3 Points Vs Inverness Or 3 Points V Celtic

CoF

It can't be overstated how massive yesterday's win was for us, not only in the chase for 2nd place but in the chase for the huge jump in prize money which I imagine could give us complete financial stability for next season. However, I wonder how many would trade yesterdays 3 points for a win against Celtic at Parkhead the other week?

The reason I ask about the Celtic points is because I sometimes think that a win against Rangers or Celtic is the only thing, in a minority of peoples eyes, which would truly convince them of Mccall's ability even if it came at the cost of league places.

Mccall is consistent (as can be expected in such a tight league) against teams around us and I personally wouldn't trade that for anything. Would 3rd place and a couple of wins over Celtic be viewed as a more successful season to some people than 2nd place and wins over ICT? I genuinely think the massive 'instant high' of beating the old firm is something some people would prefer.

Thoughts?

what question you asking the one in the title or the one in the post?

in the title two games which one would I want 3points from?, I'd take 3 points v Celtic, because there is a stigma hanging over the club that needs destroyed and can only be for the good going forward

but the question in the thread about choosing one result to deliver 2nd or 3rd in the league? well I'd choose 2nd in the league

It's one of those weird things.

I want celtic (and rangers) to lose every week, but in reality any points they drop are points gained by one of our rivals.

Can we have 4 points? Draw with utd, then beat celtic!!

:lol:

Looming at the bigger picture, a win over Dundee united is more important, as I expect them to be one of the clubs we're battling in the last few games of the season for 2nd, 3rd, 4th.... with 2-11 so tight in the table, a 6 point cushion at 10pm on Tuesday would be great!!

what question you asking the one in the title or the one in the post?

in the title two games which one would I want 3points from?, I'd take 3 points v Celtic, because there is a stigma hanging over the club that needs destroyed and can only be for the good going forward

but the question in the thread about choosing one result to deliver 2nd or 3rd in the league? well I'd choose 2nd in the league

Sorry, it's not meant to be two seperate questions. I just haven't worded my post very well.

It's mainly to do with the fact that a few wins against the old firm can buy managers much much more time than consistently good (albiet less exciting) results against teams around us. Case in point: yesterdays game.

I think what I'm really asking is: Would Mccall be held in higher regard by some if were sitting in 3rd having defeated Celtic but failed to beat ICT?

The reason I ask about the Celtic points is because I sometimes think that a win against Rangers or Celtic is the only thing, in a minority of peoples eyes, which would truly convince them of Mccall's ability even if it came at the cost of league places.

I'd approach this from a different angle.

I'd say we are jumping fairly low hurdles most weeks. When we run up to the high hurdles (cup matches, OF, Europe) we, under McCall, have mostly crashed into them and fallen on our arses.

I don't really have a problem with McCall, except in one or two aspects, what I object to is his more ardent supporters making claims of him that for me ignore some crucial facts.

If we finish 2nd this season that is an excellent achievement.

However it will have been done in a league which is of a lower general standard than it was when, say Terry Butcher got us a Top 6 finish and one where most of the traditionally powerful city clubs have been in crisis - Rangers, Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen etc.

McCall isn't responsible for any of the above, he can only compete against the sides we come up against but at the same time I don't think you can reasonable say McCall is a better manager than McLean because he could finish a place higher than wee Tam ever did when McLean got his 3rd place in a far superior quality league and was much closer to the eventual champions.

In summary then, you don't judge a manager on league position unless you put the league as a whole into some context.

I couldn't care less where our points come from... They're all worth the same at the end of the season.

Kind of, but the three points yesterday are three points that Inverness who are a direct opponent can now not get. The reason we came where we did last year was we kept beating our direct opponets when they were getting close to us. Games with Celtic are, in reality, a bonus. Games with Dundee, in reality, should be a token three points. That is no disrespect to them just factual on the points collected so far. Thing about the season we have now is any five of ten teams could effectively join Celtic in the top six so if you are asking me what game is more important, United or County, I'm not sure but I'd wager United.

I bit off topic, but over the next 4 games we have, Utd, County, Celtic and Hearts. We should be looking at collecting 9 points as we have the ability to beat the three obvious teams. (no not Celtic) With the form of every team below us is, I don't expect many if any to collect 9 points. The one danger is the thumping Utd took at the weekend. I'll happily loose to Celtic and collect 9 points from the other 3.