Motherwell V Hibernian

SteelmaninOZ

From Motherwell Times

The law is an ass!

Smokebomb costs fan his seat at cup final

2444820033.jpg Action from Motherwell v Hibs

Published on 15/05/2013 15:35

A HIBS football supporter has been banned from the Scottish Cup final for setting off a smokebomb while watching his team at Fir Park.

Russell Gilbert ignited the device during his team's SPL game with Motherwell on March 15. He was arrested and appeared at Hamilton Sheriff Court where he admitted putting other fans in danger.

The smokebomb was set off in the away section of the South Stand early in the game. Play was not disrupted and Motherwell ran out 4-1 winners.

Sentence on Gilbert (19), of Musselburgh, East Lothian, had been deferred until last week for background reports. Sheriff John Miller then continued the case for another six months for good behaviour.

Gilbert is currently on bail and a condition of that is he must not attend any regulated football match.

Sheriff Miller ruled that condition should remain, meaning Gilbert will miss next week's Scottish Cup final when Hibs will take on Celtic at Hampden Park.

He must return to court on, ironically, November 5 - Guy Fawkes Night - when the sheriff will consider a Crown request to impose a formal fixed-term banning order.

As well as missing the final, Gilbert will be unable to attend any of Hibs' European games next season. The Easter Road side will play in the Europa League qualifiers regardless of the cup final result.

Defence agent Douglas Barr said his client hadn't been in trouble before and was 'a first offender in the true sense of the word'.

A Fir Park source said: "You have to feel sorry for this lad. He was caught on CCTV, but none of the fans around him had complained. It's not as if people were climbing over seats to flee."

A Fir Park source said: "You have to feel sorry for this lad. He was caught on CCTV, but none of the fans around him had complained. It's not as if people were climbing over seats to flee."

Sensible approach from our club... shame nobody in authority will act accordingly.

That's bleak, but he got off lightly compared to a Chelsea fan..

Ten year ban.

Which is a frankly ridiculous punishment.

Deputy District Judge Neil Thomas told him: "It's the potential for disaster that makes this case so very serious and only a custodial sentence can be justified."

What an absolute mile-oot.

What potential for disaster? Making things up these c***s and getting away with it.

Quite. It's a standard argument regarding smoke bombs, as with Godwin's Law and Nazis, so it comes to pass that the Bradford fire will be brought up in a discussion.

While I'm not going to defend smoke bombs and certainly not flares to the hilt, its an absolute nonsense of an argument. Smoke bombs can become an issue in enclosed spaces, if people have respiratory problems, its been brought up by the Celtic Disabled Supporters Association with the GB and the displays and things they do with smoke. In the main, it won't cause a great problem though.

Flares are a bit of a different kettle of fish, as they are somewhat more dangerous. They look amazing, but I wouldn't want to use one, because I've nae idea what the story is. I know an Everton fan was badly burned in Liege, because some chap had taken a flare from a fucking North Sea Oil rig, designed to be seen from miles around.

Launching out sentences like that is utterly ridiculous, genuinely feel for the kid.

Quite. It's a standard argument regarding smoke bombs, as with Godwin's Law and Nazis, so it comes to pass that the Bradford fire will be brought up in a discussion.

While I'm not going to defend smoke bombs and certainly not flares to the hilt, its an absolute nonsense of an argument. Smoke bombs can become an issue in enclosed spaces, if people have respiratory problems, its been brought up by the Celtic Disabled Supporters Association with the GB and the displays and things they do with smoke. In the main, it won't cause a great problem though.

Flares are a bit of a different kettle of fish, as they are somewhat more dangerous. They look amazing, but I wouldn't want to use one, because I've nae idea what the story is. I know an Everton fan was badly burned in Liege, because some chap had taken a flare from a fucking North Sea Oil rig, designed to be seen from miles around.

Launching out sentences like that is utterly ridiculous, genuinely feel for the kid.

Fair points well made, but, the use of this type of smoke pellet is utilisesed in enclosed spaces everyday...

Two things here.

1) The authorities are 100% guaranteed to overreact to these incidents.

2) Every man and his dog that has been within 100 miles of a football match knows this

It's not worth the risk, so why bother.

Fair points well made, but, the use of this type of smoke pellet is utilisesed in enclosed spaces everyday...

Have I missed something? :lol:

I should be clear, I'm totally fine with smoke pellets at the football, it's never bothered me and is pretty entertaining.

My favourite was on an Everton forum when some chap claimed that the proliferation of smoke bombs was 'guaranteed' to lead to another Bradford fire, before floundering around the fact that A) football stadiums are now made of concrete, which isn't really known for its flammable properties, B) The fire was actually started by rubbish under the stand and C) that the whole thing was exacerbated by the stadium's condition. He then claimed football strips and jackets were 'highly flammable'.

Can only presume he was Judge Neil Thomas.

Is a lot of Goodson not wooden? I'm sure the stand I sat in was wooden.

The south stand at fir park certainly isn't though!

Although this happened at an old firm youth game last season

SNA1719A1---15329_1491496a.jpg

I've only been in the lower end of the Bullens, and the top of the Main Stand, but they were both concrete, Park End is new as well, so it is too.

It was in response to this:

BHQEqJ8CcAAfWCd.jpg

At White Hart Lane, which is indeed, all concrete.