Motherwell Vs St Mirren....

Well 4 Europe

Like all our players ZFA has his limitations and weaknesses. If he didnt he would still be at Spurs. Thought he did fine yesterday and I think he will go on to be a very important player for us.

He is not a defender, he's much better going forward. I don't mind him filling in for Hammell if he's injured but long term I don't think his future is at left back.

The referee really did seem poor, and wasnt helped by his linesmen!

Not biased, just really bad, seemed to lack any confidence in his decisions, was indecisive and strangely picky about our throw ins! I've never seen 3 foul throws given since I was in the BBs!!

But they were foul throw-ins, so hardly the referees fault and certainly not something that should reflect on his performance whether good or bad, wouldn't you agree - players maybe to blame?

But they were foul throw-ins, so hardly the referees fault and certainly not something that should reflect on his performance whether good or bad, wouldn't you agree - players maybe to blame?

Yes and no. Foul throws are one of those things that you see in almost ever game but referees rarely seem to give. So you can understand players being less concerned about sticking to the letter of the law. On the one hand you could say that perhaps the referee yesterday was more observant, but given the context of his overall performance I'd be more inclined to say he was officious. Not to mention some of the fouls he awarded that were completely baffling.

Any mention of Ojamaa's offside? Thought he was an absolute mile on at the time, running from behind his man.

Faddy's throw in attempt was hilarious though. laugh1.gif

I thought the 1st one was a panic as it had caught stmirren sleeping and put lasley in on goal. 2nd one would normally be retaken (I was told an identical one was retaken in the Friday game?) and I never saw the 3rd one.

Technically they may all have been foul throws, but referees don't normally give them, so to get 3 in one game is bizarre!

The foul he gave against lasley for riding a challenge was terrible!!

Totally bizarre. As others have said these occur in most matches and is one of my hobby horses. At Dens Park last weekend I counted 7 but am sure there would have been more. I reckon in our games we must have something like 150 - 200 per season with about 2 or 3 being picked up by the referees. 3 given in one game ???

I thought it was an entertaining game that we should have won yet such is football only a bit of Faddy magic got us anything out the game. First half the tight affair I expected, Randolph smothered a few chances as Saints tried to get in behind us. Can't help but feel if Goncalves was playing they might have had more joy. Anyway it was a well worked goal from us, great ball hung up by Lasley at the back stick and Higdon nodded in the same goal from the same area for the 3rd game running. Then as ever, we shoot ourselves in the foot by giving teams time and space around our box. Take nothing away from Newton as it was a fantastic strike but it's frustrating to watch it happen time and again.

Second half we really should have won it yet for all our possession we didn't make Samson work enough for my liking. The saves he made from Ojamaa and Humphrey were pretty routine, and every other shot just like at New St.Mirren Park earlier in the season was blocked by a Saints body. Although I did think the one Lasley hit that was deflected away from Samson was in but it landed just on the roof of the net and I also thought Faddy was going to bury the one where he left two or three Saints players in his wake during the 2nd half but sadly he dragged his shot wide. Then the classic sucker punch from St.Mirren with their first real chance of the half, poor defending by us as too many were caught ball watching but it was a well constructed move from Saints and well finished by Guy. Goal seemed to hit us for six and it was a daft foul by the Saints centre half to give us a way back into the game as Higdon was going nowhere. Still a lot of work for Faddy but he made it look easy, words can't describe how much I love that guy. Then both Humphrey and Higdon had chances to win it for us but it wasn't to be.

Couple of well worked goals, two goals of the highest quality, plenty of chances, plenty of good football and barely a bad tackle in sight. Was a thoroughly entertaining game of football. No real failures for us but at the same point I don't think any one can say they were at the top of their game.

What's more since the debacle in Dingwall we've now taken 14 points from a possible 18 and baring a major collapse should see us grab yet another European spot. After the summer we've had and the amount of moaning that's went on here during the season that's a pretty remarkable achievement.

Any mention of Ojamaa's offside? Thought he was an absolute mile on at the time, running from behind his man.

Faddy's throw in attempt was hilarious though. laugh1.gif

We were right on the line of Ojamaa's offside in the East Stand and sadly the assistant was bang on as he had strayed just off before the ball was played.

It was one of these days where in front of goal every little deflection didn't seem to help us and we really had to work for the two goals we got and that is why it is frustrating that we flushed two points down the toilet with such poor defending and concentration for their goals. Any time our player tried to have a shot like the one Connor Newton had he was closed down by a St Mirren defender encroaching on him like a fly to the nearest turd. Yet when the roles are reversed he gets all the time he needs to have a rattle. Granted it was an absolute peach of a finish.

Craig Samson must be one of the most improved players in Scottish football over the last five years some outstanding saves again yesterday.

Faddy's throw - the less said.

He is not a defender, he's much better going forward. I don't mind him filling in for Hammell if he's injured but long term I don't think his future is at left back.

I would probably agree with you. I do think ZFA looks like he could cover in a number of positions for us though. A player like that will be worth their weight in gold given how small our future squads are going to be.

Surprised no-one has mentioned Higgys excellent control of the ball using only his face!

Absolute classic comedy from the big man!

That was fantastic. Stepped into it and everything.

Like others have said Faddy should not be near a throw-in again.

As for ZFA, thought he did well yesterday, and will come good at LB

Yes ZFA is a midfielder. He aint a left back as i can testify that day up at Dingwall when we got pumped 3-0. I do think he's good with the ball at his feet and able to create chances.

there is a history of Motherwell fans judging players capabilities and writing them off for certain roles far too early in their limited appearances for us,

but it restores faith when you jump on the bandwagon

Surprised no-one has mentioned Higgys excellent control of the ball using only his face!

Absolute classic comedy from the big man!

Brilliant from Higdon! He had a good laugh about himself also.

Glad to see the back of St Mirren to be honest. They always look good against us but are comfortably bottom 6 every year. No idea how that works!!

As others have said, it would've been a travesty if we hadn't got anything from the game but our luck appeared to be out until Faddy stepped up... Faddy once again showed some sublime touches and has picked a few phenomenal passes now also. If I had one criticism of him though it would be he sometimes is quite slow to track back and St Mirren were quick to move the ball about when in possession which caused us problems.

We had some amount of chances and shots blocked at the last moment but I also thought we were quite slack at times. St Mirren first goal was some strike but we were too slow to put any pressure on the shooter for me.

Higdon not only has the goals in him, but his defensive abilities are outstanding too. He had one block in the first half when someone was inexplicably left unmarked at the back post.

Same goes for Humphrey; the ground he made up to get back and defend an attack in the second half had me on my feet applauding.

I would've liked to have een Higginbotham and Carswell feature at somepoint though. I think both these players really have something to offer.

Pretty entertaining stuff all round.

Higdon not only has the goals in him, but his defensive abilities are outstanding too. He had one block in the first half when someone was inexplicably left unmarked at the back post.

it was his own man that was left in acres of space, happened a couple of times when Higdons man went for back post and Higgy got drawn towards cross ball his man then backed off into space, important thing was Higdons effort/determination to recover and block, but definitely something to work on for the coaches, as other teams will see his focus on the ball and not the man and exploit it