Michael Higdon

El Grew

Motherwell striker Michael Higdon hopes his season will be remembered for being Scotland's player of the year rather than his subsequent arrest.

The 29-year-old was involved in an alleged assault less than three hours after picking up his award on Sunday.

Continue reading the main story

“I'm annoyed at myself for getting myself into a situation like that because it's not me”

Michael Higdon "It's still the best night I've had as a footballer," he said. "It's a career high and that's all I'm thinking about, rather than any negatives.

"I hope other people see it like that too."

Higdon was released without charge early on Monday morning, with the case now in the hands of the procurator fiscal, before discovering his arrest had made the national news.

The former Falkirk and St Mirren centre forward, who has scored 27 goals so far this season, expressed regret for getting caught up in the incident outside a Glasgow nightclub.

"I'm annoyed at myself for getting myself into a situation like that because it's not me," he said.

"I'm not the type of lad who goes out clubbing or to bars. I'm a country pub type of guy.

"I should have known better than getting into that kind of situation."

Motherwell, who have made no official comment on the incident, will now have to hope that any negative publicity does not put Higdon off signing a new contract when his current deal expires in the summer.

The Fir Park club are hopeful of persuading the player to sign a new deal despite interest from potentially more lucrative options.

"I've just got to leave my options open

Surprised that a report went to the PF if he wasn't actually charged with assault. Fiscals normally make the decision to prosecute, drop a case or consider alternatives to a matter going to court after the police have investigated and made the decision whether to charge someone or not. Which would involve taking statements from people who witnessed the alleged incident and could take days or weeks. Police can obviously return and charge someone at a later date after they have been arrested but still think it's strange that he was released without charge yet a report went to the PF a matter of hours after he was arrested.

Not sure that that's normal procedure at all. And quite a lot of stress for someone to go through if they havent actually been charged with a crime because it can take months for a PF to make a decision.

Well done to him for the award, all the press I read in the run up thought that it was going to be Leigh Griffiths. As for the incident itself, hopefully things will be sorted out sooner or later and he and the club can move on from it.

This might seem daft but I've been wondering: given the time Higdon has been in Scotland could he qualify for the NT?

I mean, a Brazilian can go to, say, Holland, and after a certain time qualify for citizenship/passport at the Dutch NT.

Or do we have to wait until after 2014 when he can get a Scottish Passport. (Remember the wee "Tartan Shoppe" under the Hielanman's Umbrella that sold them? Or am I giving my age away?

I thought it was birth in the country, 5years of Education or a direct family link to be eligible?

This is correct. But, during his time playing in Scotland Michael has been doing Scottish Cultural Studies, he passed his final with flying colours by getting the jail for fighting with bouncers after being thrown out a night club. A+ Michael you've really truely learnt what it is to be Scottish, now come play for us.

No, but, seriously next time Lennon bumps his manky diseased gums about Hooper deserving a call up for England, McCall should be replying through the press with "How many more goals did he get than Higgy this year?" Higgy for an England call up over Hooper please.