Who's Making The Top Six?

Stu

My dream (but still realistic) ending to the season would be Motherwell finishing second with ICT and Ross County finishing 3rd and 4th with all three clubs getting into Europe thanks to Celtic winning the cup.

Except that cannot happen. The runners up in the Scottish Cup final will take the 4th european spot, so only 2nd and 3rd guaranteed European football.

1363467288[/url]' post='377039']

The scores since my guesses now mean that my prediction is

'Well 56

ICT 50

County 48

Utd 46

St J 45 pts

Interestingly of the 10 games that have been played since then involving the teams vying for top six I got 5 of the results wrong - thats why i dont gamble

With Utd dropping points, the rest of my predictions sees them edged out of the top 6 by Killie on goal difference. I now have 6 of 11 predictions wrong!

The cup winners go into Europa league at 3rd rnd stage, SPL 2nd and 3rd will start at 2nd round

What happens if Celtic win the cup & the runners up take the Europa place?

Surely they don't go in a round after the team finishing 2nd in the league? I really hope not.

1363551428[/url]' post='377135']

What happens if Celtic win the cup & the runners up take the Europa place?

Surely they don't go in a round after the team finishing 2nd in the league? I really hope not.

No the European slots are awarded on merit, champions first then cup winners but if these are the same the cup runners up take the 4th best slot, does that make sense?

1363552670[/url]' post='377138']

Was there not talk about the runners up not getting the euro spot a couple of years ago after Gretna and Queens were runners up?

There was but uefa insist on one place being won through the cup

With Utd dropping points, the rest of my predictions sees them edged out of the top 6 by Killie on goal difference. I now have 6 of 11 predictions wrong!

Interesting set of fixtures the weekend of March 30th/Apr 1st I wouldn't touch these with a barge pole at the bookies!

Hibs V Caley

County V Killie

St J V Dundee Utd

edit: In fact I'm not even sure i know who I want to win but I think it's Hibs, Killie and StJ. Although i'd rather not see Killie make it into the top 6.

another edit: Make that Hibs, Killie and Dundee utd. TOLD YOU i wasn't sure!

Interesting set of fixtures the weekend of March 30th/Apr 1st I wouldn't touch these with a barge pole at the bookies!

Hibs V Caley

County V Killie

St J V Dundee Utd

edit: In fact I'm not even sure i know who I want to win but I think it's Hibs, Killie and StJ. Although i'd rather not see Killie make it into the top 6.

another edit: Make that Hibs, Killie and Dundee utd. TOLD YOU i wasn't sure!

Draws all round for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Theses are the outstanding SPL pre splt fixtures.....and possible total points tally.

We have,St Midden home 53 points 56 possible 71

ICT have ,StJ home 50 53 68

RCFC have Tarts away 45 48 63

St J Arabs home, ICT away 44 50 65

Killie have ,St Midden h,Dundee h 41 47 62

Sheep have ,Arabs away 41 44 59

Hivs have ,Smeltic away 40 43 58

Arabs have StJ away,Sheep home 40 46 61

So with the top 6 all but confirmed, how do we see the fixtures panning out?

Unsure of home and away game totals as it stands for all teams, by my reckoning we have (in no particular order) Celtic (a), ICT (a), County (h), St. Johnstone (a), Kilmarnock (h).

No additional revenue raised with a visit of them along the M74...

It's a poor top-six in terms of travelling support for us. If things run in sequence for us, which there's no guarantee they will, our fixtures should be, by my reckoning:

April 20th - Ross County (H)

April 27th - St Johnstone (A)

May 4th - Kilmarnock (H)

May 11th - Inverness (A)

May 18th - Celtic (A)

Having said that, they have messed about with the order before but that is the order we have faced these teams in so far this season. If it pans out like that, the Inverness game on the 11th could be massive.

are the fixtures not totally screwed because all the diddy teams have finished in the top 6?

for eg - If it were to be based on who has played who already home and away, Celtic would only be playing Killie away, and the other 5 games at home?

and probably for the first time since the split came into effect, no "big" teams in there to help boost the attendances and put money into the kitty - I cant see any of those teams bringing a big support to Fir Park - maybe the South Stand has been used for the last time this season!

re the Scottish Cup - i was under the impression that Celtic winning it would help us too, thought they changed the rules about the runners up after the Dunfermline(?), QoS and Gretna games

I thought.........if you win it, you have gained European Qualification.

If Celtic win the cup and win the league - you take the higher place, which in this case is the league, as it gets you into the Champ Lge - then the European spot allocated to the Scottish Cup is then passed to the league (this never used to happen, the runners up got it)

I 'think' the Scottish Cup holds a higher place than that of the league standing - therefore whoever gets this spot, enters at a later stage. Not sure how the Scottish co-efficient looks now after Scotland losing its Champ Lge place

Another angle..........if it were a Motherwell v Celtic final, Celtic win the league and we finish 2nd, and they won the cup - we would be allocated the Cup place as it has a higher standing than finishing 2nd. And our 2nd place spot would go to 3rd, and 3rd would go to 4th

Not sure if that is correct or I have explained it well!!!!! lol

So someone feel free to correct me!

So with the top 6 all but confirmed, how do we see the fixtures panning out?

Unsure of home and away game totals as it stands for all teams, by my reckoning we have (in no particular order) Celtic (a), ICT (a), County (h), St. Johnstone (a), Kilmarnock (h).

No additional revenue raised with a visit of them along the M74...

There is still 4 teams that can get the 6th spot, so it's hardly all but confirmed.

re the Scottish Cup - i was under the impression that Celtic winning it would help us too, thought they changed the rules about the runners up after the Dunfermline(?), QoS and Gretna games

I thought.........if you win it, you have gained European Qualification.

If Celtic win the cup and win the league - you take the higher place, which in this case is the league, as it gets you into the Champ Lge - then the European spot allocated to the Scottish Cup is then passed to the league (this never used to happen, the runners up got it)

I 'think' the Scottish Cup holds a higher place than that of the league standing - therefore whoever gets this spot, enters at a later stage. Not sure how the Scottish co-efficient looks now after Scotland losing its Champ Lge place

Another angle..........if it were a Motherwell v Celtic final, Celtic win the league and we finish 2nd, and they won the cup - we would be allocated the Cup place as it has a higher standing than finishing 2nd. And our 2nd place spot would go to 3rd, and 3rd would go to 4th

Not sure if that is correct or I have explained it well!!!!! lol

So someone feel free to correct me!

We tried to get that system in place but UEFA told us they needed at least one European place from the Cup. Nae idea what would've happened if it was an Old Firm final back when we had 2 CL places tho.

There is still 4 teams that can get the 6th spot, so it's hardly all but confirmed.

Kilmarnock have a game in hand at home, then play the bottom team in the league and and have what looks like an unassailable goal difference (unless something bizarre happens) so you'd have to imagine they are strong favourites.

Hibs haven't won an away match in the league since November so 3 points at Celtic Park seems unlikely and Aberdeen and Dundee Utd play each other so only one of them can win.

No the European slots are awarded on merit, champions first then cup winners but if these are the same the cup runners up take the 4th best slot, does that make sense?

Does that mean then that if Celtic win the cup then the 4th best European slot ie EL 2nd qualifying will go to Hibs or Falkirk...in which case SPL 3rd would take the other round 2 place and SPL 2nd ie Motherwell would enter at Q3 ?