Europe Or Cup Win

phoenix

Cup win or European qualification  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Qualify for Europe or win a cup

• Win a cup
    • Qualify for Europe

If I thought about it, I probably could name the teams that walked out in the games mentioned above!

If we had won the cup in 2011, then for me it would've matched 1991. I had been going to the games since 1984, and did appreciate what it meant, but it would mean more now.

I now probably appreciate more now what 1991 meant to my dad and uncle, who despite obviously being much older than me, have seen Motherwell win the same amount of trophies as I have.

It's time for the heroes of 1991 to be replaced by new ones, but I fear it may never happen.

In short, I'd swap Europe for a cup win in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

For 'younger' fans like me who weren't present or indeed old enough in 91 to see and appreciate just what we had done that day then I am desperate to see us win something again and to be honest the defeat to Celtic two years ago has increased my desire for that to happen all the more. That's why I was more gutted than ever before when we lost to Aberdeen in last year's QF and again in the 4th Round this year because that meant yet another year without a trophy.

You're younger than me? FUCKING hell, your berating privileges have just been revoked, fuck me I thought you'd been through the 1st division with the rest of us. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

You're younger than me? FUCKING hell, your berating privileges have just been revoked, fuck me I thought you'd been through the 1st division with the rest of us. :rolleyes:

I ain't even 30 yet.

My earliest memories of being a Motherwell fan was the Semi Final win over Celtic in 91, and that's only because of the hype and euphoria that my father made me aware of aswell as the build up within the town itself, ie. the wee butcher figure on Windmillhill Street being painted in Claret & Amber. Apart from that I was too young to attend the final or even understand the full magnitude of what a Scottish Cup win meant for a club like us and that's why I'm desperate to see it again because I've learned that it just isn't the norm for us, the exact opposite infact.

• Like 1

Don't know why, but for me, there is a great deal of difference between the Scottish Cup and the League Cup.

I voted cup then on the basis of it being the Scottish.

I'm a fussy bastard, yes.

I've been lucky enough to have seen my team win both.

Both were special. 1997 was immense. 2012 was even sweeter as it was against one of the old firm.

Seen us in Europe too (we had a run like you've had in recent years in late 90s/early 00s) and saw us play likes of Kaiserlautern with Youri Djorkieff running the show.

Would love another European tour. It's been too long!

Don't think I'll top my dad exploits though. Seeing killie win league then draw with Real Madrid in European Cup though!!

I've been lucky enough to have seen my team win both.

Both were special. 1997 was immense. 2012 was even sweeter as it was against one of the old firm.

Seen us in Europe too (we had a run like you've had in recent years in late 90s/early 00s) and saw us play likes of Kaiserlautern with Youri Djorkieff running the show.

Would love another European tour. It's been too long!

Don't think I'll top my dad exploits though. Seeing killie win league then draw with Real Madrid in European Cup though!!

And what was it? Twenty-five? Thirty years later and you were playing in the Scottish Second Division!

For me it serves to illustrate be it watching Motherwell on foreign shores, seeing European teams pitch up at Fir Park, winning trophies, getting to finals or even just battling away at the top end of the table. Savour it and never take it for granted!

And what was it? Twenty-five? Thirty years later and you were playing in the Scottish Second Division!

For me it serves to illustrate be it watching Motherwell on foreign shores, seeing European teams pitch up at Fir Park, winning trophies, getting to finals or even just battling away at the top end of the table. Savour it and never take it for granted!

24years.....

We'd came second four times and then won it. Then came the yoyo years!