Motherwell V Aberdeen

Dazzer

Aberdeen were so deep at time it mean we really struggled to get into a shooting position. I think we need to make a decision to take a bit of a risk in suituations like this. Aberdeen were not for coming out so passing the ball back to create space was not going to work and I felt the way to do it was to shoot on sight and hopefully a ricochet would drag them across.

The second half was dire though, no creativity, no spark, no risks taken and there just seemed a resignation to defeat, Really disappointing,

Aberdeen were playing 5 across the back with a bank of 4 in front of them after they scored. Very difficult to break down. They also hold a straight line defensively which is something we completely fail to do with players getting caught out of position (especially Hateley but they all do it) all the time.

Towards the end Aberdeen played with 6 players in a line right across the back.

• Like 1

We played some neat football in the first half without causing Aberdeen much of a threat. Second half was very poor and all our long standing weaknesses were exposed. I didn't think we missed Nicky Law - he's been playing out of position all season and has largely been ineffective, with a few notable exceptions. Both full backs again let us down.

To be honest we lost the game before 7.45 with the wrong team selection and tactics. Jamie Murphy should not have started, it just wasn't his type of game. By all means bring him on if we go a goal up but he's simply not suited to attacking packed defences.

To be honest I can't get worked up about the result - it was never going to be our year with the squad we've got. Better to go out to Aberdeen than a poorer team I suppose. I'm quite relaxed about some players leaving at the end of the season as we badly need some fresh blood and character.

Time now to concentrate on a top 6 league finish and blooding some youngsters like ZFA. Surely he's due a start at left midfield or left back?

Onwards and upwards!!

I guess the reality is that we have to piss with the pr1ck we have.

What I mean is that we probably have a better squad than we can afford, but that is still woefully short of quality, outside of say 12-14 players, which in turn means there can be NO plan B that everyone goes on about.

Our squad is weaker in numbers and depth than all the city clubs inc St Johnstone. So whilst last night was depressing is it really unexpected? And finishing 3rd last year and sitting 3rd this year means to me that S McCall and the team have by and large been doing a very good job, which some posters on here simply fail to accept. Each to there own.

As KMCalpin (Dave) mentioned above, yes our cup form has been poorof late. At least we are losing to Aberdeen, Celtic, Rangers, Levante etc. It was not that long ago we were losing to Ayr, Partick Thistle & Forfar!!!

• Like 1

I thought Humphrey was terrible last night. Now it was one of those games where he was not getting the service down the line but he shat out of every tackle, pretends to go for a header. No real commitment from him. Ojamaa had a poor game but at least he still chased down, tried to tackle etc.

Carswell didn't do enough to say he had a good game, he just constantly passed the ball 2 yards to nearest player.

Hatley was all over the place ala Hearts last season.

Randolph was brilliant again, Hutch was solid, Cummings did ok and I was disappointed with Hammell tonight.

We really miss a scott leitch type player who grabs the team by the scruff of the neck and pulls us through!

Disappointed to go out the cup at an early stage but lets move on, concentrate on the League form with a win over Hibs on Saturday!

To me that should be a captains role. Many of our fans are quick to chuck the word legend at guys like Craigan and Lasley but the truth is that when things aren't going our way, both these guys never stepped up to the plate to lead by example despite them having years off experience over the guys they are playing beside. In the second half when we were 2 down Hutchison had a couple of times where he pushed forward and tried to make things happen in the positions in front of him. Granted they didn't come off and he got a bit carried away but it was refreshing to see someone try to take some kind of lead. Yes he's young, lacks experience and is sometimes rash but he's more of a leader on the park than some of the experienced teammates alongside him.

• Like 2

^Got to agree with Dodge there, Hutchy did press forward into advanced positions to try and make it happen. At one point he was playing right wing and Humphrey took the ball off him to cross it miles to deep. Hutchy should have just done it himself.

In injury time, he moved himself up to centre forward. It didnt do any good, but he was showing the sort of fight we need.

We played some neat football in the first half without causing Aberdeen much of a threat. Second half was very poor and all our long standing weaknesses were exposed. I didn't think we missed Nicky Law - he's been playing out of position all season and has largely been ineffective, with a few notable exceptions. Both full backs again let us down.

are you kidding on?

law has been our best player over the past month or so and we missed him greatly last night. we were far too slow in the middle of the park and half the guys in the team can only pass the ball to their right, law gives you guile and tempo.

• Like 1

are you kidding on?

law has been our best player over the past month or so and we missed him greatly last night. we were far too slow in the middle of the park and half the guys in the team can only pass the ball to their right, law gives you guile and tempo.

