2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

This on the beeb:

Randolph Departure

Stuart McCall braced for Darren Randolph's Motherwell departure

Manager Stuart McCall thinks there is only a "slim possibility" that goalkeeper Darren Randolph will stay on at Motherwell. The 25-year-old has been a key player at Fir Park since his arrival on a free transfer in 2010.

However, his deal expires at the end of the season and McCall is bracing himself for the Irishman's departure.

"I have been surprised that we have not had offers for him over the 18 months," said McCall.

"I would be absolutely delighted if we managed to keep Darren but I think it is a slim possibility.

"Darren has been outstanding for us and if I was managing in the Championship now I would go for him straight away - and that's not me trying to off-load him. "He is not only an outstanding goalkeeper, he is a really good guy, he is composed, he gets about his job, never lets us down - you would think I am his agent but I am not.

"I would be extremely surprised if he didn't have very good options."

Randolph, who was on standby for Euro 2012 but did not make the Republic of Ireland's final squad, was coy on his future.

"We have another five games left and I am the same as the other players out of contract," said the former Charlton keeper.

"Wherever it, is I want to play. That's why everyone is in football, to play.

"So wherever I can do that I will be there.

"If we could keep the core of the team then I suppose it will make it easier to decide."

McCall, who agreed a two-year contract extension in March, may have a major rebuilding job over the summer, with top-scorer Michael Higdon, Tom Hateley, Nicky Law, Chris Humphrey, Omar Daley, Simon Ramsden, Steven Saunders and James McFadden also out of contract at the season's end.

His final comment is an interesting one but I think we will struggle to keep the core of our team and, therefore, him.

Of the others I think Hateley (if Saunders stays), Daley, and Ramsden can leave with our blessing but we must do all that we can to keep Higdon, Faddy and Humf. Regarding Nicky Law I doubt that we have any say in the matter as he'll be off to bigger and better things elsewhere.

As an aside, Darren Barr has been freed by Hearts. Is he any good?

As an aside, Darren Barr has been freed by Hearts. Is he any good?

A bit like Brian MacLean - will play solidly well (at worst) for 88 minutes but then make 2 or 3 horrific blunders in the space of a few minutes. Prone to sudden rushes of blood to the head.

Pretty sure he means bounce games etc

He was talking about the U-20 games, you can play trialists in bounce games.

If the clubs they are contracted to are happy for them to go out on trial, then there isn't an issue with that.

Come back Boyle, sign this squad up for a couple of year, challenge for the league and generate some transfer fees.

I'm all for us being self sufficient but a wee bit of wise investment could set us up for years.

Wise investment?

I hope you're kidding!

You not remember the last time?

To be fair the "investments" we made last time in paying hundreds of thousands in fees & wages for the likes of Ged Brannan,John Spencer,Andy Goram,Karl Ready,Stevie Nicholls etc etc weren't exactly wise and none of them would have a sell on value higher than a begging note.

That being said,we will never invest in the squad to any extent,nevermind the extent we'd need to keep the current lot together

I take your point, that signing good younger players up on modest wages on longer contracts, with the hope of getting a fee is a far better model than signing guys in their 30s on £5k a week with no sell on value, and a poor attitude.

Celtic seem to be making a reasonable success at that. Although for every ki sung yeung or wanyama, there's a bangura.

Six month deals for all those out of contract, to see just how well we can do in Europe.

Even Daley? :stop:

In all seriousness I'm sure the club will do all they can to extent everyones deals. Unfortunatly thats unlikely to be enough in many cases.

Allan Preston, who is also an agent of course, said he heard Randolph was on his way to Nottingham Forest.

Could see that happening as Forest need a keeper.

They've got a 22 year old who's 1st choice at the moment after they sold Lee Camp.

They brought in a Kuwaiti keeper while McLeish was there but think that was the owner's decision not his & don't think he's too good from what I've heard, McLeish wanted an experienced keeper & had tried to sign Rob Green but the owner blocked it & signed the Kuwaiti instead.

Still hoping Randolph stays although don't think it's very likely.

He showed again last night just how good he is so will be a big loss to the team.

If he does end up at Forest though, would definitely make the effort to go down to the City Ground & cheer him on.

As long as the players who are defenatley moving on tell the manager of their intentions asap thats all he can ask for. So he can try and get replacements sorted or offer the others who may stay better terms with the freed up cash . We have done well when others have moved on so we should have confidence in the manager to carry on in the same vein

Not going to worry too much about next season, just enjoying the team we have.

Looking at the team we had out last night and where they came from though, there are bound to be players out there

Charlton reserves

Released by Reading

Released by Bradford

Youth system

Southend

Shrewsbury

Free agent

Rotherham

Free agent (ok, it's stretching the point with McFadden)

St Mirren

Free agent

There are players out there, just need to rely on McCall to find them. Given he brought in five of last night's starting eleven, I reckon he's earned a bit of faith...

• Like 4

When you look at that MB, you are 100% correct and makes our performances even more impressive!!

you can do the same for other teams

free agent

queen's park

released by preston

league of ireland

youth system

released by hibs

released by boro

youth system

airdrie

youth system

hartlepool

one of our biggest advantages this year has been having a team who are extremely familiar with each other. that's also why ross county have done so well.

Supposedly Stuart Mccall was at the St mirren game today looking at Craig Samson and Paul Mcgowan

Was interested to see where he would head today.

If he was at St Mirren, the obvious links are Samson and Harkins. Think if McGowan is to leave St Mirren, it will be to head south.