Celtic Vs Motherwell

Dave87

Yep, at least twice in the last couple of weeks I've read McCall termed as 'the wee Ranger' on here.

Saying that, no doubt there was a simular minority who jumped on McGhee for his Celtic connections

The irony being, of course, that a number of our more successful managers have had strong OF connections. It's pretty difficult to avoid in the small pond that is Scottish football.

Yep, at least twice in the last couple of weeks I've read McCall termed as 'the wee Ranger' on here.

Saying that, no doubt there was a simular minority who jumped on McGhee for his Celtic connections

Not exclusive to rangers connections, same for those with connections to celtic. Not sure if its the same folk?

As long as they are giving their all for Motherwell, I couldn't care less who they supported as a boy, played for before us, who their dad, brother, cousin played for....

I'd rather they didn't do double page spreads in the tabloids about it, but all publicity is good publicity, and the reality is, unless there is an OF angle to the story, the Scottish media ain't interested!

100% strike rate in the league last season. 0% so far in the league this term. Not sure about further back.

If memory serves we missed a spot kick in the Scottish cup tie vs Aberdeen last season. We scored one in the cup this season.

Cant remember how many we missed/scored in the league cup exit to hibs last year.

law and murphy missed in the shoot out. higdon, clancy, forbes, hateley, mchugh and hammell all scored.

it does seem like our team are feart of penalties. in that shoot out lasley was subbed so he didn't have to take one and law went 8th. these are two guys that play centre mid, are on the ball often and shoot and score from range but they won't take a free shot from 12 yards. murphy hit a great penalty against hibs a couple of years ago, tried the same one ten days later against odense and was unlucky to hit the post and now he clearly has a complex about them.

• Like 1

Not exclusive to rangers connections, same for those with connections to celtic. Not sure if its the same folk?

As long as they are giving their all for Motherwell, I couldn't care less who they supported as a boy, played for before us, who their dad, brother, cousin played for....

I'd rather they didn't do double page spreads in the tabloids about it, but all publicity is good publicity, and the reality is, unless there is an OF angle to the story, the Scottish media ain't interested!

I remember Kevin McBride being told by some halfwits to 'fuck off back to Parkhead' and being labelled a 'tarrier bastard' in a League Cup match against Morton at Cappielow back in 2004 in what was only his second game for the club or something and the clowns doing it were quickly told to belt up by those around them and quite rightly so.

It's not exclusive to players or managers with Rangers connections, however I tend to think such shouts like that one with McBride are shouted down by other fans far quicker than some of the bile shouted at Hateley, or so I've noticed anyway. They tend to be told to fuck off to Ibrox and that they are the reason why we are called Hvns without the fare etc.

Back to the soccer....

Gutted as anyone about the result and the way things unfolded however I don't think anyone has really acknowledged what I think is the most significant thing from yesterday - McCall's formation. He's often accused of having an inferiority complex when it comes to the Old Firm but to go three at the back at Parkhead was a very brave move. Similarly, dropping Higdon when we were already without the height of Hutchinson to deal with Mulgrew's set pieces was bold but seemed to have been a risk worth taking as it gave us that bit of extra pace up front.

I'd say those decisions show a huge step forward for McCall. I don't know if he is simply more willing to take a gamble now or whether he has more belief in the players, either way you've got to give credit where it's due.

I agree, he got the right balance of playing to our own strengths, without completely ignoring there's.

Couldn't argue with his reasoning on benching higdon; his lack of place, leaving him too far from midfield and isolating him, leading to long ball with nobody to knock it down for; definite improvement, and had we taken out chance, could have been a 1-0 victory.

As for Hately missing the pen, I certainly wasn't confident about us scoring it no matter who took it but after listening to the game on radio, they mentioned two Celtic players were booked in the lead up to it & they were up complaining the ball wasn't on the spot etc to put pressure on the taker

In fairness, a large part of that pressure situation could have easily been avoided by actually putting the ball on the spot. Yeah it put huge added pressure on him...but if you're blatantly going to do this:

ball.jpg

Then you have to accept what it's going to cause when it's beamed onto the 2 big screens at Parkhead. We might see it as petty, but the difference in distance isn't going to give you an advantage so why create that situation for yourself?

AM I in the minority here. I don't think it was such a great save. He guessed the right side that was all.

When did the rules change, as far as I was aware (no doubt I will be corrected).

The goalkeeper must remain perfectly still on the goal line until the ball is kicked. If he moves and saves it then the kick is retaken.

Forster takes a large step forward and too the side thus cutting down the angle just before the kick is taken.

I have noticed that goalkeepers seem to be getting away with this more and more.

I'm not too sure but I think that a Celtic player was encroaching(lovely word that) into the penalty area on the far side which would also mean that the kick would have to be retaken.

;) ;)

100% strike rate in the league last season. 0% so far in the league this term. Not sure about further back.

If memory serves we missed a spot kick in the Scottish cup tie vs Aberdeen last season. We scored one in the cup this season.

Cant remember how many we missed/scored in the league cup exit to hibs last year.

