To The Board At Motherwell Football Club

nethertonwellfan

Very much agree with what Well Well had to say earlier in the thread. Let's try and keep a level head and see what the club has to say.

For me, this crystalises the Society's involvement in decision making at the club - in this instance and beyond - and I think a few of you are in for a surprise if you think that the club is going to consult the fans every time an important decision has to be made. We have a chief executive and a board of directors who are handsomely paid to do that.

While I agree that it's great that the club will eventually be owned by us the fans, we really need to get away from this decision making by committee mentality. It's unrealistic, niave, simply won't work and thankfully won't happen. The board have done a good job for us the fans; and we should be enabling them to do their job properly not questioning every move / statement they make.

No one is saying that they want a say in how much to pay mccall, whether to offer ramsden a new contract, who should supply the strips or anything like that. However when it's an issue as big as wiping points which would be the biggest change in the history of scottish football or splitting after 22 games which would have a huge effect on fans then we should be consulted.

Also as long as the current directors want to use the society's money to underwrite their running of the club while investing no funds of their own i'd say they are obliged to take the society's view into account.

I may be giving Doncaster and the SPL too much credit, but I think the ridiculous league structure may be a deliberate ploy to scupper the other more important issues which are also on the table. When it gets to the vote they will then say they've listened to the fans, that way the SPL and the financial structure stays as is.

I don't trust Doncaster or Regan to deliver and can't believe they've survived the summer debacle without even a vote of confidence. That should have been the first item on any agendas then with someone who knows what they're fucking doing in position we could maybe sit down and have a meaningful discussion about the future of the game.

The way things stand, any suggestion coming out of any meeting was always going to be a pigs ear of a plan designed to create more money to spend on players wages and fuck the supporters over. I'll not be attending any meeting to be told how this is a good thing for us cos Neil says so, if it's a meeting to garner opinion it might be worthwhile but all I read is how they are going to explain their reasons for backing this plan and I'm afraid that is very much a case of closing the stable door after yer nag has bolted. Been there before, Doncaster himself was at one meeting where he constantly told us how finances were restrictive to any proposal put to him, without hesitating to try and take on board what was being said to him. Pre-conceived agendas do not make for an open and constructive meeting.

• Like 2

1359403356[/url]' post='372783']

but this 8-8-8 stuff will probably turn me into a pay at the gate punter, which was pretty unthinkable before now. This isn't a "ah'll no be back" toys out the pram job as I'll still go, it's just that the level of uncertainty about who we'll be playing, when and where will make it better sense for me not to commit up front.

I don't doubt that the people running the club have it's best interest at heart, I know it's early days for the 'Well Society and I don't expect a consultation on every decision - but something that affects all fans as this does should have been a no-brainer and should have been consulted on weeks ago.

My sentiment exactly, it's getting harder for me to justify the money and I am totally against the structure proposed it will strangle the game even more. Falling out of love for the game and the way fans are treated is pathetic this may be a bridge to far for me when renewing but it will still patg just more selective of games.

As for the well society it just seems I have gave them a donation of money.

Just received an email from the 'Well Society:

After discussion last night with Leeann Dempster, we can now confirm a Well Society members meeting will be held this Saturday, 2nd February at 1pm in the Centenary Suite, Fir Park Stadium.

Representatives from the board of the club of the club will take part in discussions around league reconstruction where you'll be able to ask them directly about the proposed new format.

What I don't get about all of this is that each chairman has been on the news is saying the same thing that this must be done to save our game and that no change will be a disaster for the future of our game.

I'm of the opinion that the only way forward is an 18 team league, but that's out the window.

So they have come up with this cluster fuck of a proposition and SPL clubs are swaying towards it, but why?

The problems of our game are cost and apathy.

• Too many people in Scotland have no interest in our national game and the reason is that our league is always going to be won by 1 of 2 teams.
  • The cost to go to an SPL match is far too expensive and many people just can't afford it.

The first point could be fixed if we stopped giving all the money to the old firm - the second point has not even been addressed.

But by changing our league to some 12-12-18 farce is somehow going to make the whole thing better? Don't think so.

