Stuart Mccall - Your Time Is Up

MJC_MKI

To be fair to MJC and to McGhee, his '3rd' season is easily the best football I've seen in claret and amber since I've followed them (c1993).

In patches, yes. But if we're seeing McCall berated for his team's performance in "big cup games" then you'd have to look at McGhee's frankly abysmal record with a much better squad. At times McGhee had Lasley, Lappin, Sutton or Murphy to call from the bench. Wagebill and squad then pisses over what we have now..

People who want rid of McCall & suggest Calderwood as his replacement really need to get a grip. If you want 1st Division football then aye the tango mans the way to go otherwise keep him the feck away.

Just coz you can take Motherwell to Champions League glory in FIFA doesn't mean it's possible in real life. Time to step away from the Playstation

It's ridiculous to be suggesting that we jettison McCall after what he has achieved(so far) at Motherwell. By all means, some constructive criticism is acceptable and he is certainly man enough to admit that he gets it wrong from time to time, a trait that gets my full respect.

We are playing in front of dwindling crowds, budgets are being narrowed year upon year regardless of performance and we struggle to compete with low end League 1/top League 2, even Blue Sq teams with a sugar daddy in some cases, for wages. Yet despite all of this, we are still one of the best sides in the SPL. Under Stuart McCall our league form for the most part, is the most consistently high level I can remember since the heady days of the mid nineties when we had plenty of cash. I hate the shite defeats to Celtic, The Zombies and recently the poor Cup performances as much as the next man, but these aren't a new occurrence for Motherwell FC.

Calling for his head is outrageous in the extreme and is so far off the mark it's fuckin' unreal!

• Like 4

Mark McGhee.

Obviously you must be forgetting the big game failures against Nancy, Dundee in the Cup, the game against St Mirren when we needed a win to get in to the top six and McGhee played 6 defenders and we got beat..........

His record in 'the big games' was top drawer.

And tommy won the most important game in our recent history !! obviously your a fuckwit !

Hmm let me choose - would rather Motherwell had won the league with 7 points from 12 or won the cup in 1991? The league would have been my choice, but it never happened. Those who know me know exactly my opinions on Mr McLean which never changed throughout his entire tenure at Fir Park, but that is by the by. It is my opinion, which I am perfectly entitled to hold. It certainly does not give an anonymous forum poster the right to call me a "Fuckwit".

Keyboard warriors of the world unite!

• Like 2

Hmm let me choose - would rather Motherwell had won the league with 7 points from 12 or won the cup in 1991? The league would have been my choice, but it never happened. Those who know me know exactly my opinions on Mr McLean which never changed throughout his entire tenure at Fir Park, but that is by the by. It is my opinion, which I am perfectly entitled to hold. It certainly does not give an anonymous forum poster the right to call me a "Fuckwit".

Keyboard warriors of the world unite!

It sounds personal.

remember we played Livingston first game of the season that year ,took a great away support and although we lost 3-2 after being 3 -0 down in the first half the players were given a standing ovation at the end of the game. I haven't been to firpark this season and won't be back till the wee Ranger and his fuckin arsehole sidekick get tae fuck. Think that should be clear enough for all the personality's on here.

Aye it been pure tough times under McCall, you did well lasting this long.... needs :help:

Also we are dealing with a guy who thinks our cup run to the final and our third place finish have nothing at all to do with the manager.

Lets be honest here - we have lost some major experienced players and we have not had the money to replace them with similar quality.

Our current central defence is very young and inexperienced so of course will leak goals.

The bottom line is that the players respect McCall and I am pretty sure Motherwell FC are happy with the manager - so why rock the boat becuase of a few defeats?

If I ran this forum I'd start banning persistently negative posters. There's nothing wrong with criticism when it's due but MJC is the absolute worst contributer to this site. His negative rep is at about -200 which says it all really. If he's actually at the wind up he's fucking good at it. At least Ice Rink was funny and he got banned!

• Like 1

I seem to remember the majority of people on here were urging the club to vote against Rangers being admitted into the SPL and vowing that they'd accept any inconsistencies in form, and that the squad would likely be the same, only really being supplemented by youth. Where has that gone?

Now, we're 3rd in the league at present and as far as I can recall have exited the cup twice to Aberdeen under McCall, and in the League Cup lost to Hibs and Rangers? Aberdeen and Hibs defeats are hardly indicative of a crisis... and Rangers, well I honestly think any SPL team would have lost that night. And his teams have won plenty of pressure games in his time.

Home performances have been poor and can't be dismissed of course, but you can't dismiss the away performances either - both count towards the league placing.

The difference for me? At home if a player makes a mistake the top of the east stand start a song to encourage him, but are very quickly drowned out by a plethora of folk desperate to tell the player how shite he is. After that, they are less inclined to take responsibility. Away from home... much less abuse and pressure, and they hear the support.

