European Football Thread

GazzyB

Looking quite likely we will be on our travels again next season. 8 clear of County with only 6 games to go, I think we'll get 3rd at worst. What stage will we go into the hat at for 2nd, and for 3rd? Possible opponents?

Love European footie I do!

I've loved the European away trips too, really hoping we get another adventure or 2 next season. I know when it comes to the actual games there are a lot of people on here who start moaning when we lose, but when I was young European football was nothing but a dream so, win lose or draw, I'll enjoy it if it comes.

Not counting my chickens though, still a lot of work to be done.

Do cup winners enter the Europa League at a later stage than league runners-up?

Asked this question myself.

Answer was yes, they do. However if Celtic win the cup, then the losers will qualify for Europe but won't go in at a more advanced stage than league runners up.

2nd and 3rd will both go in at the same point. Qualifying round 2. Cup winners/Runners up will go in the round later.

Impossible to have any idea of indiviual clubs we might face as (like us) most clubs haven't secured euro spots at this point.

Edit - NottsMFC is probably right that if Celtic win the cup then the runnners up would go in the earlier round and league runners up would enter in the 3rd qualifying round.

Scottish cup winners go in at Europa league 3rd qualifying...SPL runners up and 3rd go in at 2nd qualifying. Scotlands coefficient dropped this year thats why only 1 CL place.

But starting a round earlier we might get some wins and boost our coefficient.

Some difference with the coefficient dropping. Last season Hearts went straight into playoff did they not? Seems a bit daft that 2nd and 3rd place enter competition at same stage.

I've fucked up my leave at work as I thought 2nd place and a Celtic cup win would see us enter after the Scotland England game.

With all our recent forays in Europe we've racked ourselves up a decent coefficient rating of over 7. It's nowhere near guaranteed, or even that likely but there's a slim chance that could be enough for seeded in the 3rd round. Would need 7 or 8 games in the previous 2 rounds to go our way though. If not, Roma are in 6th right now and thats when they would get in. Wouldn't mind a wee trip to Rome.

With all our recent forays in Europe we've racked ourselves up a decent coefficient rating of over 7. It's nowhere near guaranteed, or even that likely but there's a slim chance that could be enough for seeded in the 3rd round. Would need 7 or 8 games in the previous 2 rounds to go our way though. If not, Roma are in 6th right now and thats when they would get in. Wouldn't mind a wee trip to Rome.

Were we not seeded when we got Aalesunds in the 3rd then unseeded in the play off when we got OB?

I'll be happy if we qualify.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

If we can beat St Mirren this weekend, something we have struggled to do not just this season, but almost every bloody season, then I would be confident of a Euro place.

We are still in the driving seat, but with 18 points to play for we could also mess it up.

Were we to qualify then again we would have had no competitive fixtures before we KO our Euro campaign. Would want to avoid the scandanavian teams for that reason.

1364933929[/url]' post='378349']

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

If we can beat St Mirren this weekend, something we have struggled to do not just this season, but almost every bloody season, then I would be confident of a Euro place.

We are still in the driving seat, but with 18 points to play for we could also mess it up.

Were we to qualify then again we would have had no competitive fixtures before we KO our Euro campaign. Would want to avoid the scandanavian teams for that reason.

We ripped through Scandinavia a couple of years back.

• Like 1

Given that Ross County are already 8 points back and that 3rd qualifies us for Europe, Saturdays game is huge for us.

If we could win it, it would leave the other 3 teams with a helluva lot to do to reel us back in.

Desperately want 2nd spot but one thing at a time.

Were we not seeded when we got Aalesunds in the 3rd then unseeded in the play off when we got OB?

We were seeded that year, by the skin of our teeth. I think we were at about a 6 for coefficient and us and Hibs snuck in as two of the last seeded teams. A 6 wouldn't have been enough to be seeded almost any other year.

As excited as I am about another European run, our squad will be decimated by then. It's extremely unlikely that our top players Randolph, Law, Faddy, Daley etc will be here next year, I just hope we can get decent replacements and make a right good go of it.

It's a shame, coz the current starting XI we have would have a brilliant chance of making the group stages!