Vs Dundee Utd

GazzyB

Cruel irony this game was in midweek because of the pointless winter break, when weather was very mild for the time of year!

:lol:

Shame for any united fans making another wasted trip! Could argue if it was in enough doubt after 1st inspection, why did they leave decision so late?

Absolutely crazy decision to have a winter break, let alone a pointless 2 week break. If we're going to have a winter break it should be from November to March!

More I think about it, with the weather deteriorating and given the travel time and travel conditions, if it was in doubt earlier, why wait until 2 hrs befor KO?

Sometimes I think games are called off hastily, when conditions are improving, suppose its a tricky one, but conditions today were bad and getting worse.

More I think about it, with the weather deteriorating and given the travel time and travel conditions, if it was in doubt earlier, why wait until 2 hrs befor KO?

Sometimes I think games are called off hastily, when conditions are improving, suppose its a tricky one, but conditions today were bad and getting worse.

To be fair, 2 hours before KO is not bad notice and not the worst for those coming from Dundee. I imagine most would have left around half 5 so they'll be back in the house about half 6/7.

I've got a lot of sympathy for the people that have to make these decisions. Nine times out of ten it's lose lose.

To be fair, 2 hours before KO is not bad notice and not the worst for those coming from Dundee. I imagine most would have left around half 5 so they'll be back in the house about half 6/7.

I've got a lot of sympathy for the people that have to make these decisions. Nine times out of ten it's lose lose.

I agree with that.

Just unfortunate I suppose. Despite it being a honking night, I was quite looking forward to it.

Although, I still don't see how they thought there would be a great improvement after initial inspection?

Not blaming motherwell, costs them money, and makes them look bad, so they'd have wanted it on.

They should have just played the game tomorrow night as originally scheduled. Seemed pointless moving it anyway and the explanation given was flimsy at best, but hey, it's only the fans that have been fucked about.

Think of Utd fans who booked buses for the Wednesday and were then told 11 days ago that the match had been moved, they had to rearrange their transport to tonight. Then they get hit with this. Another example of clubs taking their fans for granted. No other type of entertainment treats their paying customers as badly as football does.

• Like 2

even if the the pitch was fine the weather tonight is awful and trying to play football in it would be pointless

finger crossed it won't take too long before it is rearranged

Amen to that. All day I'd felt that we'd really struggle tonight due to the conditions and that it had all the makings of a dire, turgid affair with us losing late on.

Look on the bright side, at least when we do play this fixture then hopefully McNamara's honeymoon period is over, the weather is better and we get the result we want. Got to be positive I suppose. :)

Tad concerning that the drainage isn't working again at the same old spot.

Game should be rearranged for tomorrow night. Dundee Utd shoukdn't be able to pick and choose when it's played in order to aid their Scottish Cup preparation.

No doubt it'll end up getting arranged for a big Champions League night.

• Like 1

Amen to that. All day I'd felt that we'd really struggle tonight due to the conditions and that it had all the makings of a dire, turgid affair with us losing late on.

Look on the bright side, at least when we do play this fixture then hopefully McNamara's honeymoon period is over, the weather is better and we get the result we want. Got to be positive I suppose. :)

And Randolph was a doubt for tonight likely he will be fit for rearranged fixture.

• Like 1

Cruel irony this game was in midweek because of the pointless winter break, when weather was very mild for the time of year!

:lol:

Absolutely crazy decision to have a winter break, let alone a pointless 2 week break. If we're going to have a winter break it should be from November to March!

I quite like the break and thought they got the timing of it just about right coming as it did after the first game of the New Year.

What I do think they need to look at is how they package it. It perhaps may sound trivial but think the league need to make a clear distinction that it's a mid-season break and not a winter break.

Call it a winter break and it gives the impression they are somehow trying to dodge the worst of the winter. All that does is leave themselves open to criticism and mirth of exactly the kind kmmfc has posted. And for that matter its spot on, you simply can't pinpoint when the worst of the weather will be.

If however you can sell it to people as being an opportunity for supporters to give their wallet a rest for a couple of weeks after the expensive Christmas period that's just passed, for pitches to be worked on and clubs spared the costs of running undersoil heating for two weeks of the winter, for players to recover from niggly injuries they may be carrying or to re-charge their batteries in preparation for the latter part of the season and give clubs the opportunity if they have the means and the desire to go to warmer climes for training camps, then it might be perceived differently.

In terms of tonight, not overly disappointed at the postponement I have to be honest. With a few variables in there like whether Randy would play? How Utd might react post-Houston and pre-MacNamara and the potential for some wind assisted freakery or an early resignation that none of them want to take a chance and they all settle for 0-0 early on (like the 0-0 played out in the midst of another gale force wind last season), then all things considered I can live with the call off tonight.

Was also pleased to get wind early enough that I didn't buy a train ticket or board a train to Motherwell from the town and was able to get home with no extra expense incurred.

• Like 1

Think of Utd fans who booked buses for the Wednesday and were then told 11 days ago that the match had been moved, they had to rearrange their transport to tonight. Then they get hit with this. Another example of clubs taking their fans for granted. No other type of entertainment treats their paying customers as badly as football does.

Spot on. Yet it's a myth that fans keep coming back for more. Attendances are proving otherwise.

Tad concerning that the drainage isn't working again at the same old spot.

Has anyone said that? Could just be that the rain hadn't gone off long enough for it to drain, bearing in mind it has rained almost relentlessly and heavily since about 3pm on Saturday. Our bowling green has a fantastic draining system but it will only kick in once the rain actuially stops falling; would then be playable within a couple of hours and have a dry top coat within about four. Now that it has been dry for five hours if it is still waterlogged I'd be more concerned but at 5-530pm when the rain had just gone off I doubt you could say with a dgeree of certainty the drains were gubbed.

• Like 2

Has anyone said that? Could just be that the rain hadn't gone off long enough for it to drain, bearing in mind it has rained almost relentlessly and heavily since about 3pm on Saturday. Our bowling green has a fantastic draining system but it will only kick in once the rain actuially stops falling; would then be playable within a couple of hours and have a dry top coat within about four. Now that it has been dry for five hours if it is still waterlogged I'd be more concerned but at 5-530pm when the rain had just gone off I doubt you could say with a dgeree of certainty the drains were gubbed.

What he said, once its saturated it needs time to filter through. FFS the drains were running 6 inches wide at 4pm.

Personally glad its off, under the weather last few days, was making effort to take kids!

Might have been on the wrong end of a backlash with manager departing (with Hegarty in charge, would happily have sat in the pishing rain nude, to see Wiggy get right royally pumped off of us).

Hopefully, rescheduled for a balmy spring evening!!

• 2 weeks later...

Game now to be played on Tuesday 19th February.

I wish, and I reckon Motherwell probably do also, that they hadn't moved the original game from the Wednesday to the Tuesday as we will now have to play 3 games in 8 days.

The whole idea of shifting the original game was to allow the players rest was it not?!?!