Motherwell V Celtic

Dazzer

1361871538[/url]' post='375183']

Hopefully with the correct approach we can get a draw. Our record against Celtic is not as bad as it is against Rangers, however when was the last time we beat this mob at Fir Park?

Ironically enough, exactly two years ago tomorrow when we won 2-0. That was the first time we'd beaten them at Fir Park since Skippy Sunday.

Can only echo what others have said. I fear a gubbing but we live in hope. As long as they get stuck in there's no shame in losing. It's is a continual source of frustration that every other team (barring Dundee and Hearts?) have taken points of Celtic this season aswell...

I'd play

Randolph

Saunders

Hutchy

Ramsden

Hammell

Higginbotham

Carswell

Lasley

Law

McFadden

Ojamaa

We need 3 to 4 points from the next 3 games in order to keep pace with the pack. Will even get 1?

This is one we need to win the midfield battle on.

I would play a formation similar to the Aberdeen league game at home. Higdon up top with Henrik and Faddy both playing behind him but narrow/central with the ability to press wide when they have the ball. I would then play a midfield three of Carswell sitting with Lasley and Law pushing on further.

Drop Humphrey and Higgy2 to the bench and use them as impact subs from the bench 2nd half. Hopefully Hammell and Hately are both fit.

My worry is Commons playing in the hole behind the front twi. Sit Carsy on him the full game and not let him move. After Cummins nightmare against Hooper last game at FP he can't start this game.

Even in this I think Celtic will win comfortable 2-0. Ambrose with a header from a corner and Hooper with his obligatory 2yard tap in.

Some people on here think that certain players are untouchable no matter what - the previous Higdon comment being an example of this. Why can't higdon be dropped for this game in view that we need to play the ball to feet and play on the counter attack - I am sure you will agree that this style of play doesn't suit him. n top of that if you were at the game on Saturday and Killie away a few weeks back you will surely agree that he is not alway sta the top of his game. These comments do not entitle me to be tagged a boo boy, just merely my opinion which doesn't need to be the same as yours - but then again every team just like this message board needs its fair share of 'seals'.

Anyway my team would be:

Randolph

Kerr Saunders Hutchy Hammell

Law Lasley Carswell ZFA

Ojamma Faddy

Defenders in defence with some height in defence to guard against set plays ( cue the saunders and kerr aren't fit and ramsdens a great player argument- IMO Ramsdens not fast enough to play against Hopper in terms of feet and thought)

Balance to this team with ZFA on left & Law on the right

Protection for the defence with lasley & Carswell

Skill & pace up front.

Apologies in advance to the Higdon, Humphrey & Hately appreciation society that exists amongst out support, and BTW I do rate Higdon, this just isn't a game I would play him in. If we went with this team and lost 6/7 nil it wouldn't be as bad as Dingwall on Saturday.

Some people on here think that certain players are untouchable no matter what - the previous Higdon comment being an example of this. Why can't higdon be dropped for this game in view that we need to play the ball to feet and play on the counter attack - I am sure you will agree that this style of play doesn't suit him. n top of that if you were at the game on Saturday and Killie away a few weeks back you will surely agree that he is not alway sta the top of his game. These comments do not entitle me to be tagged a boo boy, just merely my opinion which doesn't need to be the same as yours - but then again every team just like this message board needs its fair share of 'seals'.

Apologies in advance to the Higdon, Humphrey & Hately appreciation society that exists amongst out support, and BTW I do rate Higdon, this just isn't a game I would play him in. If we went with this team and lost 6/7 nil it wouldn't be as bad as Dingwall on Saturday.

i would argue that our best football has come when we have played Higdon and played the ball to his feet - not the long punt up the park

however, i do take your point that sometimes for the good of the team and depending on who we are playing, some players need to be left out - and i would leave out Higgy for this one (although i cant see it as McCall knows his importance for defending set plays)

Humphrey I would leave in! He seems to cause Izaguierre problems - but we need to play to his strengths, and get good balls in behind - too often he makes the run, the ball doesnt come and he turns and its played to feet

Other than that - I agree with your team, we need to nullify Commons, Forest if he plays will roast Hammy which has been evident in the last few weeks, so ZFA to double up seems like a good plan

And we need to hope that between Law, Henrik and Faddy - one of them can produce a bit of magic and make it count

Higdon has scored in every 1.5 games and scored almost 40% of our goals this season. You tend to get very few chances against Celtic and we need to be taking any that come our way. To drop our main goal threat would be utter madness in my eyes. Higdon might not be the best player but I would trust him more than anyone in our team to take any chances that come our way and that includes Faddy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a massive Higdon fan. What I meant, and should've said was, I'd like to see Faddy start and since we can't play 12 men someone had to make way!

McFadden and Higdon up top then?

I would like to see McFadden start too but it would be choice between Humphrey and Ojamaa for me. I really like Ojamaa's workrate and he causes defenses alot of hassle plus he has the ability to create something out of nothing, therefore I would swap McFadden for Humphrey.

Ojamaa has a tendency to tire during games due to his workrate so you could always bring on Humphrey for Ojamaa and switch McFadden to play up with Higdon. Having said that it would be more than likely McFadden coming off first. We have options but as I said above we might get few chances in this game so wee need our main goal threat so Higdon as sub isn't even an option for me.

I written this game off, clearly hoping to be proven wrong and that the players go out and burst their arses off to do so but I think we've gambled on McFadden a little and we need to do everything we can to get a return and this means getting him on the park. Might argue it is a bit soon but sooner or later he needs to be starting games and this seems as good a game as any in quest for him to find some match fitness.

Hoping to see a line up along the lines of(assuming everyone available)

Randolph

Hately Hutchison Ramsden Hammell

Humphrey Lasley Carswell Law

McFadden

Higdon

Looking to Faddy get in between their midfield and back four and cause some havoc. If it congested in there then he can hopefully pick out Humphrey and Law bombing forward to support with Lasley and Carswell protecting the back four. If we under a bit of presusre hopefully any longish balls forward are into Hidons chech and feet to provide the focal point for everyone else to feed off from. Give Faddy a good 60 minutes ideally and if he is a bit anonymous well least he gets some time under belt and fairly confident it'll benefit him and us in the next few weeks more than another wee sub run out. Could put Ojamma out wide and Law in centre, but suspect we'll need more dig and Ojamma should be a decent option off the bench.

• Like 1

could it be a record low crowd for a Motherwell-Celtic fixture?

midweek, on the TV

many Motherwell fans with the feeling that we never/rarely challenge in old firm games

the usual reasons for keeping away from Celtic/Rangers games

Insulting ticket prices.

maybe? and hopefully an ocassion when the team show up