Michael Higdon

El Grew

This is correct. But, during his time playing in Scotland Michael has been doing Scottish Cultural Studies, he passed his final with flying colours by getting the jail for fighting with bouncers after being thrown out a night club. A+ Michael you've really truely learnt what it is to be Scottish, now come play for us.

No, but, seriously next time Lennon bumps his manky diseased gums about Hooper deserving a call up for England, McCall should be replying through the press with "How many more goals did he get than Higgy this year?" Higgy for an England call up over Hooper please.

Actually Hooper scored 31 goals this season to Higdon's 27. Although 4 of Hooper's goals did come in a League Cup match against Raith Rovers...

He will do well to get half those goals next season, maybe even into double figures, Doom and gloom I am afraid!

But I think He will pretty much do the same as Jennoe did, and hold on until the bigger offer comes along.

Hope he stays though, but with the players that are leaving...ouch :download:

this time last year what did the majority think of Higdon!

That he was vital component of our team good for about 15 goals.

Turned out he near doubled it but would still have been disappointed if he left even then.

We'll replace him though I doubt we'll get a 25 goal striker in his place but you never know.

did higgy no say he would sign if McCall stayed time o find out if he's a man of his word....

He said he "might".

I'd imagine as of today he is now officially out of contract, if as stated in the shoutbox most of the contracts are dated the 1st June.

Same with Humphrey and Hateley.

Barnsley are chasing Motherwell striker Michael Higdon.

The Star understands Reds boss David Flitcroft is a big admirer of Higdon, a player who scooped Scotland’s Players’ Player of the Year award last season.

Higdon netted 27 goals in 43 appearances in an impressive campaign in 2012-2013 for the Steelmen, one which also saw the 29-year-old hitman score nine goals in as many games. Higdon’s goals and match-winning performances were a significant factor in the club finishing second to champions Celtic in the Scottish Premier League.

But the player also attracted headlines for all the wrong reasons when he was arrested on suspicion of assault at a Glasgow nightclub only a few hours after scooping his prestigious PFA award.

The Liverpool-born marksman, later released without charge, apologised for the misdemeanor and admitted: “I’m annoyed at myself for getting into a situation like that because it’s not me.

“I’m not the type of lads who goes out clubbing or to bars. I’m a country pub type of guy.

He added: “I should have known better than getting into that kind of situation.”

Higdon is currently a free agent after his two-year contract at Fir Park finished at the end of last season.

Motherwell were hoping to get their most prize asset with a new contract, but Higdon revealed: “I’ve just got to leave my options open and see what’s there at the end of the season.”

A chance to play for the Reds in the Championship could prove too tempting to resist for Higdon, although The Star understands the former Crewe, Falkirk and St Mirren striker has attracted interest from plenty of other clubs keen to secure his signature.

Flitcroft has expressed a desire for more firepower up front. The sale of Craig Davies last season to Bolton left the Reds short of attacking options, although Sheffield Wednesday loan signing Chris O’Grady and former Ipswich Town forward Jason Scotland helped the club retain their Championship status. Both players scored six league goals, while Chris Dagnall.

But although Dagnall finished the club’s overall leading scorer with 10 goals - five in the league and five in cup competitions - it was Davies who finished the club’s top league goalscorer with eight goals.

Defender Jimmy McNulty, meanwhile, is expected to pen his new one-year deal at Barnsley today.

He missed much of last season with a hamstring injury and played just 14 games for the Reds. But the versatile defender, who joined the club two years ago, is one of seven players to have been offered new deals by the Championship club.

Striker Jason Scotland has signed his new one-year contract, while defender Tom Kennedy and Kelvin Etuhu have both agreed to sign new two-year deals at Oakwell

A chance to play for the Reds in the Championship could prove too tempting to resist for Higdon.... With all due respect, the tykes escaped relegation by the skin of their teeth last season and under flitcroft I don't see them achieving much more than that next season, so don't see this being much more than tabloid shyte...

A chance to play for the Reds in the Championship could prove too tempting to resist for Higdon.... With all due respect, the tykes escaped relegation by the skin of their teeth last season and under flitcroft I don't see them achieving much more than that next season, so don't see this being much more than tabloid shyte...

The reason we were in that position in thefirst place was the buffoon we had in charge up until January where we werelucky if we picked up 20 points. Since losing at Peterborough on 3rdJanuary I think we lost 5 games and were a completely different team. I’m happyto wager you £20 to the charity of your choice that we don’t finish in thebottom 5 this coming season.