Disagree with his assessment of not missing Nicky Law, but, raising the questionable performance of our full backs is correct in my opinion. Hammell has been poor for a long, long time :nod: As for Hateley... I suspected he was carrying on through a knock, but, no excuses for his latest appearance.

To me that should be a captains role. Many of our fans are quick to chuck the word legend at guys like Craigan and Lasley but the truth is that when things aren't going our way, both these guys never stepped up to the plate to lead by example despite them having years off experience over the guys they are playing beside. In the second half when we were 2 down Hutchison had a couple of times where he pushed forward and tried to make things happen in the positions in front of him. Granted they didn't come off and he got a bit carried away but it was refreshing to see someone try to take some kind of lead. Yes he's young, lacks experience and is sometimes rash but he's more of a leader on the park than some of the experienced teammates alongside him.

Unbelievable. Shaun Hutchinson was terrible last night, was all over the place at the back, his distribution was awful and he gave the ball away for fun and it was Hutchinson who lost the ball that led to us being caught out for the 2nd goal. Yet because he charged about like a bull in a china shop fans seems to lap it up.

He's been poor all season and has cost us far too many goals. Without an old head there to hold his hand he will continue to cost us goals as he's a loose cannon.

You're quick to point the finger at Craigan but Hutchinson hasn't looked half the player this season as he was last without Craigan/Clancy there to keep him under control and guide him through games.

its amazing how so many see the game so differently - I agree with some of what posters are saying, then disagreeing with another part fo what they are saying!

i thought it was a game of 2 halves - we were better in the first half and they were better in the second half. The difference is, when they were on top - they scored. We didnt.

im only judging the game on the 1st half - as Brown's tactics totally nullified us. Say what you want about him - but he certainly knows how to make teams difficult to beat.

Randolph - probably our MOTM, good to see him back and making top class saves (he's definitely leaving!!)

Hateley and Hammell - both poor by their own high standards, Hateley has taken alot of abuse from the fans about his corners, and last night, you seen a few of the players getting annoyed to. Is it really that difficult to tell someone else to swing it in?

Hutchy and Cummins - I actually thought Cummins looked the better of the 2 last night. Yes, Hutch made a few crunching tackles and a couple of flurrys up the park but more often than not when we had the ball he wasnt interested in receiving it unless he had to. Cummins on the other hand was always making himself available for a pass (if you have the ball, the one thing you want - is options of who to pass to)

Lasley and Carswell - i thought both of them started well and how different it could have been if Carsy had put his early chance away - he got stuck in and did the donkey work. I do like him and cant understand why some folk are saying he was terrible. Is that not his first start since Levante? You cant expect anyone, nevermind someone so young, to come in from the cold and dominate a midfield (especially against someone like Rae who has been around the block)

Hump and Murph - teams know us so well and I dont know if thats why Aberdeen played 5 at the back - both of them were doubled up on anytime they got the ball. Murphy started well but defo faded out the game

Higgy - i thought played well, good link up play and there were a few times where Ojamma was just too far away to benefit. Aberdeen snuffed Higgy out early when they dropped a midfielder to sit just in front of him any time the ball was launched to him

Ojamma - turning into a bit of David Clarkson - will run all day for you, close down defenders but its just not happening for him just now

We are defo missing the experience of Craggs, Clancy and Jenno - however, a message to the whole team:

IF YOU DONT SHOOT, YOU DONT SCORE!

Just to clear up on the guy that got chucked out, they weren't fighting about the game.

Guy appeared in front of us in the 2nd half (hadn't noticed him before then anyway), and was completely pissed and generally being a nuisance (he sat next to a bunch of young girls, who I'm pretty sure he wasn't with), he then stole the boy in fronts programme from under his seat and tried to stick it up his jumper. Being very drunk, he wasn't subtle, got caught in the act, and got aggressive when confronted about it by a couple of guys, and appeared to be kicking the boy in front (who he stole the programme off) so the folk round about called for the stewards who ejected him.

Just 1 drunk idiot, nothing to do with the how the game was going, as I doubt he even knew the score.

Unbelievable. Shaun Hutchinson was terrible last night, was all over the place at the back, his distribution was awful and he gave the ball away for fun and it was Hutchinson who lost the ball that led to us being caught out for the 2nd goal. Yet because he charged about like a bull in a china shop fans seems to lap it up.

He's been poor all season and has cost us far too many goals. Without an old head there to hold his hand he will continue to cost us goals as he's a loose cannon.

You're quick to point the finger at Craigan but Hutchinson hasn't looked half the player this season as he was last without Craigan/Clancy there to keep him under control and guide him through games.

Oh no you didn't. :O

In my experience, the referee usually chivies and harasses the celebrating team to get back up the park for the restart.

