To The Board At Motherwell Football Club

nethertonwellfan

The thing that I can't get my head round, is that every single decision they make revolves around getting as good a TV deal as they can possibly get for the games, and then if we stay at home and watch them, we're in the wrong.

The whole thing's fucking mental.

As I suspected, Doncaster may have been a little economical with the truth.

From The Scotsman

St Mirren chairman Stewart Gilmour has admitted that his own board are split on league reconstruction plans and need more details before formally voting for a 12-12-18 structure, while the proposal could also be diverted off course by SFL clubs, many of whom are now believed to favour a 12-12-10-10 model.

Scottish Premier League chief executive Neil Doncaster claimed on Monday after a meeting at Hampden that the 12 top-flight clubs had given their “unanimous backing” to move forward with the plans, which will now be debated by SFL clubs tomorrow. St Mirren and Motherwell have both arranged a meeting of supporters in the coming days to explain plans for a merged 12-12-18 league structure, but nothing has been decided yet and the Paisley club’s board will present their feelings to fans and listen to views at a meeting at St Mirren Park at 7pm tomorrow.

In a statement, Gilmour said: “I would wish to clarify that contrary to some media reports, no formal vote was taken although the clubs have agreed unanimously to take this proposal forward to the SFL.”

“We as a club and many other clubs will not vote until we know exactly what is on the table in front of us, this will not be clear until discussion between the SFL clubs takes place and they take their view on this proposal.”

The justification given on Saturday will more than likely purely revolve around what Sky is prepared to offer moving forward. They want 4 Old firm games when the counterfeit h**s replace the deceased ones. I'm sure the multiple split scenario gives them some misguided notion that there will be some mega exciting games around either side of the splits.

Sky is the answer

St Mirren chairman Stewart Gilmour has admitted that his own board are split on league reconstruction plans and need more details before formally voting for a 12-12-18 structure, while the proposal could also be diverted off course by SFL clubs, many of whom are now believed to favour a 12-12-10-10 model.

Jesus wept, this gets dafter and dafter. SFL were meant to be our saviours.

:doh:

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere recently that this 'new system' had been tried in Switzerland for a few seasons but was then abandoned in favour of their previous league st-up. In other words it failed! So why are we so hells fire intent on bringing in a system that has already been discredited?

I just can't get my head around the zeroing of points half way through as season. What happened to good old fashioned league football? Honestly we would be as well moving to an NFL format. Someone other than Celtic might actually be able to call themselves "the Champions" that way :doh: .

What happened to good old fashioned league football?

I think what happened was, fans bitched and moaned about a 20 team league being too big with too many pointless games, so they switched to a smaller format, which fans bitched and moaned about because they got bored going to the same grounds, so they expanded that a bit, and fans still bitched and moaned about there not being enough variety, so the clubs are telling fans that they're going to stop listening to their moans and go with what they think is best.

I still don't see whats fundamentally wrong with the current system, to be quite honest. Bash a playoff for 11th and the 2nd/3rd/4th of the 1st division and you're sorted.

Folk wanting a 16 team league right now aren't really helping things, as that's simply not a viable option for the SPL clubs. They'll be budgeted for the next few years and chopping out a quarter of a million from your budget from one year to the next is a huge amount, especially for a club like ours. A decision like that would cause serious financial ramifications for all SPL clubs as they have less home fixtures, so less income and a more stretched TV deal as it is shared with four other clubs.

Not to say that I think the proposal makes sense, I'm more or less on the fence about it, as if it financially benefits us and does lead to further competition then that's grand. I'm not convinced it will, but in any league structure, there will always be meaningless games, so using that as a stick to bash it is kind of pointless.

If we decide we're going to a 16 team league, we need a 2/3/4/5 year grace period, to allow clubs to structure themselves accordingly and budget effectively to allow them to be able to take the hit on fewer league games and a smaller TV pot.

Obviously, a shift towards more fan focused football is what we all want to see, cheaper football is something we all want to see, a Fir Park more than half full is what we all want to see. This new structure isn't going to provide any of these things, by my guessing (and that's entirely what it is), and trying to implement it this quickly is decidedly poor planning on everyone's behalf.

[/size]

This plus one governing body and a fairer distribution of cash would satisfy 90% of fans.

Yeah, also that.

One body to rule them all.

One that isn't full of tubes, preferably, but there's probably wiggle room on that.

Anyway I'm too young to have been one of the ones moaning about the 20 team league, It's all they auld bastards out there that done that :whistling: .

I see where you're coming from it's the whole 8/8/8 split that gets on my goat most of all. I could live with the 12 leagues as a starting point if it meant that income distribution was fairer, a single league body was formed and voting structures were changed that provided a more democratic structure. On that basis I would accept12/12/18 and then when could argue from within that for a larger league and anything else that needed changed could be adopted without being vetoed by 2 clubs.

