No Real Leader On The Park

gilmour

Not a knee jerk reaction to tonight's defeat, however what was most apparent to myself was the lack of a leader tonight, and many games before hand was leadership.Tonight we simply overr played it IMHO but what has been lacking on th field is patience and someone to put their foot on the ball and controll it.

We miss Jennings to controll play and make it flow too many times we over complicated it.

Ŵe are a young team but need an old head to make us flow better.

Not a knee jerk reaction to tonight's defeat, however what was most apparent to myself was the lack of a leader tonight, and many games before hand was leadership.Tonight we simply overr played it IMHO but what has been lacking on th field is patience and someone to put their foot on the ball and controll it.

We miss Jennings to controll play and make it flow too many times we over complicated it.

Ŵe are a young team but need an old head to make us flow better.

I"d agree we're missing both those things at times, but they don't need to be the same person.

I'm not generally a fan of goalkeepers as captains, but if I had to pick somebody in our team to be captain right now, Randy might not actually be too far off the top of the list. (Not that we're going to change mid-season, nor is he very likely to be around next season.)

Ya beezer summed it up when he said utd defence and midfield worked more as a unit than us. The team seems to work separately defence and midfield. When I say put their foot on the ball what I meant was get the ball and tell others where to go what to do guide them.

There seems a lack of flow and I think this is because I can see no real leader on the pitch.

There were other things more obvious last night. How they were constantly springing a counter attack straight from our set pieces being the main concern. Corners and attacking free-kicks were rarely beating the first man which led to United going on the offensive, at that point our right back and quite often our two centre backs were at the absolute opposite end of the field than we'd ideally have them. Law bailed us out a few times last night chasing back, but our set pieces at the moment would be more of a priority than who is captain.

On the subject of captains, I pretty much view them as being the guy who does the coin toss and formalities, players should constantly be talking each other through the games, and any natural leaders in the squad should be speaking up and motivating others regardless of who has an armband on.

• Like 1

I"d agree we're missing both those things at times, but they don't need to be the same person.

I'm not generally a fan of goalkeepers as captains, but if I had to pick somebody in our team to be captain right now, Randy might not actually be too far off the top of the list. (Not that we're going to change mid-season, nor is he very likely to be around next season.)

how would this make any difference??

we are going to have some good games and some bad games and sometimes like last night we come up against a team that knows how to nullify us. If that is the case, then its up to the manager to change it

i honestly think we and Dundee Utd are very alike, we both have very good attacking players - what dissappoiinted me most about last night was not being able to take advatage of Daly playing in defence for them - and to me, as soon as we found out Daly was playing, big Higgy should have been sacrificed

but hey ho, we're Motherwell, we wont win them all and last night was just a bad night at the office all round

if you want someone to control a game, and ball and shout at players to tell them what to do and where to go - then it needs to be someone who see's alot of the ball. I honestly thought there were a few positives to come out of last night if we ignore the result.

how would this make any difference??

I'm not sure it would, really, but it has to be someone and however nominal the extra responsibility might be, Keith doesn't particularly seem to be benefitting from it. Perhaps since we're pretty shaky in defence at the moment it might give Randy a bit more confidence/authority to help sort things out back there, but maybe he's doing as much as he can anyway.

If nothing else it would put a few quid on his asking price, though :)

Can't help but think 'a lack of leadership' is one of those things that get trotted out when a team fails to perform. Who is to say las isn't leading the team - we're second in the table!

We struggle to break teams down which sit in on our narrow pitch, and given our attacks are as much about pace as skill we can look pretty clueless trying. Leadership won't alter that it's the nature of our game at the moment.

Agree that las has dippen in form this season, but surely that's down to the break up of his partnership with jennings.

• 4 months later...

Can't help but think with McManus we will finally have a passionate influential leader on the park. Thank Christ this has been a bug bear of mine for ages, never questioners players desire but with McManus we have a true leader and motivator buzzing about this signing, he may be off the pace, make mistakes and frankly be rank rotten we don't know, but what is certain the experience alone he will bring to our team is truly priceless. thumbup.gif

Hmm....Yes and no for me.

It looks the part having someone barking orders but there is more to leadership than that. A quiet word, inspiring by deed or action or even purposely choosing not to speak because you retain a confidence in your team mates abilities can be equally powerful.

There will be a time and place for a clenched fist or raised voice of course but we've finished third and second in the last two seasons. Last year off the top of my head I think of half a dozen games we've recovered from losing positions to draw or win.

Which given we've done so without a grizzly general style character which for me suggests the impact of a player like that can sometimes be overstated.

His experience I would certainly hope we can draw upon however.

• Like 1

you only have to look at Keith Lasley - a quiet type assumed by many on here, criticised by people on here for not having those loud volume type antics that people want to see,clenched fists and overly aggressive, talked down for being too slow and too old

that may be how the fans are looking at it - its not only on the park that counts, theres more to it than that

but i have it from the "horses mouth" that he is the fittest at he club, leading by example in training, being at the front when doing runs and showing the younger players you reap what you sow by putting in the hard work

McManus is a great addition in my eyes, very similar to Hutchy in that he would run through a brick wall or tackle his granny - a great attacking aerial threat and someone who has played at a higher level

all these things moulded together are definitely a welcome addition

McManus, Lasley, Hammell, Sutton.... I'd say we are not short of a physical presence, bullish attitude and a will to win now.

Hopefully McManus will bring composure to Hutchison's play as I always think he could be a central defender in the Tony Adams mould.

You mean standing with his arm in the air claiming offside for everything