Judging from the highlights,the ref and the Aberdeen team went walkabout at each of the goals. this was timewasting and something should have been done. dry.gif

Oh no you didn't. :O

Well someone had to say it.

Shaun Hutchinson has been piss poor for the most part this season and has cost us a fair number of goals including last night. If Craigan, Reynolds or Clancy had made as many mistakes as Hutchinson has this season they'd be getting dogs abuse on here.

Not big Hutch though, much easier to point the finger at Cummins, Kerr, Hateley etc. for our shit defence, even though Hutchinson has been at fault as much as anyone for our shoddy defence this season.

Ducks for cover..

For me Cummins is currently out of his depth as well. I appreciate others will disagree. Our defensive qualities have been extremely poor. Two clean sheets (and two 0-0 draws at that) in how many competitive games? Must be 20 or thereabouts. Rank rotten.

• Like 1

Cummins is a raw talent still - he is the very person who needs an experienced pro beside him to help him in the reading of the game, instead he has got someone else who has just passed that level himself. As a pairing they are far too inexperienced.

Well someone had to say it.

Shaun Hutchinson has been piss poor for the most part this season and has cost us a fair number of goals including last night. If Craigan, Reynolds or Clancy had made as many mistakes as Hutchinson has this season they'd be getting dogs abuse on here.

Not big Hutch though, much easier to point the finger at Cummins, Kerr, Hateley etc. for our shit defence, even though Hutchinson has been at fault as much as anyone for our shoddy defence this season.

Ducks for cover..

You, sir, are correct in that Hutchinson seems to get off lightly when blame is getting dished out. Given his lack of experience, the stick Cummins has been getting by comparison is nothing short of a disgrace...

Not much scarpping as such more a scuffle, badly worded Finlay, more handbags and stewards chucked on guy out. Arguing over the performance. Never good to see.

Saw a guy getting lobbed out of the East with his arse hanging out. Couldn't have faught his way out of a wet poke.

The guy was totally hammered he was making a lot of noise and singing like a good yin which was fine if not even mildly funny, he then proceeded to nick a wee lads proggy and wouldn't give it back, when the boys dad chinned him he got agressive and wanted to have a square go with the world, The stewards papped him out but not before he wanted to fight with them too.

Much ado about nohting guy was steaming.

are you kidding on?

I'm perfectly serious and stand by what I wrote earlier.

When he was signed Stuart McCall called him a left side attacking midfielder, which is what he is. Last season Nicky Law was played wide left in an offensive role and he revelled in that. He's quick and has guile as you rightly point out.

This season he has been playing far deeper in central midfield and has, not unsurprisingly, been unable to get forward as much. He has been asked to fill Steve Jennings' vacancy, which he has been unable to do as he is physically and character wise unsuited to such a position. Now that is not his fault - you wouldn't expect Steve Hammell to play centre defence would you? He hasn't been putting in crunching tackles, breaking up attacks or shielding two inexperienced centre backs. In his current role, he has not performed, and I wouldn't expect him to.

That said, he has produced flashes of his attacking form such as he did last Saturday. Move him to wide left midfield and you'll see the player he was last season.

In my view you either play him in his favoured position or you don't play him at all. However as some other posters have said Stuart McCall has a tendency to pick his 11 best players irrespective of what position they play.

I'm perfectly serious and stand by what I wrote earlier.

When he was signed Stuart McCall called him a left side attacking midfielder, which is what he is. Last season Nicky Law was played wide left in an offensive role and he revelled in that. He's quick and has guile as you rightly point out.

This season he has been playing far deeper in central midfield and has, not unsurprisingly, been unable to get forward as much. He has been asked to fill Steve Jennings' vacancy, which he has been unable to do as he is physically and character wise unsuited to such a position. Now that is not his fault - you wouldn't expect Steve Hammell to play centre defence would you? He hasn't been putting in crunching tackles, breaking up attacks or shielding two inexperienced centre backs. In his current role, he has not performed, and I wouldn't expect him to.

That said, he has produced flashes of his attacking form such as he did last Saturday. Move him to wide left midfield and you'll see the player he was last season.

In my view you either play him in his favoured position or you don't play him at all. However as some other posters have said Stuart McCall has a tendency to pick his 11 best players irrespective of what position they play.

I agree

"He's wee He's braw He's Nicky Law the best WINGER I ever saw"

So why do we play him at centre mid? Because we have no one else who can play there.

Everyone was absolutely honkin' last night but the player who annoyed me the most was Fraser Kerr. He is murder and and granted only had a few minutes but he came on had the last chance to send the ball up the line at 2-1 and took an extra couple of touches fucked it up and booted the ball out of play!! Fucking scandalous!