Celtic Vs Motherwell

Dave87

Randolph for penalties campaign.

Problem with that is if the keeper saves it and keeps hold of it he has to be fouled immeadiately or your looking at conceeding a goal.

How Hateley is keep getting to hit freekicks, corners, and now a penalty is totally beyond me. Utterly woeful at the lot this season.

I've no doubt both were trying to score, but if you can't see the difference between the two sets of circumstances...

This.

I like Tom Hateley, and for his general play he would be one of my first names on the team sheet...but the only person that thinks he has any type of dead-ball skill is himself...and believing that you're amazing at something which in reality you're extremely poor at, is not an endearing quality. And that's today's penalty aside...not only is he ineffective with a dead-ball, but his dominance of every opportunity prevents anyone else having any kind of attempt at success.

This.

I like Tom Hateley, and for his general play he would be one of my first names on the team sheet...but the only person that thinks he has any type of dead-ball skill is himself...and believing that you're amazing at something which in reality you're extremely poor at, is not an endearing quality. And that's today's penalty aside...not only is he ineffective with a dead-ball, but his dominance of every opportunity prevents anyone else having any kind of attempt at success.

I blame McCall and Lasley for that then.

Either that or your understanding of how a team are sent out with roles, tasks and responsibilities differs from mine.

• Like 1

I can't stand the double standards of alleged fans. Murphy missed one last game, Hateley this. What a different response. Shameful really.

I'm sure Tam stepped up and tried his best to despatch it just like Jamie did last week

Murphy copped plenty flack in his time, but there a big difference when you miss a pen in a game you romping and missing one at Parkhead for a rare old firm win.

Hately is at the moment not exactly mr popular from a mediocre season either and Murphy has been going through a decent spell of form.

possibly. But you get my point, hopefully.

I'm no' fuckin daft

Course I get your point, but you asked the question about why the difference in reactions between the reaction to Murphy's miss last week and Hateley's today and I answered your post.

'Well fans are deeply frustrated that we missed a gilted edged chance to get a result at Parkhead and they are venting their frustrations about it. Never mind last week, this thread is about today's game and no other.

I blame McCall and Lasley for that then.

Either that or your understanding of how a team are sent out with roles, tasks and responsibilities differs from mine.

Aside from the fact i'd imagine most peoples understanding of football differs from yours, Im addressing a problem, not apportioning blame. As I said I like Tom Hateley a lot but regardless of who the player is, and regardless of where the instruction comes from, the dominance of dead-ball situations by someone who has a success/completion rate of less than 1% in putting the ball where he's attempting to put it, surely flags up a problem that should be addressed.

If Chris Humphrey was designated to be the set-piece taker, how long would he last before someone else was told to hit them instead? Tom Hateley's delivery is no better...why is he untouchable?

Personally I'd stick Ojaama on spot kick duty and let him know he'll be doing it until the end of the season regardless.

I'm not sure what it is about Hateley, but I've never really been able to warm to him. He always strikes me as the type who's a decent player that thinks he's much better than he is.

No doubt my feelings will intensify even more when he eventually moves to Rangers. He seems a perfect fit for that mob if I'm being honest.

• Like 3

FWIW I thought Tom Hateley had one of his best games today, and it was in midfield. One of the only ones that got stuck in and tried to get us playing football in the first half. Little surprise that when the rest of the team did similar in the second half we made a game of it and nearly won it.

When the penalty was given I didn't care who was hitting it, I didn't think we'd score. Fair play to Hateley for stepping up; it didn't look like a shite penalty (as Murphy against Aberdeen was) but a good save. It's a missed opportunity at parkhead but I'm pleased with the performance against the Old Firm for once. Henrik and Murphy looked good when they got on the ball and much as I think we'll miss Jamie when he goes I think we can cope with the rest of the attacking options we have.

• Like 1

so you cant draw on any other information to illustrate a point

interesting rule

No I never said that, I just offered a counter view to your's that some on here are giving Hateley more abuse for missing a penalty than they gave Murphy last week.

Makes you wonder doesn't it? Our conversion rate over the past few years is nothing short of disgraceful. Is it a lack of bottle or a lack of luck? Or maybe a combination but you cannot ignore our pathetic record from the spot in the last three to four years.

• Like 1

Makes you wonder doesn't it? Our conversion rate over the past few years is nothing short of disgraceful. Is it a lack of bottle or a lack of luck? Or maybe a combination but you cannot ignore our pathetic record from the spot in the last three to four years.

What I would say is that i'd imagine many clubs are looking at a similar change, throughout the footballing world. In times past a penalty was pretty much as good as a goal, you'd have been as well just awarding it and keeping the game going. But the advent of technology and access to viewing games and players in the last 10 years, has meant that goalkeeping has moved on from "the dafty that will chuck himself in front of anything", to being an actual art.

Goalkeepers do their research, are much more agile, and are much more up in the psychology of the game these days...and all of those combine to make a huge difference. From what used to be almost a certain goal, a penalty these days is probably only around 70/30 in favour of the taker.

We're noticing our failings because we're close to the club and see every single one, but if you look at the wider picture in other games, leagues and countries, penalty shootouts, goalkeepers have upped the stakes massively in recent years.

4 from 4 in the league last year...

Pen has just been shown on SSN.

Not a bad attempt. Forster guesses right and covers some ground.

Unlucky if you ask me

And guess what?

Having just saw that footage aswell I would have to agree with you. It was a decent strike which was well saved.

It's still very frustrating mind you to get a penalty at Paekhead with less than 15 minutes to go and for us to fail to score and I think that's what the reaction has been based on so far.

Tom Hateley@TomHateley6 Can't think of a strong enough word today how I feel...gutted! Sorry.

Henrik Ojamaa@HenrikOjamaa Great effort from the lads, couldve gone either way. Small minority giving Tom a hard time should stay home next time #notwelcome

Niko Law@N7KOL4W7 @TomHateley6 head up tommy :) happens to the best, great balls from yourself to step up!

Just back from the game and still feel gutted at coming away with nothing.

Celtic started strongly and for about 10 mins it was like the Alamo and young Kerr was getting ripped apart down the left by Samaras but we eventually fought our way back into the game.

Thought Hately had a great game today and was unlucky with the penalty although big Forster psyched him out a bit with the hysteronics before the kick. Got a bit of abuse for missing it but I think it was general disappointment and not really aimed specifically at him.

Deflects from the fact that we were denied a stonewaller later on but as McCall said on Radio Clyde "You don't get two penalties at Parkhead"

Support from the fans was brilliant and good to see McCall and the players coming over to acknowledge the fact.

Considering some on here were predicting a pounding we done no too bad.

you can't be too hard on tom for the miss. i don't think anyone else in the team fancied it and it was a decent strike. you would always say go hard and low against big goalies but it was a decent effort.

it was an excellent performance with the usual kick in the balls that comes with supporting motherwell at the end. randolph and murphy were superb, lasley had a brilliant second half and fraser kerr dealt with samaras very well and i think he showed he's worth an extension on his loan. i was bit disapointed mccall didn't make any subs before they scored, both teams were struggling from about 70 mins onwards and the game was getting ridiculously stretched. it seemed like our entire team was posted missing at their goal but it wouldn't be like mccall to change anything before we lose a goal, he likes to wait until we're behind.

it was sad to see jamie leaving. you could see how much the club means to him and the affection the fans, the manager and his team mates have for him. he was class today and caused celtic plenty of problems, hopefully he keeps this form up in sheffield.

• Like 3