However, this 8/8/8 is madness and I will never accept points being wiped out half way through a season providing a league structure that means you're a couple of points away from European qualification but suddenly you find yourself in a relegation battle. You could be a mile clear of the chasing pack in the second tier and then half way through the season you're points get wiped and you need to start again. That aspect of the proposal is the reason why this whole package should be rejected.

The issues the fans are talking about are:

Too many chiefs SPL, SFL, SFA

Distribution of wealth

Pricing

Summer football

Repetive fixture list

More promotion and relegation opportunities (helps with above)

Changes to fixture schedules for TV

Safe standing areas

Basically everything they don't discuss when they go to hampden!

Anyway I'm too young to have been one of the ones moaning about the 20 team league, It's all they auld bastards out there that done that :whistling: .

It's good, eh, we can blame not us for plenty. :lol:

I see where you're coming from it's the whole 8/8/8 split that gets on my goat most of all. I could live with the 12 leagues as a starting point if it meant that income distribution was fairer, a single league body was formed and voting structures were changed that provided a more democratic structure. On that basis I would accept12/12/18 and then when could argue from within that for a larger league and anything else that needed changed could be adopted without being vetoed by 2 clubs.

Aye, pretty much. Sensible evolution of the model we're in now makes far more sense to me than tearing the whole thing up. This season has been great, despite folk claiming that it is 'ridiculous' almost every season since its inception, I like the current split, and while not every season, in a bunch of them it has worked, and keeps interest up until the end of the season.

Also true.

Here's a few of my alternative proposals for anyone attending:

Single overseeing body (without won't include Doncaster) that represents fans

16 team top tier

Equitable split of TV money

50/50 gate receipts for cup ties

4 week break in January

3pm Saturday or 7:30pm Midweek kickoffs

Terracing

Cap on gate prices

And if the financials mean that short term we operate at First Division level, then so be it.

so you want us to reduce the number of league games, get rid of the tv deal and reduce prices?

as i've said before if fans want to watch teams with no money there are plenty of amatuer and junior teams out there who will satisfy their every need (they might not have websites though).

so you want us to reduce the number of league games, get rid of the tv deal and reduce prices?

as i've said before if fans want to watch teams with no money there are plenty of amatuer and junior teams out there who will satisfy their every need (they might not have websites though).

Far too sensible a post.

I guess I'm one Motherwell fan who has decided to follow this path. In the last two or three years I have been attending fewer and fewer games. I've only made it up for two home games and one away this year. This is compared to maybe seven or eight games by this time last year.

The reasons for this have been debated over and over again on this site for years. I intended to join the Well Society. I filled the forms in and then never sent them. I wasn't sure why I didn't send them and still feel a sense of guilt about not helping the club I love.

I came to a decision though and instead, I have decided to invest more in my local club.

Why? Because I can stand up at the game next to my mates and I can talk football in the clubhouse with the players and those who run the club. Hell, I can even sneak into the social club for a halftime pint and the local friendly plod turn a blind eye and after I've had a pint, the local, friendly steward lets me back in.

I will always be grateful for a poster on here taking me to my first Motherwell game many years ago but I've decided I now get more enjoyment out of watching another team.

I still don't see whats fundamentally wrong with the current system, to be quite honest. Bash a playoff for 11th and the 2nd/3rd/4th of the 1st division and you're sorted.

What's fundamentally wrong is as follows :)

The split.

The split means that we don't play each team an equal number of times.

The split also means that the SPL has to guess who will be in the top 6 next season to try and make the schedule 'fair'

'Fair' ends up meaning the OF teams get the advantage when it comes to fixtures.

Playoffs are also fundamentally unfair in a league situation. The premise behind a league is that a team accumulates a number of points over the course of a season. If I finish 2nd in the First Division, I have proved that I am a better team than the team that finished 4th. Why should I then be subjected to the lottery of a play-off to prove that again? One dodgy refereeing decision, or one unlucky break in a playoff final and, despite the fact I may have finished 20 points ahead of 4th place, I'm out of luck.

Playoffs were created purely for the purposes of television. Exciting they may be. Fair they are not.

The current TV deal? Yes, if that's what it takes to get rid of this ridiculous 8-8 reset points to zero split. I tell you what, though. I guarantee that if we we went for a 16 team league that had both the OF in it, the TV deal would not disappear.

There are teams in the First Division that pay transfer fees for players. We even used to do it ourselves when we were down there. Lack of TV does not equate to zero cash.

If the current proposals succeed, amateur football might be all we have left in a couple of years.