Motherwell V Aberdeen

Dazzer

Was looking on soccerbase there and apparently we haven't beaten Aberdeen at Fir Park in the Scottish Cup since 1958. Obviously we've won at Pittodrie a couple of times, '91 being the most recent but we've got to buck that trend of home defeats against then in this competition if we are to be at Easter Road in February.

1355146959[/url]' post='368964']

I can only see something of tight, nervy slog. And I can't help thinking about how anxious the last few minutes of the ninety and/or 120 minutes could be if the tie is still alive at that stage.

They've obviously got equalisers at the death in the last two games at Pittodrie but they have done that (by that I mean have scored) quite regularly in Cup ties in recent seasons. I seem to remember late goals against St Mirren this season to take it to extra-time in the League Cup, they did the same to them last season at Paisley to earn a replay if I remember rightly and something at the back of my head tells me Dunfermline got hit at the death in a game too.

It may be we may have to show quite a bit of character from us to overcome that if we are ahead or level heading into the injury time.

I think I'd much rather we were 4-0 up and half the South Stand's three-quarters empty all things considered!!

Aberdeen have been masters of late goals, particularly in cup games since Brown went there and they usually go on and win the tie in the replay/extra time once they've snatched a draw from the jaws of defeat, the recent St.Mirren game in the league cup being the exception. Another worrying trend for us ahead of tomorrow.

Edit to add; They have actually scored game changing last minute goals in cup games on an incredible SEVEN occasions during Craig Brown's time there.

Aberdeen have been masters of late goals, particularly in cup games since Brown went there and they usually go on and win the tie in the replay/extra time once they've snatched a draw from the jaws of defeat, the recent St.Mirren game in the league cup being the exception. Another worrying trend for us ahead of tomorrow.

Edit to add; They have actually scored game changing last minute goals in cup games on an incredible SEVEN occasions during Craig Brown's time there.

How many last minute goals did the score in last season's Scottish Cup?

(clue: 1)

None of which makes any difference in Tuesday's game.

1355151760[/url'>' post='368974']

How many last minute goals did the score in last season's Scottish Cup?

(clue: 1)

None of which makes any difference in Tuesday's game.

1355152288' post='368975']

@MJC

You love to look at trends to justify why we'll get beat but just ignore all trends in our favour. Btw the 'stats' you've provided are fucking useless in regards to tomorrow night

All statistics are essentially useless in determining how a particular game will pan out, but they are still there and daresay it, still interesting to many folk. Like it or not, these particular 'stats' are relevant to this thread, which is of course about a Motherwell v. Aberdeen cup game tomorrow. They might not have a material effect on tomorrow's game, but they are still interesting to note.

• Like 1

All statistics are essentially useless in determining how a particular game will pan out, but they are still there and daresay it, still interesting to many folk. Like it or not, these particular 'stats' are relevant to this thread, which is of course about a Motherwell v. Aberdeen cup game tomorrow. They might not have a material effect on tomorrow's game, but they are still interesting to note.

His main beef (I think) is the fact that you provide one sided stats and ignore ones that point to a Motherwell win or are they not interesting or relevant to this thread?

Well let's hope so because I desperately want us to progress in the Cup and it will be absolutely gutting if we don't. The Scottish Cup is a great competition and always adds that extra bit of excitement every year as you hope that this will be our year and dream of reaching Hampden and seeing us lifting the Cup. Once you're knocked out then all that excitement disappears and a bit of apathy sets in.

I know some others disagree but winning the cup would, for me at least, be the greatest achievement for us and it would piss all over playing a European qualifier which we have little to no chance of getting through.

I think this year, with the potential for Celtic to be distracted by their Champions League campaign and with Rangers unlikely to get anywhere near the latter stages, provides perhaps a very good chance for the other clubs of winning it, so it's vital that we can stay in the mix as long as possible.

• Like 1

1355152926[/url]' post='368978']

His main beef (I think) is the fact that you provide one sided stats and ignore ones that point to a Motherwell win or are they not interesting or relevant to this thread?

They are no more or no less relevant or interesting, but I've as much right to bring them up as anyone who brings up stats which are more positive in our favour. At the end of the day though neither form of statistics will make one jot of difference to tomorrow nights game.

This. You say the stats may be useless but are still there yet I can't ever remember you giving a stat that points to a positive result....such as our superb record vs Aberdeen in recent seasons which has much more relevance than saying we haven't beat them in the cup at home since 1958.

Anyway I predict 3-1 'well. Murphy, Higdon and Law

Aberdeen scoring a last minute goal against QoS in last season's Cup run has no relevance to tomorrow's game except to feed your depression.

Remind us of your prediction from last year's Dundee Utd. cup replay.

Was looking on soccerbase there and apparently we haven't beaten Aberdeen at Fir Park in the Scottish Cup since 1958. Obviously we've won at Pittodrie a couple of times, '91 being the most recent but we've got to buck that trend of home defeats against then in this competition if we are to be at Easter Road in February.

This means the square root of fuck all.

"Since 2007 all of MJCs post have contained 76% negativity and 24% horse shite" - Optajohnstone

• Like 1

They are no more or no less relevant or interesting, but I've as much right to bring them up as anyone who brings up stats which are more positive in our favour. At the end of the day though neither form of statistics will make one jot of difference to tomorrow nights game.

Nobody says that you don't have a right to bring them up but a bit of balance would be nice.

Any concerns about the pitch tonight? It's baltic this morning.

With a doft of my cap to the current groundstaff, given the sterling work done of late, I'd expect zero issues. Pittodrie looked in terrible condition the other week, doubtful Scotland's rugger efforts solely to blame the week previous either.

Expecting big performances all round. As long as the players lead on the pitch the crowd will follow... not onto the pitch I may add :evilgrin:

Fir Park looked immaculate on Saturday there - nowhere near enough kudos is being thrown the way of the club or the groundstaff from either us or the media for this.

The pitch will hold up fine - unfortunately I don't think the players will!