Spl Prize Money 2012/13

Toxteth O'Grady

We're all too feart of Celtic and as a consequence the team who finishes 2nd has been well and truly shafted.

Fairer distribution was required but the cut should have been spread over 1st and 2nd place.

From a Morherwell perspective, I think it's pretty sly that this change wasn't mentioned at the recent Well Society gathering.

• Like 1

See the more I think about it the more I think you are right. It's not a stretch of the imagination to think the 11 clubs who would have been fighting for second got together not long into the season and decided it was more sensible to spread the wealth of second spot through the entire league to soften the blow of not having Rangers here, rather than one team get a big payday while the rest struggle. Celtic would have said they don't give a fuck what happens to second place and abstained from the vote.

We might ask why they didn't pursue a complete redistribution? I can only imagine that Celtic, having set their budget this year, would have mounted a legal challenge which they would probably have won.

So, what on the surface might seem like a baffling decision is actually a sensible financial move by the 11 clubs.

That WOULD in fact make sense.

However, it SHOULD have been made more public and the decision explained alongside the proviso that when reconstruction comes in, first place will also be redistributed. No excuse for budgets being already set at that point.

This is a fucking scandal!! The bulk of the prize money was originally engineered to go to the Old Firm it might as well have said 'Old Firm 1 Prizemoney' and 'Old Firm 2 Prizemoney'. This was our chance to take advantage of the ridiculous increments on offer and try and at least arm a 'diddy' team with a few quid extra to ay least have a go at Celtic. Instead the gap gets bigger!!

We need answers here and I for one am tempted to not step foot in ANY SPL ground untill we get one. Faddy, good run, going for 2nd, europe again who gives a fuck the while thing is utterly pointless.

If the above is correct then why not announce that it has been done and give the reason behind the decision rather than just slip it in? I hope you are correct but if it is then its very poor management not to explain it as such.

You are right. They must have known fans were talking about the big payday of second place for most of the season so I honestly don't know why it's never been mentioned.

I think timing might have been the issue. Even as late as November there were quite a few clubs only a point or two off Celtic. While the vast majority knew deep down that they would eventually run away with the league, for a club or the SPL to come out with an official statement indicating that they too felt that would have been PR disaster.

It's a tough one.

If the result of the changes has helped save 1 club from administration this season is that not for the good of the game - or is it self interest?

I for one don't want to see any club go into admin

Yes but how much more could clubs have earned if we'd all had the bottle to stand up to Celtic?

Yes but how much more could clubs have earned if we'd all had the bottle to stand up to Celtic?

I am speculating here as no-one knows the facts of these changes but I don't know if it's so much about bottle, I imagine it's more to do with legality.

Say Motherwell budget for finishing 6th this season. At the start of the season we renew contracts and negotiate deals based on that income, from playing staff to the window cleaner. We would accept if it half way through the season the income that we were aiming for was divvied up between other teams?

Celtic only concerned with Celtic's budget, regardless of how it impacts on other clubs. I imagine they could have launched a successful legal challenge had the money they budgeted for been removed.

As I said, I'm speculating but I don't think there is an alternative for the 11 clubs here. Nothing to do with bottle.