2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

Some of the greatest players I've seen in a Motherwell shirt were in the twilight of their career, so had no sell on value.

Davie cooper and tommy coyne are obvious ones that spring to mind.

All very well and good, but Douglas isn't so much in his twilight, but approaching a new dawn the following day, in a retirement home.

Some of the greatest players I've seen in a Motherwell shirt were in the twilight of their career, so had no sell on value.

Davie cooper and tommy coyne are obvious ones that spring to mind.

Yeah, but Douglas is 41 years old. He shouldn't even be in the equation.

Fair points!

5 years ago maybe.

The John ruddy one reminded me of a Billy Connolly tale of his mate from a council scheme out with his posh mates who were comparing house prices....

Posh mate: "What would you get if you sold your house jimmy?"

Jimmy: "about 60 days"

:lol:

what price success, eh??? players & management alike linked to nearly every decent club. should stay at the best decent club that is motherwell f.c. I guess, though, money & a chance to play at a higher level will always win.

what price success, eh??? players & management alike linked to nearly every decent club. should stay at the best decent club that is motherwell f.c. I guess, though, money & a chance to play at a higher level will always win.

It would be so much easier if we were just shite.

Reading FC closing in on Chris Humphrey

Reading FC are closing in on Motherwell midfielder Chris Humphrey.

The 25-year-old Jamaica international is out of contract with the Scottish Premier League club and is keen on a move to Berkshire.

It is understood that Royals boss Nigel Adkins has already enquired about signing the player.

Humphrey joined Motherwell in 2009 after spending three years at Shrewsbury Town.

The right winger has played 109 times for the Steelmen, scoring eight times.

A number of clubs have monitored him in the past, including Aston Villa, Liverpool, Sunderland and Swansea City.

Brian McDermott's Leeds United have also shown an interest recently.

Humphrey has been capped twice by Jamaica, but was kicked out of the squad last year for breaking a curfew, which he claimed he was unaware of.

Should he join Royals, he would link up with three of his international team-mates – Jobi McAnuff, Adrian Mariappa and Garath McCleary.

Reading have an abundance of wingers at the club, including Jimmy Kebe, Hal Robson-Kanu, Nick Blackman, Jordan Obita, McCleary and McAnuff.

Adkins is eager to build a side as quickly as possible ahead of next season's Championship campaign.

Reading's relegation was confirmed two weeks ago when they drew 0-0 with QPR, who have also failed to avoid the drop.

Any one of eight Premier League clubs will join them in the Championship next season.

Royals face Manchester City in their final home game on Tuesday (8pm kick-off).

They then bring their Premier League campaign to a close with a visit to West Ham at Upton Park on Sunday week.

http://www.getbracknell.co.uk/sport/football/readingfc/s/2133876_reading_fc_closing_in_on_chris_humphrey?

Id be pretty gutted to see humph go, never understood the stick he gets as although he can be a bit hit and miss he pretty much always puts in a decent shift both offensively and defensively, seems like a sound guy as well, always one of the first to come over and applaud the fans etc at the end of the games and is usually one of the last down the tunnel

• Like 3

A few journos now running stories on Law & Randolphs imminent departure with Stuart McCalls quote

He said in his MFC TV press conference they're both away.

Hardly shocking news though is it? I don't think anyone thought they'd actually be here next season and anyone who did was letting their heart rule their head. Both have been fantastic servants to Motherwell though and thoroughly deserve their big moves.

Best of luck to both of them.

From the BBC.

McCall states offers have been rejected for Law.

Wasn't aware of this but fair play to the club as he has been an integral part of the team in his time here.

Both Law & Randolph have been outstanding for us & go with my best wishes, hope to see their careers flourish over the next few years.

Hopefully Higgy will still be with us next season!

Motherwell: Nicky Law to leave Fir Park in the summer

Motherwell manager Stuart McCall has confirmed midfielder Nicky Law will leave Fir Park this summer.

Law joined the Steelmen on a two-year deal in the summer of 2011 and has been a regular in McCall's side ever since.

"Nicky Law will move on," McCall said. "He has loved his football and loved his time.

"When Nicky moves on he will go with our best wishes because he has been a joy to coach and given great moments to the supporters."