• Like 1

The problem for me is that the board are now going to 'discuss' this ridiculous proposal after already deciding that that want to go through with it. Not much of a discussion there.

Also, surely a discussion involving other proposals such as a 16 team league would be more beneficial as the pros and cons of all the possibilities could be debated by both the SPL clubs and the respective fans groups. Instead,everything has been written off other than this nonsense 8-8-8 structure, that 99% of fans are against, simply because it guarantees 4 'old firm' games when The Rangers make it to the top league again.

I'm pretty scunnered with the whole scenario and I'm sure many people feel the same, so essentially the proposed cure for the current apathy in Scottish football is actually creating more.

The problem for me is that the board are now going to 'discuss' this ridiculous proposal after already deciding that that want to go through with it. Not much of a discussion there.

Go through with what? Has anybody on here actually heard what "in principle backing this and taking it to the next stage" means?

What exactly is the next stage? And what exactly is being backed? How many stages are there? What issues have been discussed? And "in principle" as far as I know, means there are loads of things that still need to be agreed on.

So far, I have heard the square root of hee haw. If anyone has anything different I wish they would share.

Go through with what? Has anybody on here actually heard what "in principle backing this and taking it to the next stage" means?

What exactly is the next stage? And what exactly is being backed? How many stages are there? What issues have been discussed? And "in principle" as far as I know, means there are loads of things that still need to be agreed on.

So far, I have heard the square root of hee haw. If anyone has anything different I wish they would share.

This is from the Motherwell FC statement.

There was no formal vote today however as a club, we indicated our support to the SPL Executive to progress discussions with the SFL.

It is now our intention to share what we heard today with our supporters so we can have the same discussion and outline why it is our view this is the best option for the game at this time.

The bit I've highlighted says it all for me.

This is nothing more than an excercise to tell us why they are supporting it and allow us to let off a bit of steam.

As far as I understand it, the 'next stage' is passing it over to the SFL clubs to make their decision.

As the board's statement makes clear they have already decided this is what they think is best for the game at this time, the meeting on Saturday is for them to outline to supporters why (& hopefully how) they have come to this decision.

"There was no formal vote today however as a club, we indicated our support to the SPL Executive to progress discussions with the SFL."

Now I might be wrong but in my opinion you do not give your support for discussions to be progressed if you do not agree with what is being put forward. And since it has previously been stated by Doncaster that the only viable proposal is the 8-8-8 structure (and as such that is the only one being discussed) I think it's fair to come to the conclusion that our board support the 8-8-8 structure.

I suspect that they either promised sky a rejig to make the league more interesting or they are worried about espn fucking off at the end of the season when their epl and rugby deals end and they aren't confident about being taken on by bt when there is guaranteed to be no title race and more than likely no relegation battle.

Surprisingly, coming from a clusterfuck of self preservation this could be the quickest route to flirting with lower league football many of us have seen for many a year.

Say you had a very small squad. Got a bunch of injuries to key players resulting in a slip down the table and a joust with a bunch of teams fighting to stay in the top 12 or fighting to come up.

This proposal is so bad, I can barely find the fucking words to describe it. It's perhaps the death knell we've been striving for

The best way to give other teams a chance of catching Celtic throughout the season is by expanding the league, and only playing a team twice in the season.

This coupled with the point of only visiting a ground once a season has a better chance of getting the punters in the door for both home and away fans.

• Like 2

To me the whole thing seems to be pinned on the hope that there will be "meaningful" games that will prove attractive to TV companies.

That's it really.

The rest is simply a means to that end.

yes.gif Without a shadow of doubt this has been the one and only REAL concern for the SPL including our club. However as previously stated I await to hear the reasoning behind the decision to support the proposals. If it is anything other than the above i will be shocked to the core.

Most of our money comes from the TV deal without it we are dead. We cannot sustain the first team wages on season ticket and gate money alone. No matter how much cloth we cut we would never survive without it, without TV money and even moving to part time football the wages of the club players, staff,etc and all the stadium upkeep costs will still be huge. The £400k would be gone in half a season.