotten decision to have these ties played at this time of year. The League Cup should be played and concluded in the first half of the season and the Scottish Cup in the second. Of course this being Scotland...

Both.

There is a difference between 'struggling' against certain opposition and never beating them, as you seem to be implying that I say on here. We do struggle against SPL opposition in the Cup, as Aberdeen last season, Kilmarnock, St.Mirren, Celtic, Dundee Utd over the years have shown, we also struggle against lower league opposition aswell, St.Mirren, St.Johnstone, Dumbarton Inverness (twice), & Dundee when they were in the first division. At no point did I say that we never win any of these games.

Anyway, that's all I'm going to say on the matter in this thread because I don't want to take it off topic.

That's pretty damn obvious because we haven't won a cup since 1991 so you can say we've struggled against every team at some point since then. But then you can say that against Aberdeen because they haven't won a cup since 1996.

We have knocked St Johnstone, Dundee and Dundee United out the cup in recent years with relative ease. Yes you do say it on here because you have predicted victories for the opposition. I know you predicted Morton and Dundee would beat us and although I can't remember you probably predicted victories for St Johnstone and Dundee United when we scudded them.