2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

I've never seen the guy play, but those stats reek of the kind of player we usually end up going for.

Have seen him play down here for Accy and he was excellent... definite potential.

My work is full of rumours about Randolph and Burnley. I reckon it'd be a decent stepping stone for him to the PL in a few seasons, similar to Ruddy.

As long as they go for footballing reasons and not to follow the money to zombieville.

Wherever they're going, they're following the money, let's be honest.

Not encouraged by these statistic suggesting we'd be swapping the best keeper in the spl for one of the worst --

http://sport.stv.tv/blog/209452-which-goalkeeper-has-stopped-the-most-shots-in-the-spl-so-far-this-season/

Not sure that any stats point towards him being one of the worst keepers , more just the fact that he plays in one of the worst teams. Certainly not the worst we could do anyway imo , but my personal preference would be giving Hollis his shot.

Most people keen enough to see what our fringe outfield players can do with an extended run , don't see why the keeper should be any different

If the Samson one proves to true I wouldn't be hugely upset at that. My perception of him is a player who has been on an upward spiral and who has matured into a solid SPL standard keeper. Not perhaps of the quality of Randy or Ruddy before him, but I think we could certainly do worse.

I think with any signings though this summer its how they fit into the bigger picture given the potential turnaround of players in the squad. It may be to retain or sign someone for a particular position we will have to compromise on another.

• Like 1

Samson is a very promising keeper, wil be good signing.

Don't know if promising is a word I would use PJ. 29 now and has certainly grown into his game over the past few years, still relatively young for a keeper I guess.

I would defo prefer him to Hollis but was hoping we maybe would have went a bit out the box on this and maybe brought someone in from elsewhere.

Samson is a proven SPL keeper so I suppose we can't complain.

Don't know if promising is a word I would use PJ. 29 now and has certainly grown into his game over the past few years, still relatively young for a keeper I guess.

I would defo prefer him to Hollis but was hoping we maybe would have went a bit out the box on this and maybe brought someone in from elsewhere.

Samson is a proven SPL keeper so I suppose we can't complain.

I thought he was younger than that, but as you say still very young for a keeper.

Not convinced. Can't see him generating the 12/15 points a season Darren Randolph has...

We can't set Randolph as the bar against which to judge his replacement because there's probably not a goalie anywhere in the world as good as him that we could get.

• Like 2

Fair play to all of the players that might be leaving. They have put in a real shift, given us some fantastic seasons and the pleasure of watching some excellent football at times also enabled us to qualify for Europe "again".

They have also managed to get better deals for themselves elsewhere. Everybody wins in my book but will be gutted to see any of them go.

If they leave the go with my very best wishes, respect and thanks.

I actually think it's a pretty shrewd piece of business. He's a proven keeper at SPL level (albeit at a pretty poor team), and I doubt his wages will be particularly high. We've certainly been spoiled by Ruddy and Randolph over the past few years, but it's not like we've got a particularly great pedigree of actually making any money from the players we've brought up from England.

I suppose my point is that whilst Samson perhaps doesn't have the same 'excitement' factor as an untested keeper from down south who we know nothing about, it's a solid signing.

With any luck, this may give us scope to spend a little bit more of the wage budget on a replacement for Law. I'd be confident enough with McHugh and Moore as strikers (if Higgy goes, which I'm not convinced he will), but we'd need someone to make them tick.

I don't think we need to particularly worried about next season. Our last rebuilding exercise under Gannon worked out pretty well, so there's no reason to suggest that this won't happen again.

• Like 1

We can't set Randolph as the bar against which to judge his replacement because there's probably not a goalie anywhere in the world as good as him that we could get.

Could not be more true, we would be spawny as hell finding someone as good as Randolph again. If he can be a decent shot stopper, not drop much in way of clangers and not flap at crosses that'll tick enough boxes to be a decent keeper who might earn us a few points if not as many as Randolph did. Hopefully he is coming into his prime.

I've not got him on my radar as a blundering liability, so hoping he is at least a steady replacement.

1368305215[/url]' post='382231']

blink.gif Eh? Who/What would you judge his replacement against? Could be spoiled, but too much to expect our mainstay to secure 4 to 5 wins?