St Mirren Vs Motherwell

Dave87

2-1 full time and it sounds as though it could have been worse. Questions have to be asked of the central midfield and full backs if we allowed to Saints to come at us and rain cross after cross into the box. We certainly seem to shipping goals at the moment against every level of opposition.

2-1 full time and it sounds as though it could have been worse. Questions have to be asked of the central midfield and full backs if we allowed to Saints to come at us and rain cross after cross into the box. We certainly seem to shipping goals at the moment against every level of opposition.

Any idea where we are in the league now ?

found it

No movement 1 Celtic 17 19 34 No movement 2 Motherwell 19 5 30 No movement 3 Inverness CT 18 6 29 No movement 4 Hibernian 18 2 27 No movement 5 St Johnstone 18 -1 25 No movement 6 Dundee Utd 17 1 24 No movement 7 Aberdeen 18 1 24 No movement 8 Kilmarnock 17 4 22 No movement 9 Hearts 18 -2 22 No movement 10 St Mirren 19 -9 20 No movement 11 Ross County 18 -6 18 No movement 12 Dundee 17 -20 12

We're leaking goals to everyone and not learning from previous mistakes.

Looks like we'll need to score 2 goals a game to pick up any points which is a big ask.

How many points have St Mirren picked up lately? They have looked fucking murder n'aw.

Really disappointing to say the least.

Exactly Juan. The expectation levels in here drive me mental at times. When (not if) we eventually settle back down to our natural level of anything between 5th and 8th, I have no idea how some folk will cope, The Samaritans had better get themselves geared up!!

Losing to Berwick Rangers in a league match in 1980/81, now THAT'S unacceptable, though I'm sure none of the doom n gloom merchants were even born then

McCall got the praise for Saturday and he'll have to take some stick for tonight because his tactics weren't good enough and he took too long to change it.

Our defence is shite, not just Hateley as some would have you believe but all of them. They do however get fuck all protection because of the way we set up. With Law and Lasley both pushing forward along with our usual 4 forwards as soon as we lose the ball we are caught out and all it takes is one ball and we're on the back foot. It's happened time and time again this season and again tonight. Two free crosses with no pressure on the ball and two Saints goals. The Saints midfield had free run on our defence time and time again. Don't let the score line fool you, we were poor. As well as their two goals Hateley and Ramsden both cleared goal bound shots of the line in the 1st half. They also had several good chances to finish us at the start of the 2nd.

We could have snuck a point in the end with a break of the ball but it wasn't to be. We can't keep waiting to be two down and wait till the last half hour to start playing. Too little to fucking late.

McHugh and ZFA both deserve a start for me, both made a huge difference when they came on, well done to Bob on another goal. He really must have the best minute to goal ratio of any Motherwell forward this season. Ojamaa was my MOM, a real bright spark always looking to make things happen. Created a number of good chances for himself, set up the goal and never stopped running. Murphy was decent as well, Humphrey faded in the 2nd. The rest were below par, and that was possibly Keith Lasley's worst game in a Motherwell strip. I mean he was Shaun Fagan bad tonight, couldn't pass, couldn't tackle and when he ballooned a good chance over at the end that about summed up his evening.

Talk of McCall getting the sack is ridiculous, it is however frustrating to watch us repeat the same the mistakes over and over again. He MUST shake things up for Wednesday and he has to offer the defence more protection in future.

• Like 1

Though weeyin may beg to differ about stats and previous fixtures meaning little, when you are a team like Motherwell and you've won 4 successive away league fixtures, then really its fairly inevitable what's lurking around the corner sooner or later so I had some doubts in the back of my mind.

To add to that I thought St Mirren actually looked pretty decent at Fir Park earlier in the season so I wasn't overly confident going there beforehand.

But after the opening few minutes I thought we settled down and played some decent stuff in what was an open game. We'd rode our luck certainly with Hateley clearing off the line and an outstretched foot blocking another with the goal gaping but we'd dominated possession and it looked from distance that we'd had one blocked on the line also, so I thought 2-0 was a bit harsh on us at half-time.

Second half it could have been dead early on but for Randolph's weekly jaw-drapping save but after that we gradually built up a head of steam, had them hemmed in and were battering them at times in the twenty minutes. We certainly had enough of the game and enough chances to have got what I think would have been a deserved draw.

Certainly disappointed to lose but take some consolation from the fact it was a decent game, played out in front of a healthy 'Well support (the usual suspects in which noisily backed the team the hilt right to the death).

Quite whether we could risk a forward line akin to how we've finished games recently against Ross County and St Mirren unless we're chasing something I suspect not, but the Higdon-less front-line does look very pleasing on the eye when its full-flow and the likes of Ojamaa, Murphy, Francis-Angol, Humphrey and McHugh are tearing defenders to shreds with their pace, movement and one-touch stuff. Definitely a good option to have in the locker when Higgy is off form or is being marked out a game.

If only we could get reach such levels of intensity at the start of a game, as we've seen at the end in the last week we could have teams blown away Mark McGhee first six months style by half-time.

• Like 1

How does he shake things up? His options are very limited as we have no depth of squad.

As for shaking the defence up that's the last thing we want as we will only be replacing slightly more seasoned inexperienced defenders with totally unseasoned inexperienced defenders. Hatley excluded he's more experienced but having a mare of a season.

Love him or hate him Craig's was the old head organising in there. We need a more seasoned pro to settle the defence IMHO

Folk need to calm down a bit it's hardly like we are in a relegation fight. facepalm.gif

• Like 1

We shouldn't have brought daley on (he actually played well) but it ruined the shape and momentum we had.

We were a shambles defensivly st mirren players were allowed time and space all night how many times did a saints player run 40-50 yards unchallenged and we never even closed down the shot.

We were decent enough going forward and missed a lot of chances but its a shame we never clicked till too late. Bob McHugh and ZFA deserve to start the next game not sure who I'd drop though

It's all our own fault that we lost tho

Did anyone else feel like they were at a home game? Our fans seem to love abusing our own players I mean there was one guy shouting fuck sakes cummings when he wasn't even playing and shouting at murphy when it was ojamma :dash2:

I sat and watched the same game tonight as i did in our cup exit against the Dons the exact same ........ five across the back and make us pass across and backwards then wait for us to make a suicide pass run up the park and score....... twice ,then we leave it too late to work out how to beat them. Come on Stuart learn from yer mistakes you let down 1000 Well fans to night and against a team who really were shite :wallbash:

How many points have St Mirren picked up lately? They have looked fucking murder n'aw.

St. Mirren have now only lost 1 of their last 5 matches and that was to Celtic. 2 wins, 2 draws and that defeat at Celtic Park so there not actually in bad form.

Something has to be done to shore us up defensively. 3 clean sheets in 26 matches just isn't good enough. We've also conceded 2 goals in our last 4 matches, again not good enough, especially when you consider 3 of those teams are Bottom 6 teams.

I'd have Saunders back in as soon as he's ready but even then you can't expect him to come back from his bad injuries and make everything OK in an instant. He's going to need games to get back up to speed.

Just seen the goals on SSN. Frightening how much space and time given for both crosses into our box.

Both were Hammys fault IMO. He had an absolute mare tonight. Got lucky with another in the first half by showing Teale inside and leaving him in acres of space.

• Like 2