Football Historians In The Future Will Say...

SteelmaninOZ

Been saying that for a wee while now.

If you'd told me ten years ago that we'd have played in Europe under four different managers, I'd have laughed in your face. To maintain the level of success we have while losing our managers and top players (Porter, Clarkson, Quinn, Sutton, Reynolds, McCormack and McDonald before you get to loan guys like Jutkiewicz, Ruddy and Blackman) is remarkable. Almost all of these European jaunts have been secured by consistent league performances, not jammy cup runs.

For guys of my age (mid 30s), we've never seen such a sustained period of good times...

• Like 1

I am an old codger that has seen many ups and downs and probably more the latter. Have been saying to my 16 year old son that he has seen a great time to be a Motherwell fan. Seen a couple of finals, been to Europe a few times and seen us consistently finish in the top 6.

Did say to him not to get used to it but hey you never know. Keep positive, keep,enjoying it and long may it continue! thumbup.gif

Here's a question: would you swap our ten years of generally being on a high for a day like St Mirren had yesterday?

No, but I'd swap one (and only one) season of bottom 6 for another Cup win. Overall though, I'd prefer to be consistently entertained, but that's easy for me to say as I was at Hampden for our last Cup win.

It has been a ridiculously successful few years as demonstrated by the expectation levels of many fans.

Our best under wee Tommy was arguably better than recent times (although McGhee's first year would be a contender), but the consistency has been very impressive - especially considering the financial constraints.

You only need to look down a division to see what can happen; whether it's a poor run of form or poor management, things can quickly turn against you - just ask Clydebank, Dumbarton, Morton etc. who all played in the old Premier League, but never in the SPL.

Here's a question: would you swap our ten years of generally being on a high for a day like St Mirren had yesterday?

No chance, dire football, annual relegation battles& no european adventures. The wifes entire family are all Midden fans, they had a great day yesterday but they haven't had the 6 years we have just had.

No, but I'd swap one (and only one) season of bottom 6 for another Cup win.

This, in a heartbeat. Our league performances over the past few years have been excellent but football is all about winning trophies and the joy and euphoria that comes with it. We have not had a day like St.Mirren had yesterday for 22 years and while its good to qualify for Europe it doesn't even come close to winning one of the domestic cups.

Maybe next year will be our year though, we can always cling to that hope and more so now that Rangers are out the picture and Celtic, although by far and away are the strongest side in Scotland, have become complacent with out Rangers challenging them so they are beatable on their day.

Like the Seasider, I've ridden the rollercoaster since the 60's, and as far as League status is concerned recent times have been quite remarkable.

However, the main reason for that is the competition is a lot poorer than in the last quarter of the 20th C.

The fans march in Nancy was something else, seeing my one and only euro goal in Odense was almost orgasmic, and witnessing my team in the CL was beyond my wildest imagination ------ but, without any hesitation, I'd swap all that for a National Cup win at Hampden :nod:

• Like 1

Been saying that for a wee while now.

If you'd told me ten years ago that we'd have played in Europe under four different managers, I'd have laughed in your face. To maintain the level of success we have while losing our managers and top players (Porter, Clarkson, Quinn, Sutton, Reynolds, McCormack and McDonald before you get to loan guys like Jutkiewicz, Ruddy and Blackman) is remarkable. Almost all of these European jaunts have been secured by consistent league performances, not jammy cup runs.

For guys of my age (mid 30s), we've never seen such a sustained period of good times...

Been saying this for a while myself also.

If we had been this good ten years ago I would've been permanently drunk!!

I sit a few rows up from where all my pals sit with my dad these days. We are quite near an aisle. It takes a special goal for me to be out in the ailse and down jumping about with my pals, but it has happened a few times this season and in recent ones. Faddys goal being a real magic moment.

I have been to 6 away games this season and we have won every one of them. We won 6 away in a row last year. Faddy is back in a 'Well shirt. It took us 14 years to qualify for Europe, we are now almost planning for it every other season, as someone said, through consistent league performances. These truly are good times.

Would I swap all this for St Mirren had? Tough one. I want to see Motherwell win the Scottish Cup possibly more than I want anything else in life. I was ill with stress before the recent final and in my bed in despair by 5:30 that night!

Finishing 9th, 10th, 11th 5 or 6 years in a row would eat at your soul after the years we have just had so I'm not sure I would swap it.

For one pish season in the bottom 6 I would though!

• Like 1

Like the Seasider, I've ridden the rollercoaster since the 60's, and as far as League status is concerned recent times have been quite remarkable.

However, the main reason for that is the competition is a lot poorer than in the last quarter of the 20th C.

The fans march in Nancy was something else, seeing my one and only euro goal in Odense was almost orgasmic, and witnessing my team in the CL was beyond my wildest imagination ------ but, without any hesitation, I'd swap all that for a National Cup win at Hampden :nod:

Absolutely.

Does anyone seriously think that in 22 years time we'll still be talking about and fondly remembering the Motherwell team who lost 5-0 on aggregate against Panathinaikos in the 2nd qualifying rounds of the Champions League in the same way we remember the 1991 Scottish Cup win today? No chance.

I think as fans, we tend to remember the emotions of certain games. So a good league season while it might have some fantastic games (Friday will live long in the memory), they rarely have the feeling that a cup win has in terms of immediate impact.

Occasionally they do but only when there's a "do or die" feeling about the game. I'm thinking Falkirk second last day of the season in what was effectively a relegation shoot out. Or the win over Aberdeen to clinch Europe under McGhee..

A cup win would clearly live longer in the memory than good league campaigns. If the trade off was watching what St Mirren fans have had to watch for the last five or six seasons, don't know if I could put up with that...

One for the "Statto's";

When was the last time, if ever, have we come back from a 0-1 half time and scored 4 (or more) in the second half.

Just curious like!

Off the top of my head, I think we were 2 - 0 nil down at half time in the famous 5 - 4 victory against Killie.

Don't know if that was the last time though.

Possibly swap the last 6 seasons for a Scottish Cup win but not a hope in hell for a League Cup win. And id be willing to bet you would find a lot of St Mirren fans would gladly swap their League Cup for the last 6 years we have had.

In fact no i wouldn't swap for a Scottish Cup win either i've already experienced one of them so now it's all about being the best of the rest over the season & not just getting a lucky draw & winning a handful of games to win a cup.

1363648555[/url]' post='377203']

One for the "Statto's";

When was the last time, if ever, have we come back from a 0-1 half time and scored 4 (or more) in the second half.

Just curious like!

I seem to remember that exact same scenario against Hibs in the '70s

I'm an ex old firm fan who didnt want his kids growing up supporting either half of them so I started taking them to FP and I've grown to love this club more than I ever imagined. I now no longer care about my old team thanks to the last 7 or 8 years.

I never imagined that following my local team would make me a borderline glory-hunter though. Long may it continue.

How do you explain to your lads that this isn't the norm?