Michael Higdon

El Grew

While I love the big man (a goal every two games for Motherwell is outstanding), there have been factors that have worked in his favour.

McCall since he signed Higdon, has focussed his attack around him knowing he'll put away chances. Looking at the other attacking options we've had in his time here, he's had good support and supply. Which other Motherwell strikers has had the likes of Law, Murphy, Ojaama, Humphrey, Higginbotham and McFadden playing alongside him? Maybe the reason he's having his best ever season?

Don't take this as a criticism of him. More a statement of why he's doing quite so well and why I think he should think seriously before moving for a small wage rise. McCall seems to bring in the right players to suit his game. He's the main man here. He'd be daft to go to Hibs or Utd and have to adapt his game to their way of playing...

1364832684[/url]' post='378276']

You do him a disservice by simply labelling him a penalty box striker, he's much more to us than that. He's the focal point of our attack, often used as an outlet when nothings on and his link up play is far better than it gets credit for.

He's certainly a superior all round player to Sutton.

Fucking fat fingers..... Didnae mean to negative dot you, as I agree with every word.

I wouldn't label him as a penalty box striker as he does so much of his work between the halfway line and 18 yard box.

Johnstone i do have backbone im admitting i got it wrong with Higgy and delighted that i did. Any player who scores 20 plus goals is worth his weight in gold. I really didn't think he had it to be so prolific. I give my opinion as i see it and have been right with several players who i said wouldn't do for us the likes of Ross Forbes and Mark Fitzpatrick spring to mind. Higgy if he gets decent service certainly knows where the goals are and hopefully he signs and continues doing what he's doing next season and beyond. :)

Bollocks. You have called him fat, lazy, useless etc. even when he was up at about 15 goals you were at it. Most normal people have seen from the day he has joined us that he is a quality player. Only fucktards like you have been complete knob heads about him.

But now he has scored over 20 goals he is amazing. Bull shit mate. Bull shit.

• Like 13

Sutton had a decent goalscoring record but in many games he just aimlessly ran about. Higdon may seem "lazier" to the naive football fan, but in truth he's actually just wiser, with better positioning and uses his mobility more effectively.

The team have played more to Higdon's strengths this season than last, and that is what a team is meant to do ---- play to each other's strengths.

He is reaping the rewards for effective team work, and is deserving of much applause for his contribution this season.

To be fair to the naysayers there was a time, this season, when Higdon's effect on the match was negligable, our home form rotten, exacerbated by a toothless attack, and we were sitting about 8th in the league.

I've never been a critic of Higdon, at least overall he did has some individual stinkers, but at least in those circumstances there was some logic to the criticism.

Now I don't see how anyone could criticise him and to be honest I've not seen anyone do so.

Just as Sutton's game developed a lot over a couple of seasons and he was contributing a lot more than just goals to the team latterly, I think Higdon's game has come on a lot since the beginning of this season. Earlier in the season if Higdon wasn't scoring he wasn't doing anything. Now that's not the case and he's consistently one of our better players in general play, even putting aside the goals tally.

Right now I'd rate Higdon more highly than Sutton, so in that respect I've changed my mind, but Sutton was good over a longer period.

I'd like to think Higdon will be here for another season and this time next term when comparing the two it will be a none contest!

The big man is effective and reliable,superb defending today as well with that block in the first half. Had a tough job today playing with 2 defenders in his shorts but worked his role well and provided yet another goal

I think Higdon will be one of the ones that has more of a chance of staying out of the likes of Randy, Law etc.. At the end of the day, it depends what offers are on the table for him. He is 29 years old, he has scored over 20 goals this season and is playing in a team that suits his strengths as a striker.

With McCall also signing a new deal, that can only help the likes of Higdon and Humphrey signing for another couple of years.

Players will always move on from the club and we have always got in more than adequate replacements every season (aside from Daley).

Did a bit of research with the help of some folks over at Pie and Bovril.

Here's a list of non Old Firm players who have scored 20+ goals in a season since the the beginning of the Premier League.

1975/76 - Willie Pettigrew (Motherwell) 22

1976/77 - Andy Ritchie (Morton) 22

1979/80 - Doug Somner (St.Mirren) 25

1982/83 - Davie Dodds (Dundee Utd) 22

1984/85 - Frank McDougall (Aberdeen) 22

1985/86 - John Robertson (Hearts) 20

1987/88 - John Robertson (Hearts) 26

1987/88 - Tommy Coyne (Dundee) 33

1992/93 - Duncan Shearer (Aberdeen) 22

2004/05 - Derek Riordan (Hibernian) - 20

2009/10 - Anthony Stokes (Hibernian) - 21

2012/13 - Billy Mackay (Inverness) - 20*

2012/13 - Leigh Griffiths (Hibernian) - 20*

2012/13 - MIchael Higdon (Motherwell) - 22*

* with 5 games of season remaining.

It's perhaps a little ambitious to expect Michael Higdon to score 12 more goals and break Tommy Coyne's record but could he match John Robertson's 26? One more goal overhauls Willie Pettigrew's record.

• Like 1

the fact that only 11 people managed it in 35 years (many of which had 44 game seasons) and now 3 players have done it in a single season speaks volumes as to the quality of the league.

niall mcginn will probably make it as well and murphy and russell would have if they played full seasons.