With the exception of Richie Foran, Kevin McBride and Ged Brannan who were regular/semi regular penalty takers at one point and only missed one between the three of them - Foran at Tynecastle in a 0-0 draw in 2005 - we have always been pretty chronic from the spot. Tommy Coyne, the best striker I've ever seen at the club in my time, missed quite a few, Owen Coyle near enough hit the roof of the Cooper against St.johnstone and missed a couple more and who could forget Willie Falconer's awful effort against Killie in his debut? He also missed one against Alloa in a League Cup shootout defeat.

The most galling thing about our penalty woes down the years is that they tend to always cost us points/cup ties with the odd exception here and there.

With the exception of Richie Foran, Kevin McBride and Ged Brannan who were regular/semi regular penalty takers at one point and only missed one between the three of them - Foran at Tynecastle in a 0-0 draw in 2005 - we have always been pretty chronic from the spot. Tommy Coyne, the best striker I've ever seen at the club in my time, missed quite a few, Owen Coyle near enough hit the roof of the Cooper against St.johnstone and missed a couple more and who could forget Willie Falconer's awful effort against Killie in his debut? He also missed one against Alloa in a League Cup shootout defeat.

The most galling thing about our penalty woes down the years is that they tend to always cost us points/cup ties with the odd exception here and there.

We have had plenty of good penalty takers over the years from Brian McLaughlin to Davie Cooper. I would bet, if you look at the stats, our record is fairly average for the SPL, but not as dire as some people make out.

We have had plenty of good penalty takers over the years from Brian McLaughlin to Davie Cooper. I would bet, if you look at the stats, our record is fairly average for the SPL, but not as dire as some people make out.

Fair enough, though I was mostly referring to my own time watching 'Well which goes back to 1990 and you're right Cooper was pretty reliable. McLaughlin was before my time.

I think a lot of the feeling that we are as poor from the spot stems from the fact that, as I said, when we miss it tends to end up costing us. In recent times that's certainly been the case.

To be fair Higdons record isn't bad. Generally stikes them well.

Don't remember Sutton missing many too (apart from the one he had to rehit for no reason vs Flamutari).

To be fair Higdons record isn't bad. Generally stikes them well.

Don't remember Sutton missing many too (apart from the one he had to rehit for no reason vs Flamutari).

Did he not miss against Dundee Utd at Fir Park in 2008? Or was that Porter? It was in a game that finished 1-1 early in 08/09 if anyone can remember.

Edit: it was Porter, I just checked.

One guy I forgot who had a 100% record for us was Shaun Teale, surprisingly for a centre half. Burn Broomfield just beat me to that.

Did he not miss against Dundee Utd at Fir Park in 2008? Or was that Porter? It was in a game that finished 1-1 early in 08/09 if anyone can remember.

Porter. That was Suttons debut I think and he got our goal in that game.

AM I in the minority here. I don't think it was such a great save. He guessed the right side that was all.

When did the rules change, as far as I was aware (no doubt I will be corrected).

The goalkeeper must remain perfectly still on the goal line until the ball is kicked. If he moves and saves it then the kick is retaken.

Forster takes a large step forward and too the side thus cutting down the angle just before the kick is taken.

I have noticed that goalkeepers seem to be getting away with this more and more.

I'm not too sure but I think that a Celtic player was encroaching(lovely word that) into the penalty area on the far side which would also mean that the kick would have to be retaken.

;) ;)

Forster guessed right and was on his way before Hateley kicked the ball, telegraphed where he was putting it unfortunately.

Very happy with the performance at Parkhead

BTW, both Nijholt and Teale had strong psyches and were tough as nails. When everybody else's bottle is crashing you could rely on them to not be affected and to pull everyone together. Don't wish to cast aspersions on the bottle of the current squad, but we lack guys like that

We've not had someone like that in the team since Scott Leitch IMO. Someone who could grab the rest by the scruff of the neck and get them scrapping for everything going.

Hateley had the balls to step up for it I'll give him that. I hope it was more 'senority' than Ojamaa not fancying it that helped that decision. Either way Henrik/Higdon for the rest of the season. In that order. Higdon has missed two by my reckoning. Hardly a shite record but thr good thing about Ojamaa is no SPL keeper knows his 'favourite' side etc. yet.

Slightly off topic but one of the best penalty takers I have ever seen (bar Shearer and Balotelli who never seem to miss) was Steve Bruce. That guy knew how to stick them away.

Hateley had the balls to step up for it I'll give him that. I hope it was more 'senority' than Ojamaa not fancying it that helped that decision. Either way Henrik/Higdon for the rest of the season. In that order. Higdon has missed two by my reckoning. Hardly a shite record but thr good thing about Ojamaa is no SPL keeper knows his 'favourite' side etc. yet.

Slightly off topic but one of the best penalty takers I have ever seen (bar Shearer and Balotelli who never seem to miss) was Steve Bruce. That guy knew how to stick them away.

Shearer was the ultimate penalty taker for me. His spot kicks were always dispatched high and precise into the top corner with sheer power giving the keeper no chance whatsoever. That is the way that penalties should be struck in my view.