And the manager added: "I didn't think I would be able to get him to come to Scotland because he had really good offers financially in England, but he came. We have had offers and we rejected them."

Former Sheffield United and Rotherham player Law is one of a number of McCall's squad who is soon to be out of contract.

Goalkeeper Darren Randolph has been been linked with a move to Birmingham while top scorer and PFA Scotland player of the year Michael Higdon is also assessing his options.

On Randolph, McCall commented: "He hasn't signed a pre-contract at Birmingham. I know there is interest there, as there is from a lot of clubs.

"He has been an outstanding servant and he certainly deserves his move. We will all miss Darren and he will go with everyone's best wishes because he is a model pro."

However, McCall has not given up hope of keeping Higdon.

"He has loved his time here," explained the Fir Park boss. "He has different agents putting stuff in his head. It's all maybe.

"And Michael is new to that. He had a really good agent and unfortunately his agent has gone to a job in a club and can no longer be his agent. So I think he has got a lot of people trying to get him a deal and that has probably mixed his head up.

"We have given him our best offer, which is a good offer, and he appreciates that. But when you have got four or five agents telling you he can treble or quadruple it, then you have got to listen. But it comes to a stage where you have got to make a decision.

"I have had lots of people saying they would like to come here but until we get feedback from our current players we can't really say yes to them."

TBH I don't get the whole Agent hate. Players are the one's that make the decision to have an agent. It is the players that hire agents to take as much money they can get.

If an Agent says you can earn x at y club, doesn't mean said player needs to go. He does have his own opinion. Player chooses to leave, not an agent.

Michael Higdon is 29 years old and has had the season of his career scoring 27 goals in 42 games culminating in him being awarded the SPFA player of the year award. His stock will never be higher and if people think he's going to just dive in and sign the first contract put under his nose by Motherwell then they're being naïve in the extreme. After the season he's had he'll no doubt have teams down south offering him more money than we can, probably double what we can and he has every right to sit down and think what's best for him and his family. His next contract will probably take him through the peak years in his career and he might never get some of the offers he's getting this summer ever again.

I would love for him to stay but when players say they're going to wait until the end of the season and look things over etc. to my mind that means chances are they won't be here next season.

Hope I'm wrong mind and that he's still here next season but sadly can't see it, I think he'll want to cash in on the best season of his career and quite frankly who could blame him if he did? After the service he's given us he'd leave with my best wishes if he does go.

Hope I'm wrong mind and that he's still here next season but sadly can't see it, I think he'll want to cash in on the best season of his career and quite frankly who could blame him if he did? After the service he's given us he'd leave with my best wishes if he does go.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Always is the problem - always will be the problem.

The only way Motherwell players do not leave the club is if they are coming to the end of their careers or are Sh1te. We cannot compete with the wages of 60-70% of professional clubs in Scotland and England.

I would rather we have players like Ruddy, Randolph, Law, and Higdon and they play to their strengths and leave with our good wishes. Of course I would much rather we got a hefty transfer fee and it puzzles me we never got an offer for Randolph.

McCall is quoted as saying plenty of players want to come to Motherwell. No bloody wonder, we have proved to be a real boost to most players careers and increasing their earning power. You could reel of the names of players who have benefitted from a season or two at Motherwell. Hopefully that continues to act as a magnet.

Law, Randolph, Higdon, Humphrey and Faddy I would say are defo off and possibly even Hateley. I would also not rule out bids for Hutch and Ojamma. Daley will also be offksi. Just hope the manager stays.

Still we will rebuild and it will be exciting to see what players we bring in, because at this rate we may be looking at 7 or more............

Agree with the last couple of posters , Higdons stock never has been , and possibly never will be as high , and pushing 30 that will be the major factor in his thinking .

He has been a perfect fit in this current team , and if they were together for another season , a tilt at the cups could have been a real possibility , and the chance of silverware along with the euro games a real incentive to stay . But with the wholesale changes we are sure to experience over the summer , the uncertainty over how things may pan out would imo lead most players to chase their big pay day .

Would love to see the big man stay , but with this being probably the biggest decision he will make in his career and possibly his best chance to seriously increase his earnings , I fear he will be another we will be wishing well on an imminent departure .