Europe Or Cup Win

phoenix

Cup win or European qualification  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Qualify for Europe or win a cup

• Win a cup
    • Qualify for Europe

After watching St Mirren winning the league Cup, would we be happy with another cup win or our progress in the League qualifying for Europe? I would take another cup win, but many are happy with European tours, will be interesting to see how the support think

Europe is good to have but I don't see how anyone would prefer 4 games, 4 defeats, 0 goals scored to actually winning some silverware.

Perhaps actually qualifying for the Champions League group stages or even the Europa group stages but frankly that's not very likely.

• Like 1

1363731151[/url]' post='377290']

Lets just win the Scottish Cup.......and qualify for Europe!

Last year the answer was

Win league

Qualify for champions league

Win scottish cup

Win league cup

Qualify for Europa league

Now that no. 2 has been achieved it moves to no. 4

The debate on the other thread is comparing a period of time for us to a one off event for St Mirren, on balance the sum of our high points in the past 6 years outweigh the equivalent period for Saints.

Take a cup over QUALIFYING for European Competitions, but I could go another year without a cup if we were playing in the group stages of either competition. I think it's a case of success in one, without success in the other. Sadly, we can't have both I'm afraid. Judging by the stance of Scottish Football at the moment, I would take a bottom six finish next season if we lift the Scottish cup again!

• Like 1

Cup every time for me.

It's nice to see us qualify for Europe but being realistic, what does it really equate to for us? A two, possibly four game bit of fluff at the start of the season. We're never going to be able to compete at European level as we just don't have the clout for it. Obviously if we did manage to defy the odds and get past the qualifying rounds then it would be a tremendous achievement for the club but it still wouldn't be equal to or better than a domestic cup win because we wouldn't have won anything and that is what football is all about at the end of the day.

Seeing your team winning a major honour at the National Stadium, especially for a provincial club like ours is the greatest thing that we can realistically achieve and it would be a tremendous boost for the club as a whole as it would bring the club, the supporters and the community together, just as it did in 1991 with the wonderful anticipation beforehand and the celebrations afterwards with the open top bus crawling through the town bedecked in Claret & Amber.

I would gladly take us never qualifying for Europe via the league ever again if it meant I get to see us win the Cup again.

• Like 1

It's kind of comparing apples and oranges!

A one off disappointing league season to win a cup, preferably the Scottish cup would be more than acceptable.

Being as turgid as Stmirren for several seasons for a league cup win.... I don't think I'd take that.

Same as I wouldn't leave my wife for 1 night with Kelly brook.

:lol:

I prefer having a good season and qualifying for Europe. Anything after that is a bonus. Wee teams like ourselves only tend to win cups when we're having a shite or mediocre league campaign.

That's true to an extent when you consider St.Mirren's success this year and Kilmarnock's last, but we've had plenty of shite/mediocre campaigns since 91 and not won anything so it's no wonder that the desire is there to see us lift silverware again someday soon. For 'younger' fans like me who weren't present or indeed old enough in 91 to see and appreciate just what we had done that day then I am desperate to see us win something again and to be honest the defeat to Celtic two years ago has increased my desire for that to happen all the more. That's why I was more gutted than ever before when we lost to Aberdeen in last year's QF and again in the 4th Round this year because that meant yet another year without a trophy.

• Like 1

I am not sure if we could match 91 ever again but I am sure the generation in 51 & 52 could possibly have said the same, I think we have been spoiled with our achievements in recent years and the qualification for the champions league may never come again but there is just something special being the winning team at Hampden for a major trophy. How many of us could name the team who walked out in Nancy, Odense, panathinaikos, levante? I bet we could name the next cup winning team for generations.

Don't know why, but for me, there is a great deal of difference between the Scottish Cup and the League Cup.

I voted cup then on the basis of it being the Scottish.

I'm a fussy bastard, yes.

I've never understood the antipathy towards the League Cup. It's basically the same teams in a cup format.

You could actually say because the early rounds are seeded, the top teams get a bye and there are no replays that it's harder to actually win that the League Cup than the Scottish Cup.

For 'younger' fans like me who weren't present or indeed old enough in 91 to see and appreciate just what we had done that day then I am desperate to see us win something again.

I'd been going to games regularly for about 5 seasons when we won the cup. 22 seasons later I'm still waiting for a follow up.

It was a great day, an amazing day but I definitely didn't appreciate just how great or how amazing. Sometimes I wonder if it will ever happen again in my life time but at least I did get to experience it once.

I really do hope that we win it again so that fans younger than me get that opportunity but just look at Hibernian!