Steve Diggle

So another year ends

Pretty eventful all in for our wee club.

Saw some of the stats on SSN there. 2nd most points in the SPL, 2nd highest scorer etc.

Add to that Champions League Football, some great young prospects at the club and some decent auld carthorses doing the business leaving us in a great position to build on that in 2013.

So much to be grateful for

Thanks MFC - All The Best

• Like 5

I followed Motherwell for over 50 years, and my only regret is my dad didn't get to see them in the Champions League. 2012 has been a remarkable year to be a Motherwell fan, and I'm glad to have been a part of it. All the best to all the 'Well fans out there. let's sincerely hope 2013 can be even half as good as last year.

Taking 2012 as a whole , there are so many highs and achievements to be proud and bask in the glory of , yet some prefer to wallow in the few lows we have had along the way . We are a small club and lows are inevitable , just got to ride them out and milk the fuck out the highs when they come along .

'91 aside , this has to be up there as my proudest year of being a 'Well fan in over 25 years of supporting the team . Heres hoping 2013 is even half as prosperous for the club and the Dossers who hold it close to their heart , wherever they may be .

Highlight of 2012 without a doubt standing with the "500" in the Olympic Stadium in Athens.

We are Motherwell Champions League!

Never thought Id ever utter those words.

Thanks lads.

• Like 1

Sometimes I think the short-termism that is prevalent amongst many football fans, and not just Motherwell fans, means some won't truly appreciate these times until further down the line. It may be it will take some much rougher seas for some to look back and think, you know those days weren't too bad at all.

Obviously I hope the good times we've been enjoying roll on for much longer yet ofcourse!!

I occasionally wonder if its having suffered relegation or the experience of following a Motherwell team through back-to-back seasons in the First Division that leads to the exasperation we see now and again from some of the forum's more senior members when they see people screaming for the manager's head, or making claims that they won't be back, when we find ourselves sitting in 3rd place in the SPL but happen to have gone out the Cup to another SPL team.

The flip side to that I suppose is that there will be plenty in our support who will only have known Motherwell as established top flight team and who in their relatively tender years in comparison may have grown to consider the Cup Finals, European football and top half finishes as more of a norm and view disappointments and setbacks in that different context.

For me 2012 is up there with some of the very best of our club's recent short-medium term history. It's not uncommon for your average SPL team to have a good season - finish up near the top, get to or win a Cup final. But it takes a different gravy to be able to keep that momentum going over a period of years and this is what we've managed to do by and large for the last decade, give or take the odd blip.

I think what makes it all the better this year is that with each passing summer we've been taking a deeper and deeper breath waiting for it to all unravel but somehow it has just kept rolling along and arguably got even better despite players moving on and budgets diminishing.

I personally thought this year we were going to be on the slide with Craigan, Clancy and Jennings all going in the summer. It's a very finely balanced league and who knows what sort of squad we may be left with at the start of February but I would never have believed we would be sitting a goal or whatever it is off second going into 2013. There have been some awful results sure, but the overall consistency that the team has shown, illustrated by the 2nd highest SPL points total over the year, has been remarkable and a testament to the players and management of MFC.

• Like 3

Highlight of 2012 without a doubt standing with the "500" in the Olympic Stadium in Athens.

We are Motherwell Champions League!

Never thought Id ever utter those

Thanks lads.

Proudest moment as a well fan standing at that game in Athens..Motherwell in the champions league..we were having a laugh we were Motherwell..

Sometimes I think the short-termism that is prevalent amongst many football fans, and not just Motherwell fans, means some won't truly appreciate these times until further down the line. It may be it will take some much rougher seas for some to look back and think, you know those days weren't too bad at all.

Obviously I hope the good times we've been enjoying roll on for much longer yet ofcourse!!

I occasionally wonder if its having suffered relegation or the experience of following a Motherwell team through back-to-back seasons in the First Division that leads to the exasperation we see now and again from some of the forum's more senior members when they see people screaming for the manager's head, or making claims that they won't be back, when we find ourselves sitting in 3rd place in the SPL but happen to have gone out the Cup to another SPL team.

The flip side to that I suppose is that there will be plenty in our support who will only have known Motherwell as established top flight team and who in their relatively tender years in comparison may have grown to consider the Cup Finals, European football and top half finishes as more of a norm and view disappointments and setbacks in that different context.

For me 2012 is up there with some of the very best of our club's recent short-medium term history. It's not uncommon for your average SPL team to have a good season - finish up near the top, get to or win a Cup final. But it takes a different gravy to be able to keep that momentum going over a period of years and this is what we've managed to do by and large for the last decade, give or take the odd blip.

I think what makes it all the better this year is that with each passing summer we've been taking a deeper and deeper breath waiting for it to all unravel but somehow it has just kept rolling along and arguably got even better despite players moving on and budgets diminishing.

I personally thought this year we were going to be on the slide with Craigan, Clancy and Jennings all going in the summer. It's a very finely balanced league and who knows what sort of squad we may be left with at the start of February but I would never have believed we would be sitting a goal or whatever it is off second going into 2013. There have been some awful results sure, but the overall consistency that the team has shown, illustrated by the 2nd highest SPL points total over the year, has been remarkable and a testament to the players and management of MFC.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Particularly your first points about appreciating where we are just now. This is an absolutely remarkable period in our clubs history and there's no amount of moaning will ruin my enjoyment of it. There will be tough times at some point in our future, we will be involved in a relegation fight somewhere down the line. I wonder if those who failed to really appreciate what we have going on will regret not making the most of things just now.

When your only complaints about a calendar year are

"AAAAARGH, cannae believe we didny win the cup!"

and

"Fucking...beaten by a Rangers team at Ibrox..."

You know it's been one glorious year.

Agree with this completely, however we really should have reached the Semis at least last season and that combined with our pathetic showing at Ibrox in September were extemely sore points that cannot be ignored.

Agree with this completely,...

so far so good.

however

ach well, nice while it lasted.

For auld yins like me, 2012 ranks among the top 2 or 3 years I can remember. Champions League and the launch of the Well Society made it unique and our final league positions have been excellent.

We really have been spoiled as fans the past few seasons, and long may it continue.

24.JPG

that was my highlight of the year.

athens was great as well but the atmosphere for some reason was better in valencia probably due to it not being as warm and the ground being fuller. the performance of the young players that night was unbelievable and it was definitely one of my proudest moments as a motherwell fan.