It works both ways though, the players need to give the fans something to get them going but the fans need to keep behind the players.

As for McCall going? Absolute nonsense. 3rd in the league on merit at present, and unless you can accurately predict the future you cannot possibly say with certainty that the only way is down like some are trying to.

• Like 1

Fuck right off! One season wonder who walked away rather than try and build a new team. Mind you, maybe just as well as his first piece of the jigsaw was Michael Fraser...

I'm not a big fan of the way McGhee ended up leaving and his conduct during his final season where he publically whored himself for other jobs, showing a complete lack of respect for the Motherwell support.

However, during his first season in particular, we played what was without doubt the best football I have ever seen in my time watching Motherwell. For him to come in during the summer of 2007 after the disaster that was the Malpas season and transform us into a side capable of playing fast flowing football which ended up with us finishing 3rd was an incredible achievement. He wasn't perfect and yes, we had some poor Cup results under him, but we also won a good few important games aswell. The Hearts Cup tie just after Phil O'Donnell's death where we were 2-0 down in the first game and came back to 2-2 and won the replay, the win at Parkhead with 10 men, the win against Aberdeen to clinch third etc.

If I ran this forum I'd start banning persistently negative posters. There's nothing wrong with criticism when it's due but MJC is the absolute worst contributer to this site. His negative rep is at about -200 which says it all really. If he's actually at the wind up he's fucking good at it. At least Ice Rink was funny and he got banned!

Yeah that's a great idea, ban folk who don't toe the party line and have opinions which are different to the majority. Pretty sure that's one of the ways how Nazi Germany got off the ground.

Contrary to what some believe, I'm not winding anyone up. I've honestly got better things in life to do than wind up a bunch of monikers on an internet web forum. Apart from anything else, I've been a user of this forum for nine years, since it was first formed as welltrustfc.net and yes, I'm more than often negative but that's just how I am. I don't sit at Fir Park and abuse the players although I don't resort to abuse on here, I often do use this board as a sort of a relief valve to vent frustrations about the team or the club from time to time. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who does that either.

Anyway, no one is forcing you to read my contributions on here, in fact is there not an 'Ignore User' option which prevents you from reading posters you don't like reading?

• Like 1

The way McGhee left and the build up to it left a bad taste, BUT, I have never seen a Motherwell team look fitter and ready to go than in McGhee's 1st season!!

I'm sure if you could take the best qualities of butcher, McGhee, gannon, brown and McCall you would have one of the best managers on the world.

:lol:

Anyway...

WE ARE ALL STUART MCCALL!!!!!

• Like 1

Stuart McCall is a poor, poor manager who is tactically inept, struggles to motivate the team and for the life of him cannot change a game when things aren't going according to his 'Plan A'. His line ups and tactical set ups are largely predictable and as soon as soon as things aren't going to plan he has absolutely no idea what to do to change things. Ask yourself this, in Stuart McCall's time in charge, has he ever been able to change a game, ONE GAME, that has been going against us? I think you'll find the answer is no.

I've just noticed this topic and sorry if this has been pointed out before but I had to take exception to this part. Take a look at this table for the season so far: http://stats.footbal...PR/ptsgain.html Look who's sitting right there at the top.

I think what might help contribute to this feeling however is our tiny squad size. I've seen fans on P&B complaining about having to play youth players on the bench because of injuries, we have to play our youth on the bench even without injuries, and have been playing them most of the season. There aren't many good options for McCall to turn to when things aren't going as planned.

Edited by TonyS88
  • Like 2

I'm not a big fan of the way McGhee ended up leaving and his conduct during his final season where he publically whored himself for other jobs, showing a complete lack of respect for the Motherwell support.

However, during his first season in particular, we played what was without doubt the best football I have ever seen in my time watching Motherwell. For him to come in during the summer of 2007 after the disaster that was the Malpas season and transform us into a side capable of playing fast flowing football which ended up with us finishing 3rd was an incredible achievement. He wasn't perfect and yes, we had some poor Cup results under him, but we also won a good few important games aswell. The Hearts Cup tie just after Phil O'Donnell's death where we were 2-0 down in the first game and came back to 2-2 and won the replay, the win at Parkhead with 10 men, the win against Aberdeen to clinch third.

So generally did well and managed to win some of the big games? Just like McCall then except he had players like Porter, Quinn, McCormack and Clarkson.

It fascinates me that McCall gets less credit that McGhee when both finished third in the league. Strikes me that on that basis, McCall will never win some people over. Eighteen months in the job and he'd taken us to a cup final and then a third place finish. You can debate how enjoyable our home games have been to watch but in terms of results, his record compares favourably with most Motherwell managers...

• Like 1